Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mike Duggan vs Coleman A Young II [[Joel Loving), "A Tale of Two Detroits"

On WHPR, Coleman A Young II, has his own show on Sunday evenings called "The Young Effect" that gives people the chance to call to express their local issues.

He has served in state government representing Detroit in both House and Senate.

However, although Coleman A Young II isn't his born name, that name alone has come to his advantage with those who have supported his father.

In his TV political commercial, "A Tale of Two Detroits", there was little to lie about in the concept. The majority of the point made was as truthful as it could get.

As a Detroit resident, I understand the message that comes from it.

However, it will take more than a mere commercial to get my support.

Mike Duggan has done a lot during his term. Some issues that were never addressed during previous administrations of other mayors.

For example, public transportation. The improvements are small, from 24hr routes, to bike-sharing throughout the downtown-midtown-new center area.

There is more businesses in Detroit than there was years ago. A comic book store recently opened downtown along with other businesses that I visit frequently.

Despite the positive, "A Tale of two Detroits" still lives on.

At this moment, he has also received a lot of endorsements from the Police, Fire, pastoral, even with some that worked with Young II's father.

I'm not trying to predict the results of the Detroit mayoral primary, but.....

It seems likely that these two will face each other after the primary.

The future of the City of Detroit is in the hands of the voters in November.

Which brings me to the point of this thread...

"A Tale of Two Detroits"

I would like to know from those in the thread, have you ever been outside those three areas of Detroit?

Downtown, Midtown, New Center

We'll include the Riverfront as well

Have you visited the other communities around the city? Share your experiences and while doing so, please share your opinions on how the "Two Detroits" can become one and what would it take.

I live just outside New Center, in LaSalle Gardens. A fun little melting pot.

To your third question, I think the platform of Ingrid LaFleur covers a lot of what I'd like to see. Especially the solutions under "Family Support" and "Own The Future."

Platform

People-first values will inform every activity of government and shape the culture of our city.

1. Government for the People

Challenge:

Re-centering government focus on improving the lives of its citizens

Solutions:
    – Human-centered rather than bottom-line governance
    – Ensure every citizen is properly served and protected
    – Heal the systems that create poverty
    – Increase transparency to empower our citizenry
    – Engage architecture, art, and design to inspire civic engagement

2. Family Support

Challenge:

The family is the building block of any prosperous city. How to ensure Detroit’s families receive the support and partnership of their city?

Solutions:
    – End Water Shut-offs by implementing the Affordability Plan
    – Make mental health services a priority; Create neighborhood health services
    – Expand express bus routes in neighborhoods
    – Implement school gardens, and increase overall access to fresh food
    – Raise minimum wage
    – Stringently regulate clean air and water initiatives
    – 100% literacy achieved through student and youth literacy brigades
    – Create healthy re-entry programs for returning citizens via skills training, employment placement, and mental health services
    – Support activity centers and homeschooling options as public schools close
    – Protect immigration rights
    – Implement restorative justice practices such as meditation instead of other forms of punishment in schools

3. Detroiters Building Detroit

Challenge:

Using the talents and skills of Detroiters to manifest the future we desire

Solutions:
    – Increase training in design and technology
    – Require companies and investors to hire Detroit citizens by revising and strengthening the Community Benefit Agreements
    – Increase citizen hire in high-level city government
    – Increase entrepreneurial education programs for youth
    – Create a Cultural Affairs Department
    – Beautify our neighborhoods through the arts
    – Invest in skill training in green energy jobs and the marijuana industry
    – Reopen the city airport
    – Create a neighborhood policy and youth council

4. Own the Future

Challenge:

Keeping all of Detroit at the forefront of technology and innovation

Solutions:
    – Internet access for all; Create community wireless networks
    – Commit to a revitalized technological infrastructure
    – Become a global leader in innovation by fostering imaginative collaboration
    – Invest in and grow the creative sector
    – Invest in emerging industries
    from here: http://lafleurformayor.com/

Thank you for your input. Although it may be difficult for her during the primary election as a write in, I do wish her the best of luck.

Much of the solutions addressed need to be brought to bear. However, I do find it interesting that organizations like the Detroit Police and Fire association, as well as pastors are quick to endorse Mike Duggan, but then I do also understand that most of the police and fire dept aren't really residents of Detroit, and don't really vote here.

Yet they do have a say in the administration.

I look forward to seeing more future posts.

As stated in another thread, I think people have simply moved beyond the divisive and dark Coleman Young era and would prefer not to return to it.

That's not to say CAY wasn't an effective mayor for his time [[he was in many respects), but I think everyone in hindsight now realizes the politics from that period helped to sow the seeds of the Detroit we're left with today.

What happened with Kwame Kilpatrick [[as it had taken place around the same time as Autopocalypse) really opened people's eyes in terms of how FUBAR things were/are.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-05-17 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    Have you visited the other communities around the city? Share your experiences and while doing so, please share your opinions on how the "Two Detroits" can become one and what would it take.
    So I sometimes find myself commuting on Schoolcraft to escape the hell that is the Jeffries-Southfield Interchange. Anyway, when I'm driving down and I always ponder what this area was like 35-50 years ago. It must've been full of life, businesses, and traffic. There's still a lot of traffic, but the area, straddling between Brightmoor with no money and some more working/middle class neighborhoods like Rosedale, Grandmont #1, and North Rosedale Park, it makes for an interesting confluence.

