Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Police Patrols Near WSU And The Area Around It

Detnews has a nice piece on how many police organizations and others [[e.g., DTE, criminal justice system) are cooperating to make not only WSU's campus but also Midtown safe.

And I'm sure there are a lot more beside what were mentioned in the article.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ety/102503952/

The VAMCs have their own police service. Other area hospitals most likely do as well although I'd assume their jurisdictions are limited.

The jurisdiction for the WSU police seems pretty broad.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-05-17 at 10:24 AM.

Nice Job that the DTE Energy and WAS Police put to bait cars and bikes into the streets. It will deter crime in a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Detnews has a nice piece on how many police organizations and others [[e.g., DTE, criminal justice system) are cooperating to make not only WSU's campus but also Midtown safe.

And I'm sure there are a lot more beside what were mentioned in the article.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ety/102503952/

The VAMCs have their own police service. Other area hospitals most likely do as well although I'd assume their jurisdictions are limited.

The jurisdiction for the WSU police seems pretty broad.
    WSU officers go through the DPD academy have city-wide jurisdiction.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    WSU officers go through the DPD academy have city-wide jurisdiction.
    How are they funded? Equipment, man hours, pay, benefits, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    How are they funded? Equipment, man hours, pay, benefits, etc.
    From what I've heard, they make more than DPD, have better benefits, newer equipment...

At the end of the day, they face the same risks that all the boys in blue do.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMichigan View Post
    From what I've heard, they make more than DPD, have better benefits, newer equipment...

At the end of the day, they face the same risks that all the boys in blue do.
    Yes, Thanx, but where does the funding come from? Tax Payer based? Tuition funded?

Yes, Thanx, but where does the funding come from? Tax Payer based? Tuition funded?
    Both taxes and tuition I would assume. As well as grants, subsidies, etc.

It's impossible to break down what all the revenue sources are. Probably mainly the WSU general fund, which has numerous sources.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    It's impossible to break down what all the revenue sources are. Probably mainly the WSU general fund, which has numerous sources.
    According to a friend in the department, they are funded mostly through WSU.

Also, although they are technically part of the DPD, they are pretty much their own entity. I think they even do their own training.

This from a NY Times article from a couple of years ago. I read that it is funded by Wayne State with additional grants.

All of Wayne State’s officers are commissioned by the Detroit Police Department, with the same enforcement powers as the city’s force. The department’s hiring standards, though, are stricter: Wayne State requires its officers to have a bachelor’s degree, while city officers need only a high school diploma. The two departments collaborate closely, and of the 1,362 arrests made in Midtown last year, 61 percent were made by Wayne State’s officers.
    With a larger budget from the university and grants from several foundations, Wayne State’s police chief, Anthony D. Holt, a 38-year veteran of the force who became its leader in 2008, expanded his department and shifted some of its practices.

Excellent.

Do we see similar arrangements in other large cities? E.g., Temple University in Philly?