Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I recall hearing about that! Perhaps someone simply could not count? ----

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ...No caps currently.

Kinda like the city bus accident where 6 riders on the bus but 12 laying on the ground in pain when ems arrived. Lawyers must love Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I recall hearing about that! Perhaps someone simply could not count? ----
    That would be either the lawyer or the reporter...

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    This is the important point. When I lived in East Lansing my auto insurance was about $1,000/year, when I lived in NYC my auto insurance was $1,100/year, in Detroit my insurance is well over $3,000/year. Same car, same good driving record, same lack of claims made.

So I can see why one would be tempted not to pay that crazy extra amount, particularly if one had an easy alternative that didn't take much effort. Probably without giving a lot of thought to any potential long-range consequences. I sure would have done it when I was younger. Hell, even now as a mature, responsible citizen, who hasn't had an accident or a ticket [[or made a claim) since 1989, and doesn't plan on having any, I'd be lying if I said the thought doesn't cross my mind every time I receive my completely outrageous auto insurance bill. If only just to screw the insurance company out of the insane profit-margin they are getting through gouging people like me.
    Post of the day. Trust me, I've thought about it as well, but with my luck, as soon as I cancel my insurance, something bad would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    The incident caught on dashcam showed a road chunk on the left shoulder
    being kicked up by the SUV in front.
    It can happen that chunks are dropped by citizens as well but that
    doesn't seem to be the case this time - the spring thaw cycle debris
    is more at fault this time.
    Sorry to stray away from the OP but it's BS, that MDOT has inpunity from those claims. They should be responsible for the roads conditions, regardless of winter's freeze and thaw cycle, and obviously the quality of the concrete being used comes into question. So if someone gets killed from a chunk of concrete, kicked up by those big tractor trailers or even a regular vehicle, they can't be sued, correct? I-696 if I remember correctly was re-paved less than 20 years ago, and on my recent trek going westbound, it needs resurfacing again. All I saw was black patch applied to all the potholes.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-23-17 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    ... MDOT has inpunity from those claims.... they can't be sued, correct?...
    From the link I posted above:
    Local 4 News knows the Michigan Department of Transportation is responsible for keeping the road safe, but the state and municipalities have governmental immunity.

Legal expert Neil Rockind said if motorists are reporting the problem to MDOT, then legal action is on the table.

"They are aware of it. They've been informed of it. They've been apprised of the problem. It's been presented to them that's it's causing harm, and yet the problem isn't getting fixed," Rockind said.
    So apparently there are some limits to that immunity, which seems reasonable.

I hear a lot of valid complaints about texting distraction but not much mention of people being distracted by potholes. I find myself cautiously weaving to avoid them and so fully expect to be pulled over some day for DUI while being completely sober.

Google "pothole vigilante" for some creative solutions:

This man is painting penises on potholes so the council has to take action.

Gives a whole new meaning to green space.

[QUOTE=detroitsgwenivere;525660
    I'm wondering if many of the people the city is talking about going after have just neglected to go downtown to the city county to file their taxes in a few years, but the money was withheld none the less. If that's the case, count me on that list too.
    [/QUOTE]
    Good point. My employer faithfully deducts my city taxes. Over the last half dozen years the average value of my city tax bill was a refund of <$10. A couple of the checks expired before I bothered to take them to the bank. As such, many a year I never bothered to file mine so as not to waste the stamp.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3