Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Faded Glory: Polishing Flint’s Jewels

That was great. I would love to get ahold of that crumbling brick one with the rounded porch and work on it. The inside of the restored saloon makes it look as though there are interesting resources being developed in the neighborhood. It would be great to hear move about this area.

I know that some buildings along Saginaw Street were getting makeovers as well. Does anyone know of a "FlintYes"-esque website to follow development/renovation/restoration projects here?

cheddar bob Guest

I was downtown Wednesday showing someone the water features on the north bank of Riverbank Park. I was expecting to show them the waterfalls and splash pools that haven't worked in 10-20 years. Imagine my surprise when I saw water flowing and the pumps turned on. I started talking to a guy working on it and it turns out he's just a regular citizen that got a grant. He's been working on it for years now, trying to get things working again, painting, and fixing the lighting. I sent an email which led to this story...

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?se...cal&id=6973100

I've always wondered what it would take to get the water park going again, this guy actually is doing something. Next week I'm going to start volunteering to help him out.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    I was downtown Wednesday showing someone the water features on the north bank of Riverbank Park. I was expecting to show them the waterfalls and splash pools that haven't worked in 10-20 years. Imagine my surprise when I saw water flowing and the pumps turned on. I started talking to a guy working on it and it turns out he's just a regular citizen that got a grant. He's been working on it for years now, trying to get things working again, painting, and fixing the lighting. I sent an email which led to this story...

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?se...cal&id=6973100

I've always wondered what it would take to get the water park going again, this guy actually is doing something. Next week I'm going to start volunteering to help him out.
    One hell of a nice thing for the guy to do. Looks as if that's a great fountain.

As for the "detroityes.com" type website, the closest thing we have is at http://www.urbanflint.com/forum/. There have been updates on the restoration of the Durant Hotel, and various other projects. There isn't a bunch of activity on the website, but the content is excellent.
    Last edited by Mama Jackson; August-20-09 at 12:39 PM. Reason: wrong link

Flint is dormant. GM left the city, closed over 5 plants, lay-off thousands of workers and the people over there are still waiting for hope.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

I'm glad that Micheal Moore made that documentary "Roger and Me" exposing the dark side of GM division.

Wow, some good news for once! F-in eh! Go Flint!

Go Detroit! Go Flint! Saginaw, it's your turn!

I found this article very interesting, and I think it highlights things that are a standard with in Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw. Similar things are happening in all three places. We all know what is going on here in Detroit, we can now see [[through this brief peak) what is going on in Flint in Carriage Town. As a native of the Saginaw valley with my friends still there, I can attest to similar things happening in Saginaw's Cathedral District and Old Town Neighborhoods. Saginaw I would say is furthest behind, and the most hampered by the conditions of its downtown, nearly all demolished, none the less their are still people trying to get things done, and are often overlooked by the general populace that lives around these places.

I live 10 minutes from Flint [[N. Holly) and love to read stories with that kind of inspiration.
    Flint is dormant. GM left the city, closed over 5 plants, lay-off thousands of workers and the people over there are still waiting for hope.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

"I'm glad that Micheal Moore made that documentary "Roger and Me" exposing the dark side of GM division."

Whether you like or dislike Michael Moore or your opinion on his movies, he has not done anything for the people of Flint. My opinion if he really cared he would take cues from Jeff Daniels or Kid Rock and give back to his original community and that does not mean he has to give money! He could use his star power and organize charitable events or what not.

Whether you like or dislike Michael Moore or your opinion on his movies, he has not done anything for the people of Flint. My opinion if he really cared he would take cues from Jeff Daniels or Kid Rock and give back to his original community and that does not mean he has to give money! He could use his star power and organize charitable events or what not.[/quote]

You mean like this?
    http://www.traversecityfilmfest.org/statetheatre/

Well as a resident of Flint I am glad our jewels are being polished, I really hate dingy jewels.

Mamajackson beat me too recomending the Urban Flint site, it is no where near as active as detroityes but we are just as passionate over there. The crumbling brick home with the rounded porch that gazhekwe was talking about is absolutely gourgeous.

It sits across Lyon St. from the restored gem

Next is a picture of the Nash house on Mason St.

The Birthplace of GM

The old Durant Dort Carriage Factory on Water St.

View of Downtown from Carriage Town

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I considered buying this house before I settled on the one I did buy. It would have been a much larger risk buying in Carriage Town, so I decided on the more stable College Cultural neighborhood.

You live in College Cultural Neighborhood now Cheddar bob? I bought my house on E. Court St. between Franklin and Vernon about 2 1/2 years ago. Where about did you buy yours if you don't mind me asking?

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    You live in College Cultural Neighborhood now Cheddar bob? I bought my house on E. Court St. between Franklin and Vernon about 2 1/2 years ago. Where about did you buy yours if you don't mind me asking?
    About three blocks directly north of you. Glendale between Franklin and Vernon.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    About three blocks directly north of you. Glendale between Franklin and Vernon.
    lol, small world.

Well, belated welcome to the neighborhood. Although you weren't to far away before.

cheddar bob Guest

I only moved about a mile. The bad thing is that now I'm a mile from downtown. That's too far for my lazy ass to walk.