Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Highland Park Photo Hunt Help

Hoping I might call on a few old friends here to help me in a hunt for a specific image from Highland Park. Here's what I have to go on....

I originally stumbled on the image while researching something else about a year ago. If I recall correctly, it was part of a larger digital photo collection that was not Detroit specific, but had maybe a couple dozen Detroit related images. Possibly an out of state library, or automotive collection, or something like that.

The image was ca 1925, and was a view looking south down Woodward from just north of Manchester. The view was looking to the SE, and was taken from what I expect was the roof of a building on the NW corner area of Woodward and Manchester.

In the image you can see part of Manchester heading east off Woodward, as well as Victor and Gerald where they intersect Woodward. It may have been a view all the way to the Medical Arts Building but I can't quite recall.

It was one of your typical street scene shots, taken at mid day, with the expected motor and pedestrian traffic.

I remember being excited as I had never seen much street level imagery of that stretch of Woodward from that time period. And for some reason I didn't follow my usual habit of either grabbing the image and/or bookmarking the URL.

So I've been left to wander the wastes of Google Images trying in vain to track it down. I've about given up but I thought I'd ask the collective here to see if it rings a bell with anyone.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Have you tried the Virtual Motor City's images? There are a few images if you search for 'Manchester'. You could search for the other roads, too.

Thanks for the suggestion, archfan. Sadly it's not in the VMC or Burton image collection. I've also checked Reuther and Bentley as well. I've been researching Detroit history for over 20 years now and have the usual suspect sites nailed down. That's been the issue, really. The only time I've seen this image is in this oddball non-Detroit collection.