Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default US grants $54.8 million to Mich. bus systems

I saw that earlier! I really hope they buy some Hybrid buses or biofuels.

French -

I do know that DDOT has plans to purchase about 10 hybrid buses [[I got to ride one of the demonstration Hybrid buses which were being shown to DDOT by the manufacturer). I was told by one of the engineers that they were going to receive a grant to purchase the buses, however I am not sure if it's THIS particular grant.

MIRepublic Guest

The article clearly states that the money to DDOT is going for "maintenance and renovations to facilities." Sounds like SMART is putting its money towards updating a significant part of its fleet. I'm wondering why DDOT's plans are so generic? Maybe, they didn't have a good grant writer. lol

a nickel says that the DDOT buses don't get the bike racks they're about a decade behind in adding...

MIRepublic Guest

There is no need to bet. The article says the grant money is for "maintenance and renovations to facilities."

At least they're not building a new $7.4 million headquarters on the river.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    There is no need to bet. The article says the grant money is for "maintenance and renovations to facilities."
    true. i guess what they're trying to tell DDOT riders/potential riders is "we got $54.8mm and we still won't do the things you want in order to get you to ride."

Quote Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
    true. i guess what they're trying to tell DDOT riders/potential riders is "we got $54.8mm and we still won't do the things you want in order to get you to ride."
    Zimm, did you read the whole article?

The federal government is only allowing the local transit agencies to use 10% of the grant to put towards labor.

Do you know the current state of the buildings? They very well may be in dire need of repair, and may very well be of a higher concern than a bike rack

HOWEVER, DDOT has already been awarded a grant to fully equip all DDOT buses with Bike Racks.. in fact there's been a thread about this. As of right now, they are waiting for the money to be allocated to them.