Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

He had been excepted into collage to be a dental surgeon when his brother convinced him to go on the road,he agreeed to do it for two years but at the end of the two he was so far into debt he had to keep going.

He wrote the lyrics to the song Melissa ,but only came up with that name after hearing somebody calling out for their child in the supermarket.

I never understood why he married Cher ,but always liked that he stayed down to earth kinda guy and his music was always about the vocals verses instrumental.

RIP
    Last edited by Richard; May-28-17 at 12:06 PM.

Threw back a few with him at the Palace Grill. Apparently, I have survived him. Who knew 40 years ago ? Am still pickled.

Long live the Allman Bros. And Lynrd Skynrd, My best camping songs. Bear hypnosis jams. Really. You should have seen it. Free bear.
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-30-17 at 09:13 AM.

Not sure that his passing was anything unusual or unexpected. He's probably the ONLY rock star I can think of who has, within the past 20 years has passed from "natural causes" - maybe Warren Zevon. Not too bad for a guy who really is as much an influence on any GOOD music happening today as was, say, Miles Davis or Jimmy Reed. Pretty bold remark, but remember:

The Allmans completely redirected, or rather, deflected, what could be made a commercial success in pop music [[I respectfully refer to "pop" music just as Vagner or Beethoven was "pop music": in their time).

And even to this day... there is rarely a conversation I have that, at some point, does not invoke Duane Allman, or Government Mule, or Warren Haynes, Kenny Wayne Shepard, etc.

There was a time when the Allmans were THEE #1 band in America. "Live At The Filmore East" was in every album stack. And yes, I did have to refer to Wiki to recall the year of its release [[1971 - I was only 5 years old then).

Most similar recent iconic death, I think, would be Johnny Winter. In both cases, some very fantastic musicians from the era of a golden age [[maybe from 1923 to 1974) of pop music.

As for why he married Cher, Richard? Heh. Yep, that is a weird one. At the time, it kinda seemed that Cher wanted to go solo and become a recognized rock star. But, in 1975, or whatever, Greg Allman was making news for being a rock star - the kind of news that maybe Cher wasn't able to tolerate. Obviously not able to tolerate! It was a very publicized and short marriage.

But... if any of you ever get a chance to play some of his music who has never heard it before, do it.

Like I always say these days, "At least we still have Trower".

Interview with Gregg talking about Cher. Like most people who get married, they liked each other.

https://youtu.be/LdZ8nPC9X7E