Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default No Crimes Reported in 2017 on Belle Isle as of Last Month

The revival of a great city is not achieved by winning some giant battle but instead by an accumulation of small victories. Here is another one:

State police revealed crime statistics for the last five years, 2012 through 2016, and for the first four full months of 2017. Some 90 crimes were reported during that time span, though reports have trailed off in the last three years, when crime incidents totaled five in 2014, seven in 2015 and five in 2016. Those statistics account for non-aggravated assaults, weapons, narcotics, drugs, DUI, disorderly conduct and vandalism.

Belle Isle is Michigan’s most popular state park, and logged some 4 million visitors in 2016, a 14 percent increase from the 3.6 million visitors in 2015. In 2017, visitor numbers are expected to reach 4.2 million.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...sle/101748396/

Loved Brenda Jones comment about Mayor Duggan and City Clerk Winfrie getting pulled over with a warning.... I hope she's not going to be a "do you know who the f*** I am?" kind of person, should she ever get pulled over....

That's great news.
    Last weekend one of the new hangouts was borderline scary. 3-4 in the morning sounded like 10. Can anyone guess where?

^^Well, 3-4 in the morning sounds like people congregating after the bars let out. Nothing too scary about that as long as the weapons stay put up. My first two guesses would be Chandler or Rouge park.

I so miss being able to go to Belle Isle at 3 in the morning after the bar, some good times. My friends and I never had any problems at night. During the day, however, I had a few run-ins with hood rats I could've done without.

If there really are no crimes to report then that means it's safer on the island during the day, and the cops aren't going after every little thing, which is good.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; June-09-17 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    That's great news.
    Last weekend one of the new hangouts was borderline scary. 3-4 in the morning sounded like 10. Can anyone guess where?
    Is it Tyler Chesky's basement?

YAY Detroit! a crime free Belle Isle. You can also thank the Michigan State Police for helping out. Belle Isle is a state controlled Metropark. So enjoy it folks.

BTW... Detroit still owns Belle Isle so Detroit Police will be doing heavy patrols there.
    Last edited by Danny; June-10-17 at 05:35 AM.

Now if this transfers to the rest of the city, we can call this progress.

Detroit is kinda like a puzzle,thousands of little pieces being snapped together to get the big picture.

^^^ Some of the pieces being beat into place with a hard mallet. But I am glad that Belle Isle is coming along well. Do miss the late night drives thru there though...

why aren't late night drives allowed anymore?

^^At the time the decision was made, we were going through bankruptcy, and the city was scaling back police expenditures. Not that you saw a whole lot of police presence there at night to begin with. There were also a few shootings, not sure what time of the day they occurred.

Now that the state patrols the island, I'm wondering why we haven't revisited the nighttime hour access conversation. I hear lots of Detroiters talk about how they miss it and enjoyed spending their hot summer nights sleeping with their kids in mosquito net tents or in the back of their trucks. Even extending access to midnight would be better than 10, shoot, in the summer it's still light outside well past 9.

^^ Shutting it down early, is probably a big reason why crime is down.