Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default MoGo, Any Thoughts on its use?

Even though the majority of the locations of where the bike stations are located in Midtown-Downtown, it would help out those in a way that would be tired of waiting forever for the bus.

This would make a great alternative to waiting on the bus forever.

This bike sharing just starting today. If you have once taken the time to use this services or have thoughts on this project, please leave your opinions and experiences on this thread.

There is a station in North End at Bennett Playground on Brush and E Bethune which I thought was a nice spot as the playground seems to be popular. Not sure what the cost is like, but for a short trip a bike easily beats DDOT.

From the Freep article "To ride, users can purchase various passes — an $8 daily pass [[these can only purchased at the station kiosk or with a smartphone), $18 monthly pass and an $80 annual pass [[there's also a limited-time $100 option, which includes extra daily passes for friends or family). Anyone who receives state benefits can get an annual pass for $5."

"Rides are limited to 30 minutes, but additional trips can be purchased [[$4 for daily pass holders, $2 for others) or assessed automatically if you run past your time. If you fail to return a bike, it will cost you the $1,200 replacement price."

Not sure why there is a 30 Minute Limit for a ride?

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    From the Freep article "To ride, users can purchase various passes — an $8 daily pass [[these can only purchased at the station kiosk or with a smartphone), $18 monthly pass and an $80 annual pass [[there's also a limited-time $100 option, which includes extra daily passes for friends or family). Anyone who receives state benefits can get an annual pass for $5."

"Rides are limited to 30 minutes, but additional trips can be purchased [[$4 for daily pass holders, $2 for others) or assessed automatically if you run past your time. If you fail to return a bike, it will cost you the $1,200 replacement price."

Not sure why there is a 30 Minute Limit for a ride?
    The 30 minute limit is pretty standard as far as bike sharing goes. Encourages people to use them for defined trips and return them quickly, instead of using it as an all-day bike rental service.

That 30 minute limit is also a real turn off to me, since I am more likely to leverage this for leisure than to catch a bus. But, its only $4 more to keep it for an hour, which doesn't seem prohibitive.

I am impressed by the numerous locations throughout greater downtown.

Default I paid the $100 for unlimited use

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    That 30 minute limit is also a real turn off to me, since I am more likely to leverage this for leisure than to catch a bus. But, its only $4 more to keep it for an hour, which doesn't seem prohibitive.

I am impressed by the numerous locations throughout greater downtown.

I will probably use this every weekend. I live in Corktown [[obvs) but am just a bit too far from Campus Martius to make it really convenient. It's the difference between a 20 min. walk or a 4-5 min. bike ride.

$8/mo. is a steal.

7. Default

Interesting. FYI here is the MoGo website how to: https://mogodetroit.org/how-it-works/
    Name:  mogo-stations.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  65.1 KB

That Freep quote pretty much mangles how the system actually works [[their writers often seem to get confused over such details). A pass actually buys you an unlimited number of 30 minute rides during the period covered by the pass.

If you're taking a longer ride, the system is designed to act like a relay system. So you turn in your bike at a rack before your 30 minutes are up and pick up another bike for another 30 minutes. In part, this is supposed to help to avoid empty racks and, as much as possible, distribute the bikes more evenly and not have all them bunch up in a few spots [[they will be redistributed by trucks after hours too). The $4 or $2 charges only kick in if you keep an individual bike for over 30 mins., and cover an additional 30 min. period.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; May-25-17 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That Freep quote pretty much mangles how the system actually works [[their writers often seem to get confused over such details). A pass actually buys you an unlimited number of 30 minute rides during the period covered by the pass.

If you're taking a longer ride, the system is designed to act like a relay system. So you turn in your bike at a rack before your 30 minutes are up and pick up another bike for another 30 minutes. In part, this is supposed to help to avoid empty racks and, as much as possible, distribute the bikes more evenly and not have all them bunch up in a few spots [[they will be redistributed by trucks after hours too). The $4 or $2 charges only kick in if you keep an individual bike for over 30 mins., and cover an additional 30 min. period.
    THANK YOU for that clarification. That makes so much more sense.

I use the Zagster bike rentals. I work for a company that pays for Zagster, so I get to ride the bikes as much and as long as I want to, for free.

Every day at lunch [[weather permitting) I've been going on 10 mile bike rides along the river and Dequindre cut. It's been an awesome perk.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I will probably use this every weekend. I live in Corktown [[obvs) but am just a bit too far from Campus Martius to make it really convenient. It's the difference between a 20 min. walk or a 4-5 min. bike ride.

$8/mo. is a steal.
    There's a station at Michigan & Wabash that may be helpful for you.

Yes, thanks for that clarification.

Still, it seems odd -- I turn in a bike only to take another. That's like how you have to get off at the end of the Q Line, just to get back on and go the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    THANK YOU for that clarification. That makes so much more sense.
    The link to the MoGo website posted by Lowell above explains the system much more clearly.

https://mogodetroit.org/how-it-works/

I tried it this afternoon and peddled around the New Center & WSU areas at lunch. Of course, it's not going to be like your own bike, but it was okay. The only drawback for me is that I'm short & even though I had the seat at its lowest position, it was still a smidge too high for me. It was uncomfortable but not bad enough to prevent me from using it. I had to drive to New Center to the station as I work in Hamtramck, but it was a good workout for a lunch break. If anyone is going to use one even on a semi-regular basis, getting a monthly pass is more economical vs a daily one.

Technically you can take the same bike, you just rack it up for a moment and re-rent it. Like what was said, this is an industry standard and encourages shorter trips on the bike share.

Default I have the Access Pass.

It's pretty convenient to have this pass, it made it easier to get to school from the transit center. However, if I wanted to go anywhere else, I'd be limited to the Downtown-New Center-Midtown area.

The use of bike sharing would encourage more people to ride their bikes around the city. More people are riding their bikes because of the high expense of car ownership, rental and insurance.

The city has the highest cost of insurance almost in the nation. The cost is so high, that people in the city have lied about where they live to save on car insurance.

MoGo would be very useful within the city limits. There are plenty of CVS, Family Dollars, and other places to pay in cash to maintain their subscriptions. There's enough people on state assistance and don't have a car to use this service.

This would be good to use until people get their own bikes or cars.

There is more to Detroit than Downtown-Midtown-New Center. And MoGo could make more money by expanding to the neighborhoods.

It seems MoGo is already expanding... new station next to whole foods coming?

https://twitter.com/MoGoDetroit/stat...44673836969984

"Also, there will be a station at John R and Mack by next weekend!"

7 of the remaining stations will all open by next weekend, including John R/Mack, John R/canfield, Riverwalk by Ren Cen, West Village, Cobo Center

Today I went to use a Zagster bike and three of the downtown stations known to me are gone. Zagster was provided as a free perk to some downtown employees.

Perhaps Zagster is being phased out in favor of MoGo? I'll be bummed if my employer no longer provides a free bike option.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Today I went to use a Zagster bike and three of the downtown stations known to me are gone. Zagster was provided as a free perk to some downtown employees.

Perhaps Zagster is being phased out in favor of MoGo? I'll be bummed if my employer no longer provides a free bike option.
    Zagster may be phased out in favor of MoGo.

It seemed difficult to the use for the public, you had to have the app and a ready credit card available. MoGo had many means of payment to use the bikes.

I'm pretty sure that your employer won't forget about you and make an agreement with MoGo.

If not, you can check the site and find a yearly pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    I'm pretty sure that your employer won't forget about you and make an agreement with MoGo.

If not, you can check the site and find a yearly pass.
    I sent an inquiry to Zagster and my employer. I'll consider the annual pass as long as the service seems OK. My bike rides are usually about 60 to 90 minutes, which makes MoGo less attractive due to the 30 minute limitation, but there are a ton of stations, so it may not make a difference.

I own several bikes but I still find this service useful both in concept and in practice.

If I'm going for a bike ride, I'll just take my own bike. Perhaps same if I'm running errands.

But if I'm meeting up with friends where we will start one place, go to another, and go to another after that...having your own bike means either having to returning back to the place where you parked it or having to move it as your group moves, finding a place to park each time, etc.

Using MoGo means I can take it to my first destination, leave it there, move freely, and then either take a different bike home or order up a Lyft or hitch a ride with a friend.

Or if I'm coming from Corktown and going all the way to Harbortown, I can bike over there knowing that if I end up staying out late really late I have the option to take care back home without worrying about coming back the next day to get the bike.

In other words, the advantage to the service is about not having to be tethered to your own bike while you're going about your day. And for $8-9/mo., it's a no brainer.

I used it again today to peddle from the east to west side of downtown for a meeting. The 2 bikes I used today were seemingly more comfortable than the first time I tried it.

Interestingly, I docked the bike at the Fort/Griswold station. When I got ready to leave, there was about half a dozen Freep staff there attempting to use it. They must not have read the website or their own article to know how it works.