Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Another 84 Housing Units Proposed In Midtown [[Near VAMC)

Apparently this was part of the same RFP which yielded the Wigle Rec. Center site project.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article..._medium=social

Name:  sugarhill.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  53.8 KB

They just keep on coming. It's almost on a weekly basis we hear of this now, it's almost becoming old hat.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ent/102666808/

Lot of very good detail in this Detnews article. Very impressive.

Lot of retail space and parking.

I wonder what rent will go for. Seems like all new developments are targeting high incomes and setting aside 20-25% for low incomes, not so much in between though.

Great news. Nice architecture and properly scaled for the area. Keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    They just keep on coming. It's almost on a weekly basis we hear of this now, it's almost becoming old hat.
    I know this upgrade is on the OTHER side of Woodward, near WSU, but two buildings have been sold and the new owners plan improvements.

Didn't know if it made sense to start a new thread...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...&view=homepage

I find these building plans specious. Because? The population in Detroit is not growing. Where do these developers expect to get their population to inhabit these buildings from?The same is happening in Chicago. We have about 22 cranes building across the city, yet we lost 6,000 in population. Who's going to live in these apartment and commercial buildings.

People? They can't build stuff fast enough in Midtown

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    I find these building plans specious. Because? The population in Detroit is not growing. Where do these developers expect to get their population to inhabit these buildings from?The same is happening in Chicago. We have about 22 cranes building across the city, yet we lost 6,000 in population. Who's going to live in these apartment and commercial buildings.
    As I posted elsewhere [[different thread), some neighborhoods are losing population [[e.g., empty nesters, elderly dying, etc.) while other neighborhoods are getting folks 'migrating' to the neighborhoods. Some of the migration might be internal [[within the city) other might be folks moving from the 'burbs for the attractions or to work in say downtown, Midtown, New Center, etc.

I think the most important numbers, aren't population or even new housing units, BUT increases in EMPLOYMENT in CBD, Midtown, New Center, etc.

Employment growth should drive increase in population.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-15-17 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    And yet most of these places get snatched up and wait lists occur.

I mean is losing 6,000 in a big city that big a deal? As well, the wealthy love their pied-a-terres so I would assume these could be second homes.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    And yet most of these places get snatched up and wait lists occur.

I mean is losing 6,000 in a big city that big a deal? As well, the wealthy love their pied-a-terres so I would assume these could be second homes.
    OR maybe how about this:

Detroit's 'explosive' population growth in Midtown/Brush Park is partially in the pipeline, well over 1,000 new housing units announced by Ilitches, Gilbert, The Scott, etc.

There will be a mini-surge in 2018 and 9 as these new units largely become available.

So maybe the trend will accelerate at the end of this decade.