I also took Gratiot all the way from downtown to Easpointe a couple weeks back for the first time. Wow. I love the city and love what is happening in the 7.2. But everything I see outside of there or one of the prime residential neighborhoods makes me wonder how the hell we're ever going to clean up, stabilize, grow the entire city, both in businesses and population.

LaFleur has the following statement on her website:

Afrofutrism is a Practical Tool for Real Change
    I know what afrofuturism is, but I have no idea what she means by this. Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    LaFleur has the following statement on her website:

I know what afrofuturism is, but I have no idea what she means by this. Does anyone know?
    Perhaps she means using Afrofuturism as a way to empower black communities. Sounds cliche but just my guess.

The "what about the neighborhoods" people fail to grasp why the neighborhoods, and the suburbs for that matter, exist in the first place. The entire Metro area mostly grew to serve downtown, midtown etc, as with any city.

Detroit needs to continue to focus on what it has going for it [[big companies, good jobs, and entertainment) and how to make people want to live close to these things. You could pump $100 in to Brightmoor tomorrow and still no one would want to live there. Or you could spend 10 million in a neighborhood like "North Corktown" or Core City and get some decent ROI due to their proximity to what people already want.

Tale of two cities? Let me get this straight Colman Young Jr. is making the campaign promise to, if elected, stop all investment in the 7.2 and put it where exactly? Where is the other city? Does it have a downtown, midtown, and new center, etc.? The neighborhood I live in all the houses are being bought or held by the bank, the good ones at least. so where are the two cities? I don't get it.

It is political pandering that tries to drive a wedge between city residents with a us against them and is unhealthy.

It is easy to make a list of goals that people want to hear but at the end of the day it all needs to be paid for.

The city needs to build a solid tax base,it cannot survive on the certain parts that are well publicized,to grow strong it needs all of Detroit,unfortunately it takes time and patience.

No city has every neighborhood post card picture perfect and the ones that do the housing prices are so high that the average person cannot afford to live there,so is that a goal to strive for?

I would think the goal would be to unite the city as a whole where everybody is involved in thier little piece of the world,creating in fighting is a waste of time,energy and resources.
    Last edited by Richard; June-06-17 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ...I would think the goal would be to unite the city as a whole where everybody is involved in thier little piece of the world,creating in fighting is a waste of time,energy and resources.
    In her book, Soulful Reflections on the Detroit Riot, 1967, Bessie Williams Ernst begins by quoting Dr. Lionel Swan, President, National Medical Society:
    “You cannot maintain the Status Quo until everyone has a little status to quo about.”
    Last edited by Neilr; June-06-17 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    ...I know what afrofuturism is, but I have no idea what she means by this. Does anyone know?
    Just love these word games.

I don't know what afrofuturism means, but I'm quite sure that when I'm told, I'll still be called a racist.

In the meantime, I'll sit back and be amused by the BS created by hucksters. And I'll add afrofuturism to empowerment in the meaningless word list.

Alright, here is a definition of the world Afrofuturism:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrofuturism

And no, this word is not meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Just love these word games.

I don't know what afrofuturism means, but I'm quite sure that when I'm told, I'll still be called a racist.

In the meantime, I'll sit back and be amused by the BS created by hucksters. And I'll add afrofuturism to empowerment in the meaningless word list.
    Oh wow probably a white guy not understanding black culture. What a surprise!

Afrofuturism is thing, just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's not a thing with meaning to people.

I've lived and worked in at least 5 Detroit neighborhoods - raised in southwest Detroit - maintained area - Schoolcraft/Wyoming - watched it slowly die out - Fenkel/Meyers - hard to raise children there due to school problems and white flight - Grandmont - still maintaining although Schoolcraft and Grand River and Fenkel really look awful but the residential is nice - finally moved near downtown and for 28 years have really loved the area and watching the progress and the growth. It takes time and it takes community involvement. This area maintained without government involvement or money, but happy it's now available if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post

Afrofuturism is thing, just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's not a thing with meaning to people.
    Oh wow! Discounting opinions based on race. That's as likely to work as "Afrofutrism is a Practical Tool for Real Change".

White-boy Wes will stick with capitalism as a practical tool for real success.

Oh wow! Discounting opinions based on race. That's as likely to work as "Afrofutrism is a Practical Tool for Real Change".

Capitalism can be a practical tool for real success except that's not what we're talking about.

It's more accurately discounting ignorant race-based "opinions", which is completely acceptable.

... but I'm quite sure that when I'm told, I'll still be called a racist....
    I find it refreshing that many whites rarely feel a need to be concerned about such things.

May their numbers grow.

No matter the result of this year, I hope that some progress is made that blacks don't feel that they are being left behind, considering that I'm black as well.

