Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Mercedes-Benz, BMW Unfair?

On his recent visit to Europe, the President famously whined that Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Audi had unfairly sold too many luxury cars in the U.S., and that he would do something about it.

Now, I recognize that he was mostly fluffing his white-working-class base by confirming their prejudice that any setback for U.S. automakers must be the result of someone else cheating, but let's take his remarks at face value for the moment.

How many here agree that the Germans cleaned the clocks of Lincoln and Cadillac because of some sort of nefarious actions versus the idea that Lincoln and Cadillac just missed a fundamental shift in the market, aided by the crappy quality that was endemic in American cars in the 70s?

As a millennial, I look at Caddilac and see an old person's car. Thier marketing is boring [[even after moving to New York) and their cars are bland.

I think Lincoln is doing some interesting things from a design and marketing perspective, but I think people my age still see it as an older person's car/step below the BMW, Audi and Mercedes' of the world. I'm not a car designer, so forgive me for this vague description, but those three companies have done a better job making "edgy" "cool" and high-tech cars [[or at least emphasizing that in marketing better).

All that has nothing to do with nefarious actions or politics.

Volkwagen was the real jerks trying to spin the odometer relative to their emissions fraud.... I'm surprised the caddy is so non-descript in features.... compared to even a smaller Buick. Love that Northstar roar though......

Both Mercedes and Benzo way, WAY too expensive for my pockets re. repairs. Parts somewhat hard to find too. If I go foreign I do Toyota where I can find most parts at even the likes of Autozone! LOL!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-03-17 at 09:13 AM.

A Cadillac is just a trim change from another product.
    Definitely not worth the price, the standards are no tighter or better

Trump is a whiner, I have little respect the guy

Doesn't Mercedes own a very large plant in Detroit and Redford Township making large engines for trucks? Why does our president want them to shut that plant?

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    On his recent visit to Europe, the President famously whined that Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Audi had unfairly sold too many luxury cars in the U.S., and that he would do something about it.

Now, I recognize that he was mostly fluffing his white-working-class base by confirming their prejudice that any setback for U.S. automakers must be the result of someone else cheating, but let's take his remarks at face value for the moment.

How many here agree that the Germans cleaned the clocks of Lincoln and Cadillac because of some sort of nefarious actions versus the idea that Lincoln and Cadillac just missed a fundamental shift in the market, aided by the crappy quality that was endemic in American cars in the 70s?

Thats because all of the "whiny" liberals wanted to drive a pick up truck that was cloned with a luxury car that you cannot even carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back and pay $70,000 for the privilege of not being able to do it.

Then the whiny liberals cried so much because they could not afford to purchase a Mercedes or BMW that auto plants were established in the southern US to help the rest of the country from drowning to death from all of the tears.

The whiny liberals cried so much that there is really no luxury cars left presey because every car became a computer generated box epifiny that makes it hard to even identify what the heck it is even more.

Then of course even though this has been going on for years all of the sudden the whiny liberals look for reasons to pin it on Trump because in less then 6 months it is his fault that the auto industry has failed in whatever form that we can think of and we need more things to whine about and look for ways to call everybody names so everybody is well aware of our displeasure in the currant president.Because we are just no happy unless we can find or create a reason to whine even more.

Cadiliac,Mercedes,Jaguar,BMW,Lincoln all lost thier shine when they tried to appeal to the masses and offered entry level cheap trinkets that whiny liberals could park in front of thier $300,000 starter house that they bought while makeing $15 per hour because it was thier right.

As soon as they built those plants in the south the writing was on the wall,they were going mainstream.

They used to be cars that people wanted to own but few could which kinda kept them special.

I do like my 19 year old Jaguar that was built by Ford it is one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned.

Who cares what he said about it,the Germans bought or built the plants and steal mills to supply them on US soil years ago so no need to even try fluffing his white working class voters or try to turn it into a dividing rant.
    Last edited by Richard; June-02-17 at 06:35 PM.

Ignoring the idiotic, nonsensical, rant riddled with misspellings above...

If I were to buy a new car tomorrow, there would basically be only one car I would buy; the Buick Regal GS. If i were to stumble into a large inheritance there are only two cars I would consider; a Cadillac CTS-V, or the new Continental.

That being said, I feel the German and Japanese luxury car brands have done themselves a disservice by having so many models and variations of models. Case in point, BMW has 6 "series" of cars right now, each with at least two variants, not including their X SUVs and Z roadsters. Any marketer will tell you when you have that many models, with such little variation it hinders customer division making.

Lincoln and cadillac [[and Buick) have done a great job at reinventing themselves without trying to appeal to every niche market available in the upper classes of automobiles.

Do I think they're cheating? No. They just came into favor when Lincoln thought Americans were still buying two ton boats-on-wheels with opera windows, and Caddy thought a Cavalier with a Cadillac logo was good enough. I have a feeling the Germans and Japanese are over extended with their models now though, and we all know what happened to GM when they had the longest lineup in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Ignoring the idiotic, nonsensical, rant riddled with misspellings above...

If I were to buy a new car tomorrow, there would basically be only one car I would buy; the Buick Regal GS. If i were to stumble into a large inheritance there are only two cars I would consider; a Cadillac CTS-V, or the new Continental.

That being said, I feel the German and Japanese luxury car brands have done themselves a disservice by having so many models and variations of models. Case in point, BMW has 6 "series" of cars right now, each with at least two variants, not including their X SUVs and Z roadsters. Any marketer will tell you when you have that many models, with such little variation it hinders customer division making.

Lincoln and cadillac [[and Buick) have done a great job at reinventing themselves without trying to appeal to every niche market available in the upper classes of automobiles.

Do I think they're cheating? No. They just came into favor when Lincoln thought Americans were still buying two ton boats-on-wheels with opera windows, and Caddy thought a Cavalier with a Cadillac logo was good enough. I have a feeling the Germans and Japanese are over extended with their models now though, and we all know what happened to GM when they had the longest lineup in the industry.
    I always wondered why some feel it is necessary comment on spelling,is it thier way of trying to sound superior over everybody else or is it that they are unable comprehend the message so they lash out to make themselves feel better? Serious question.

I agree with the rest of your post that I read for content and to get the message without thinking that it was written in order to pay the bills,even after the first sentance said,why waste the time?

The Gran marquees [[if I spelled it wrong TS) was the last rear wheel drive comfortable riding car that most Old folks switched to after Cadillac,who had given up at that point.They lost that base.

The Cimarron Caddliac and the 8-6-4 debacial turned a lot off also,they all knew what was happening back in the 80s and laid the red carpet out.

I guess complacency has its price.

Because I am such a nice guy I left a misspelled word in there,hopefully it will make somebody's day all that much better.
    Last edited by Richard; June-02-17 at 07:47 PM.

I'm not sure exactly how the German car companies are structured, but the Japanese companies are organized into groups called zaibatsus. These are large conglomerates, similar to large internationals like United Technologies or Siemens, but even wider in scope. They usually comprise a couple of automotive divisions, steel, electronics, home products, and a bank. That last one is key, as the central bank can dump cheap money into the banking arm if one of these conglomerates is failing for some reason or another.

This would be more of an unfair advantage than anything. Remember all the hand wringing and shaming when two of the big three asked for a bailout? Nissan doesn't even need to pick up a phone - once their banking wing starts running lean on cash they get an automatic infusion from the central bank.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I'm not sure exactly how the German car companies are structured, but the Japanese companies are organized into groups called zaibatsus. These are large conglomerates, similar to large internationals like United Technologies or Siemens, but even wider in scope. They usually comprise a couple of automotive divisions, steel, electronics, home products, and a bank. That last one is key, as the central bank can dump cheap money into the banking arm if one of these conglomerates is failing for some reason or another.

This would be more of an unfair advantage than anything. Remember all the hand wringing and shaming when two of the big three asked for a bailout? Nissan doesn't even need to pick up a phone - once their banking wing starts running lean on cash they get an automatic infusion from the central bank.

That is how it should have been explained.

BMW group
    Mini Cooper,Rolls Royce,Bentley and the Volkswagen group.

Volkswagen group,Audi,Porsche,Scania,Skota,Lamborghini,Ducati .

Land Rover sold but they had it for awhile.

Everything from Two wheels up to large over the road trucks.

They are family owned and not really disclosed as to banking ties but they pretty much move Europe,and can easily absorb the billions that the emissions scandel cost.

When you have that much power you pretty much control the banks.

In the south here they have the steel mills and the factory's without the legacy costs of the US 2.5 so they could in this country undercut them to the point of non existence without batting an eye.

They said at the time they were not worried about the penalty as Volkswagen with all of its might was only a small percentage of thier revenue stream,which says they are into a lot more then they are disclosing.

I think thier presence in the US was only about 20% or less of total investments.

The US steel industry was crushed by a number of reasons but mostly by the dumping of foreign steel which is the whole concept,drive costs down to eliminate the competition.

BMW could take Fiat which actually paid little or nothing for Chrysler and own Chrysler easy enough,Ford and GM I do not believe would stand a chance in thier currant form.

Maybe that is why Ford is makeing the moves now that they are.

What you posted is kinda really about what this is all about combined with trade deals made in the past that may have generated quick cash and results at the time long term are dangerous to this country.

But some prefer to take the blind hate instead of really understanding what things are about try and turn it into a political mess,which is exactly why we are in this mess in the first place.

Here is thier 2016 annual report. Volkswagen group alone over 10,000,000 beating GM at 9.97

https://www.bmwgroup.com/content/dam...anzbericht.pdf
    Last edited by Richard; June-02-17 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Thats because all of the "whiny" liberals wanted to drive a pick up truck that was cloned with a luxury car that you cannot even carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back and pay $70,000 for the privilege of not being able to do it.

Then the whiny liberals cried so much because they could not afford to purchase a Mercedes or BMW that auto plants were established in the southern US to help the rest of the country from drowning to death from all of the tears.

The whiny liberals cried so much that there is really no luxury cars left presey because every car became a computer generated box epifiny that makes it hard to even identify what the heck it is even more.

Then of course even though this has been going on for years all of the sudden the whiny liberals look for reasons to pin it on Trump because in less then 6 months it is his fault that the auto industry has failed in whatever form that we can think of and we need more things to whine about and look for ways to call everybody names so everybody is well aware of our displeasure in the currant president.Because we are just no happy unless we can find or create a reason to whine even more.

Cadiliac,Mercedes,Jaguar,BMW,Lincoln all lost thier shine when they tried to appeal to the masses and offered entry level cheap trinkets that whiny liberals could park in front of thier $300,000 starter house that they bought while makeing $15 per hour because it was thier right.

As soon as they built those plants in the south the writing was on the wall,they were going mainstream.

They used to be cars that people wanted to own but few could which kinda kept them special.

I do like my 19 year old Jaguar that was built by Ford it is one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned.

Who cares what he said about it,the Germans bought or built the plants and steal mills to supply them on US soil years ago so no need to even try fluffing his white working class voters or try to turn it into a dividing rant.
    What's up with all the "Whiney Liberal" remarks? Is that really necessary to get your point across? I swear, liberals is fast becoming the most over used word in the dictionary, and half the people that use it, probably don't know the true definition. The OP, just stated how Trump, always plays the blame game, he's never wrong, and would never admit it, if he were. No need to make a thread about autos political, regardless where your political beliefs and loyalties lie, and other's views that don't line up with yours. Auto companies miscalculate the market, and make questionable decisions all the time, foreign or domestic, and people still buy cars.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-02-17 at 09:44 PM.

When one includes...

The president famously whined

I recognize that he was mostly fluffing his white-working-class base

You know what a fluffer is?

It was a good post that did not require the jab to get the point across.

No different then all of the name calling and spellcheck.

Auto companies miscalculate all the time I agree.

The scenario is this.

BMW/Volkswagen ships arrive at the port tomorrow with $20,000 electric cars,maybe sell those cars and take a multi billion dollar hit and not blink an eye,we already know that.

That would pretty much crush US auto manufacturers investments in the electric car world of things.

The ramifications would be felt across the country.

I guess it boils down to if we should keep helping the US auto makers and thier supply chain and all of those employees involved.

Or at the very least create a fair playing field on thier soil and if they fail so be it but really no point in cutting thier legs off in support of foreign firms and insure thier demise.

Or maybe it is better that the president does not do what he was elected to do and let the economy crash in a repeat of the 1930s and let things take its course under the rule of another country.

I am not bothered in the least if people do not care about my views or opinions and everybody is entitled to thiers.

It has just become popular when one disagrees with somebody it becomes a name calling,spell check school play yard.So if one feels the need to start a thread out controversial then they better be able to take what they are dishing out and not expect life to be a one way street.

I ain't ne'er seen no liberal drivin' no pickup any old how anyways. Only real men drive pickups as far as I is concerned. There.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I ain't ne'er seen no liberal drivin' no pickup any old how anyways. Only real men drive pickups as far as I is concerned. There.
    Or a Jeep Wrangler, to traverse the rocky terrain of Sterling Heights

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post

Lol or in Fl where everybody has to have 4x4 but 99% never use it,the Jeep Wrangler seems to be the newest fad,all tricked out for 4 wheeling but scared to actually go because the paint might get scratched. To each there own I guess.

Thing is the smaller business guy starting out gets a used truck to get by,1500 series does not hold up so it is a 2500 series.

Buisness starts getting better so it is time to treat one to a nicer truck and customers do judge professionalism by the truck you show up in.

You want a basic truck because the more options there are the more things are apt to break and when things break under warranty you lose work and money.

My friend that does hauling has a 2 year old F250,one of his workers jammed the trailer plug in wrong,which is almost impossible to do,it blew the turn signal fuse.Simple enough replace the fuse.

That truck has 6 different fuse panels with fuses related to the turn signals.So much for the KISS theory.

Auto companies build for the demand,in Fords case they sell the most trucks and most are luxury trucks equal to a Cadillac but thier car sales lack.

Fourtanaly for the small business guy Nissan has the answer with the Titian V8 and useing the Utility code when ordering they provide a basic,tough truck with power and a basic no frills package.

In the south and with the self employed they are gaining ground fast and are replacing Ford and GM and that says a lot because usually they were die hard Ford or GM fans.

I see a lot here driving the King ranch at $70,000 that never sees so much as a bag of mulch thrown in the bed,that is were the luxury car market evolved into the luxury truck market.

Doctors,lawyers,etc. That used to drive Mercedes,BMW,Jaguar,and Caddliac now drive pickup trucks.

Us old folk that used to buy the Cadillacs because of the softer ride on the bones when hitting the potholes now get to choose between some econo box that lets you know when you drive over a small stick in the road or an import luxury car even though now built in the US they still like to support the big Three as American companies,but the big three kinda threw them by the wayside,giving them not much choice but to buy the larger BMW or Mercedes.

There used to be a guy in Iowa,every year he would order 2000 Trucks from Ford,basic no frills fleet trucks,but now the companies changed the upgrade packages so much your kinda stuck.
    Last edited by Richard; June-03-17 at 10:42 AM.

Only an idiot would take Trump at his word.

He's spews garbage and one can safely assume everything he says is a lie. This would be no different.

He was ripping on German car companies because he hates allies like Merkel and Macron, and loves enemies like Russia and Syria. Merkel basically told him off, so this is his [[completely absurd, juvenile and fact-averse) reponse.

I'm amazed that anyone takes this truly stupid complaint seriously. But then I'm consistently amazed that anyone takes anything that clearly under-informed and ridiculous man says seriously.

And, for all that, he didn't criticize the one German automaker that did purposefully commit a massive violation of US law.

Merkel blows Trump out the water and
    rips him to pieces any day of the week

She studied physics, earning a doctorate in 1978,
    and worked as a chemist for 10 years - before -
    being in Helmut Kohl's cabinet as minister for
    the environment and nuclear safety.

Trump is dumber than a box of rocks, bullies and sues those that oppose him, and now thinks he is untouchable as POTUS.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I'm amazed that anyone takes this truly stupid complaint seriously. But then I'm consistently amazed that anyone takes anything that clearly under-informed and ridiculous man says seriously.

And, for all that, he didn't criticize the one German automaker that did purposefully commit a massive violation of US law.
    I suspect he didn't criticize VW for breaking the law because he respects such tactics as a business practice.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I suspect he didn't criticize VW for breaking the law because he respects such tactics as a business practice.
    I guess in theory as VW is owned by BMW it would stand to reason that criticizing the parent would also include the children.

GM,Ford,Honda have all been fined for doing the same thing.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...ice-isnt-first

All the manufacturers are making GREAT vehicles today. Reliability is strong, they're long lasting, loaded with safety features, interiors are fantastic. If you want to buy American, you'll get a terrific car.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    All the manufacturers are making GREAT vehicles today. Reliability is strong, they're long lasting, loaded with safety features, interiors are fantastic. If you want to buy American, you'll get a terrific car.
    I agree with all the above except...

"If you want to buy American, you'll get a terrific car."

I believe the correct term should be...

If you want to finance American, you'll get a terrific car.

It gets worse actually. Howz about financing a front loaded contract on a rapidly diminishing, consumable product. I don't want to call it an asset cause a car ain't.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; June-04-17 at 05:17 AM.

^^^ How'z about that!! The reason I just can't finance these days. Refuse. I'll just drive older cash purchased cars!

I did not vote for Trump, but too bad Merkel's not mastered the ability to keep her people safe from terrorism.......

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Merkel blows Trump out the water and
    rips him to pieces any day of the week

She studied physics, earning a doctorate in 1978,
    and worked as a chemist for 10 years - before -
    being in Helmut Kohl's cabinet as minister for
    the environment and nuclear safety.

Trump is dumber than a box of rocks, bullies and sues those that oppose him, and now thinks he is untouchable as POTUS.

Some people do realize the USA has 2 massive oceans protecting it,
    with Canada to the north and Mexico to the south.
    It's a god damn island - compared to Europe with terrorists for decades.

Trump will be tested with good ol white boy nutcases shooting up USA.
    http://bit.ly/WhiteKill

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast