Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Central Park Apartments

So does anyone know anything about Central Park Apartments in Lafayette Park? They are right across the street from the new Ducharme Place develop. These places were built in the 60's and were purchased a few months back and are going through extensive renovations.

http://www.centralparkdetroit.com/

Anyway, they are going for around $1000 for a 1-bedroom and I just wonder if anybody knew anything about them?

I haven't been able to find much of anything about them from even before these renovations.
    Last edited by hinglemac; June-07-17 at 09:37 PM.

Over the years they had faded and become somewhat shabby. The recent renovations have certainly perked them up. The several buildings surround a courtyard with a pool which their new web site casts in a very glamorous light. [[Be sure to click on the link hinglemac posted.)

They sure seem to be appealing to a younger group of renters. Example: on their web site, what had been named "storage" on the old floor plans for the two bedroom units is now outfitted as a small exercise room. The plans I'm posting, along with the web site's three-dementional drawings give a good sense of the apartment sizes.

Name:  Central Park Plaza 1.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:  Central Park Plaza 2.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  116.3 KB

Does anybody know anything? That's a pretty vague question care to be more specific?

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Does anybody know anything? That's a pretty vague question care to be more specific?
    Ok, more specific.

So I was looking to possibly move there due to all the renovations they have going on.

Not that this is an indicator nowadays, but I guess I was wondering about the history of the place, like if it was a place known for having a lot of problems with things like safety or bugs or anything like that.

I know there are just some places to completely avoid, like Boydell properties, and I haven't found anything positive or negative about Central Park historically.

I'm betting that all the modernist housing west of Dequindre cut will be trendy and sought after, especially following renovations and improvements like these. It only makes sense: quality housing in a central area and walking distance to all the amenities downtown. The area is a huge asset to Detroit. Infill development will boost this area into the next level, adding new residents and business while also making if feel more 'fresh'.

Also, for the record, I did go by those places the other day and am interesting in renting. The renovations are in full-tilt and it's not quite up to what's in the renderings.

I guess another thing that goes through my mind is how cheap they are compared to Ducharme next door, which I would imagine is due to the fact that they aren't brand new and don't offer the same amenities. A 1-bedroom at Central Park would run just over $1000 after including the pet fees and parking.

Another reason they are perhaps that cheap is because they are still working on the property?
    Last edited by hinglemac; June-08-17 at 10:39 AM.

Wasn't this complex originally built with money from the teacher's union? I know the nearby [[and now demolished) Rochdale Court was intended as a sort of retirement complex for teachers, but my family knew a former DPS teacher who lived in these Central Park apartments for a while. I remember going to visit her when I was a kid and thinking how cool it must be to live in a place that to my young mind seemed like a Holiday Inn.