Personally, the more diverse our city becomes, the better. However, the redlining of businesses and housing based on race has to come to an end.

Detroit is becoming better, but the neighborhoods simply have to be included in the revival regardless of who is mayor next year.

The neighborhood that I was raised in, Grandmont-Rosedale, was a very nice neighborhood. I loved living there. Now I currently live on Underwood, a street that used to have a block club, but over-time many of the long residents either died, or moved out.

The house that I live in now, used to be abandoned, before my family took it over and fixed it up for my uncle. He came back to Detroit from California and lived there until he died.

To this day, I'm still live there happy to know that our family isn't giving up on Detroit.

However, not all properties in the city have shared my experience.

There are plenty of empty spaces in my neighborhood. Many are stated to be owned by suburban property owners. This may be why there isn't any black businesses. Banks, property real estate owners in the surburbs and outside the city, or nation for that matter still own the land, refuse to sell and fail to take care of the properties they hold, and the city fails to enforce property laws that are suppose to force them to take good care of their properties.

Whoever becomes mayor, I hope will enact ordinances that will have those that fail to take care of their properties to be penalized for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    Whoever becomes mayor, I hope will enact ordinances that will have those that fail to take care of their properties to be penalized for it.

Let me get this straight,you are saying the the next mayor needs to include the neighborhoods and enact ordinances and penalize those who do not take care of thier property.

You said you live there,but I guess one can be unaware of local ordinances that already exist and are being addressed by the currant mayor.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...rds/343220001/

Where was all of this 5 years ago when nobody was addressing the city conditions and those that were did it for self enrichment.

The currant mayor has been in office 2 years and people are upset because the entire city is not rebuilt yet?

How exactly does one rebuild an entire city after 50 years of neglect in two years after starting out with a zero budget in relation to.

People view Philadelphia as a functional city but if you go there it is a patchwork of nice neighborhoods surrounded by blight,the difference could be from one block to the next,and they never filed for bankruptcy.

The places in the city neighborhoods that are getting the most attention now,were they devastated,burned out and stripped for years or were they somewhat already stabilized neighborhoods that could be realitively easier to put back on line generating the tax base and revenue that is needed to pay for some of the more devastated neighborhoods that will not bring much of a return after completion.The city cannot exist paying out $50 and collecting $30.
    Last edited by Richard; June-07-17 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post

It sounds like it is mostly [[or started as) a movement in the arts. How does it become a practical tool? How would it be used to effect change?

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    The "what about the neighborhoods" people fail to grasp why the neighborhoods, and the suburbs for that matter, exist in the first place. The entire Metro area mostly grew to serve downtown, midtown etc, as with any city.

Detroit needs to continue to focus on what it has going for it [[big companies, good jobs, and entertainment) and how to make people want to live close to these things. You could pump $100 in to Brightmoor tomorrow and still no one would want to live there. Or you could spend 10 million in a neighborhood like "North Corktown" or Core City and get some decent ROI due to their proximity to what people already want.
    I don't agree with the first part of your post, that the neighborhoods and suburbs exist to serve the city. Even parts of Detroit were existing and thriving on their own when annexed by the C.o.D. As for the second part, yes the city needs to invest where it will get the biggest bang for its buck.
    Some neighborhoods will continue to get short changed for sometime with just the basics, fire, police, trash etc for the time being.

The bigger question, it seems to me, is does Mr. Loving [[err... Young) have a realistic shot at unseating Duggan? And, if so, how much of a chance, and why?

I think the only way that the other candidates have a shot is by creating a division of us versus them,taking the burbs against the city aspect down to the micro city level.

As far as what those odds are,as we have found out,anymore I would not bet on them because you never can tell until the last vote is counted and the smoke of the aftermath clears.

I have always thought and looking from the outside in,that Detroit is in a unique situation when it comes to the rebuilding aspect and can be stronger by learning from the mistakes that other cities made in thier process.

The the hard lessons learned were that it takes not only a rebuilding of the CBD it is key to include the supporting neighborhoods,neither one can operate as a stand alone entity,they need the support of each other.

Detroit is on that path.

While rebuilding the CBD and neighborhoods lower income long term residents are going to be displaced because the goal is to increase property values which increases tax revenue,that is the goal of the city.

How a city handles this displacement is what determines its core.

The currant mayor has made it clear that as the city is rebuilding that issue will be addressed.

The difference is,he did not just say it ,he is actually doing it,which it does actually slow the rebuilding process down short term,but creates a more stable city long term.

That in turn from the investment side makes the city a pretty safe bet long term which really helps when it comes to bonding for improvements and infrastructure,which is badly needed.

It also tells the adverage person that the city is a safe bet when it comes to uprooting thier family and moving to the city.

I guess in short,and even though I do not always agree with per-say democrats,I think he is at this time the best person for the job and he has proved it by acting in the cities best interests long term.

If somebody does replace him based on a us verses them platform,it would not be in the best interests of the city as a whole,so if one is running,maybe it would be better to show how they can do a better job then what's being done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast