Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Now this looks like fun - Slow Roll Detroit Video

Now this looks like fun - Slow Roll Detroit Video

I mean, I'm not saying your late to the party, but...

But thanks for reminder because I need to bring my bike up out of the basement when I get home this evening!

The Tour de Troit group organized a 20 mile ride on the east side of Detroit for this Saturday starting at Maheras Park at 9.

On May 1st I went out for a bike ride on my lunch. I was on the Dequindre cut when a group of 50-75 people pulled out ahead of me going the opposite way. I thought they were probably slow roll, but they were not. An attractive lady toward the end of the pack said to me "Join us!". I did what any married man with kids would do, I turned my bike around and joined them. I had a chance to ask who they were. Turns out it was two different living "collectives". These are groups of people that live together that seemed to have a focus on art. I'm probably explaining it horribly, but it was a neat concept.

Next to playing the guitars, [[exercise for the mind and soul), riding bikes, [[ exercise for the body and soul), rates up there as a pleasant diversion for me. My bikes start out with Jamis frames and then set up for comfort. Being where I am they are also geared for hill climbing.

I will most likely make the next slow roll. Videos like this one makes me long for the Detroit I once knew and bicycled about town as a kid back in the day. Sigh...

On a side note, I did get bike jacked twice, fought em off but kept on truckin...

Now I deal with dogs and people in cars with their diversions and attitudes.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; May-09-17 at 01:42 PM.

I visited Detroit for five days in July 2014 and did the slow roll, it was my favorite thing I did the whole visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Now this looks like fun - Slow Roll Detroit Video
    Absolutely. It is a lot of fun for everyone, even the spectators!

^^^ That's about my cycling speed at this point!

Anyone have the inside on what happened to Slow Roll? They seem to be 100% gone despite having what appeared to be a solid organization before Covid.

I went to just about every ride they hosted and really have missed it the last couple years.

They slowly rolled away.

Wow I miss Slow Roll ��

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Anyone have the inside on what happened to Slow Roll? They seem to be 100% gone despite having what appeared to be a solid organization before Covid.

I went to just about every ride they hosted and really have missed it the last couple years.

COVID happened

I did solo or a few friends rolls using those white and red rental bikes about WSU the whole time of COVID. Saw a smaller cadre of peddlers and few times.

Hopefully the official Slow Roll in full will be back soon...
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-02-22 at 09:46 AM.