Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Downtown Pub Crawl?

What downtown bars are a must hit on a downtown pub crawl on a friday night?

Detroiter, Delux [[if u like to dance), Harry's, Gaelic League, Big City [[inside Holiday Inn), Cliff Bells, and the Old Miami are all pretty cool bars that are in different areas of the downtown Detroit area. They are also a wide variety of types of bars. My new favorite spots to chill and drink are at U-Me-Drink or the Ice Bar @ MGM. Alot of people will probably say the new Bookies, but I do not like the staff, layout of the bar, or the atmosphere.

Other good places are Old Shillelagh, The Detroit Beer Co, and Town Pump,

Good luck and please be safe. Most people don't realize that Taxi's aren't really that expensive.

Start your entire group with a pocketful of Detroit Cheers Bucks.

Go to either the Motor City Brewing Works or Foran's first for some grub, then make it also to the other of the three founders...The Park Bar...for another, walk next door to Cliff Bells.

Do that circle, but watch for the Old Miami on Fridays, it is pretty loud and annoying for some folks...although the sunset out back would be KILLER.

Stopping through Checker and Greenwich while you're down near Foran's would be great, always nice to give the sisters at Checker more business...and the Anchor on the other side of town would be a good stop.

If anyone wants sushi...and a quieter start for the evening...don't forget Oslo. Probably the best acoustics of any place in the city...you never get echoed out of the room!

Cheers, this sounds like fun...hire the folks who run that bio-diesel bus on Woodward to be your shuttle...

It might be fun to ONLY go to the places that support the Cheers bucks...make it so that is the only currency your group starts with...

I think it depends on the size of the group and their adventure quotient.

Nancy Whiskey in north Corktown is old skool kool. Harry's and The Comet, and if you really want to scare the hair off your head, The Temple Bar.

Gnome,

I just learned that a few of my high-school friends have been regulars at Tom's Tavern for years...likely you already know them.

Cheers!

[[only now realizing the synchronicity between my long-time signoff and those bucks...heh)

Gnome or Gannon, I've never been to the Temple.....what IS the deal with the place? I've heard good and bad.

Stromberg2

Cetaur and The Village Pump both are a must. If you hit the east side make sure to go to Cadieux Cafe. If anyone suggests Motor Bar, don't bother. I echo sentiments about the Old Miami-best dive bar you'll ever find.

If you know anybody in U of D circles, The Ratskeller and Tom's Tavern are a must. Tropical Hut on Livernois south of Fenkell used to be the place, but its not for your typical middle class suburban folk.
    Last edited by hybridy; August-21-09 at 12:42 PM.

Ask Mr. Fearless, I cannot even grace a door of a place unless I'm sure someone I know is on the other side waiting for me with a smile and more.

Took me almost twenty years to get into the Bronx...and I used to live across the street from it! [[walked by it to get to the Miami, where I knew people, DOZENS of times...)

Hybridy,

That would be the TOWN Pump, and Centaur, but we knew what you were saying.

Yeah, Sean's places are on the top...yeah, TEN list...easily. I just haven't spent quality time in the Town Pump after their first couple of years when they got really busy.

If Willie were still there, maybe...he was always worth the effort.

The Detroiter rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Hybridy,

That would be the TOWN Pump, and Centaur, but we knew what you were saying.
    Thanks for the clarification, being away for a year and u go all fuzzy

I would strongly recommend Jacoby's. Great food, great beer selection, good staff, and stiff drinks in Bricktown since 1901 or so. Unfortunately, though, they're closed for a few weeks due to a flood.

Stromberg2, The Temple Bar, is a skanky tranny and hooker hang out with a sprinkling of out-of-work pimps, welfare cheats and City Employees.

Never drink out of a glass there, never out of a can. Bring hinnywipes and clean the beer bottle before downing a frosty PBR.

A general word from the voice of experience. If it is a sunny day, close your eyes for 20 seconds before going into a dark dive bar. If something is going to happen, ita going to happen within a few seconds of walking in the door. Dialated eyes will put you at a disadvantage.

Same for leaving. Adjust your eyes before leaving and then pause in the doorway, survey the scene, then make your move. Walking into the sun after being in a dark bar will blind you. Anyone waiting outside will know that you'll be blind for a second or two.

If you want good beer go to the old schelelgh [[sorry about the spelling) allthough they are a little pricey and they have the balls to charge a cover.

Nemos and Beaubien Street.

We scared the hell out of some out of town relations a few years ago, when we took them to the Temple, then Comet Bar.
    One remarked "this is scary, it seems like and Eddie Murphy movie set..."
    They were incredulous at the sight of the goats next door.
    The thing is, they asked to see some of the "real Detroit".
    Another thing: Each time we see each other, they mention how much they enjoyed the night!

Hey - don't mean to jack the thread, but are Cheers bucks in circulation now? I read about them a long while back in the paper, but have heard nothing since.....

I just spent some and the beer I bought with them was terrific.