Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Median on lower Woodward

Does anyone have any information on what is happening on the median[[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulevard)
    on lower Woodward in front of the Chase building.
    I think it has something to do with the M1 train , but I haven't seen or heard anything about it.
    I've notice ,outside my window at work, that work has started.
    Thanks

Does it look like the one they installed in front of the Fox?

I saw that yesterday. Looks like they are turning it into an esplanade with perhaps some artwork or something visually interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I saw that yesterday. Looks like they are turning it into an esplanade with perhaps some artwork or something visually interesting.
    Yes
    I noticed that also.I believe it's something to connect the M1 stop with campus martius.
    So that people won't have to cross Woodward, just to cross Woodward again ?
    Has anyone seen plans for it , or have any idea what it will look like?

That wall thing in the middle is scary. A little too much to the left and youll be rubbing your car down the cement.

The boulevard is being set up as an esplanade to connect the streetcar stop and Campus Martius. It'll be a nice landscaped area with a wide, winding sidewalk down the middle.

The city will be making Woodward between Jefferson and Larned a pedestrian plaza in the next few weeks.

Joyful! A bottle neck indeed. Not car friendly at all......

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    That wall thing in the middle is scary. A little too much to the left and youll be rubbing your car down the cement.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Does anyone have any information on what is happening on the median[[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulevard)
    on lower Woodward in front of the Chase building.
    I think it has something to do with the M1 train , but I haven't seen or heard anything about it.
    I've notice ,outside my window at work, that work has started.
    Thanks
    this project is from Dan G's Placemaking effort announced in 2013. the project you reference is part of "Woodward Avenue Esplanade"

To the south of Campus Martius, theexisting median should be widenedby eliminating turning lanes fortraffic — creating a green “esplanade”leading to Hart Plaza and the Riverfronton the Detroit River. The esplanade,similar to the Ramblas in Barcelonaand the Helsinki Esplanade, will be apark-like space linking the two greatplazas of Detroit. This strong connectionwill allow events taking place in HartPlaza to march right up the median toCampus Martius and vice versa. Theesplanade will provide access to theM-1 stop in the median, along withfood and retail kiosks along the way.Where the esplanade meets the crossstreets, the streets will become “shared”spaces so that pedestrians are safe tocross and cars must give them priority.If possible, the esplanade could alsoinclude bike paths to link the Riverfrontto Campus Martius and the heart of thedowntown
    http://opportunitydetroit.com/wp-con...Book-PDFSm.pdf

Chatted with one of the workers putting up the "gates" yesterday and he said that they will look pretty much as is except they will be equipped with LED lights that will rotate colors. The area will be landscaped and will include benches and possibly a swing.

I am wondering if they will continue the concept south towards the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Joyful! A bottle neck indeed. Not car friendly at all......
    Kinda the point. Not to go to zero cars, but we've got to stop making "the car" our #1 priority at least in the city center when re-urbanizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Kinda the point. Not to go to zero cars, but we've got to stop making "the car" our #1 priority at least in the city center when re-urbanizing it.
    Oh the horrors of forcing cars to slow down in the heart of downtown!

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Oh the horrors of forcing cars to slow down in the heart of downtown!
    Right?! Oh sorry you can't go 55 down Woodward like you could 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    this project is from Dan G's Placemaking effort announced in 2013. the project you reference is part of "Woodward Avenue Esplanade"

Was just in Helsinki a few months ago and got to experience, in the winter no less, just how pedestrian friendly and amazing the Helsinki Esplanade is. It is actually pretty large too, with a several restaurants, statues, fountains and of course butted right up to the harbor which was filled with plenty of holiday markets.

Name:  30653462764_c7bd9c29dd_o.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  30685043303_a31d3d9db1_o.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  31493844215_67e52b6559_o.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  136.8 KB

I sure hope this works better than previous efforts to remake our downtown streets into pedestrian plazas [[monkey bars anyone?).

Thank you for that. If they can pull anything close to that off , that would be fantastic. !

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I am in 100% complete agreement.

Looking out of my office window I can see the "vision".
    I think it will be a nice, smaller version of an Esplanade.
    My question is will Americans figure out what it is for and how to use it?
    Or will it be "programmed" for what is was intended for ?
    Either way its a better use than what used to be there.

New Woodward Avenue esplanade to open Friday

Quicken Loans Inc. invested $400,000 to transform the avenue's medians between Larned Street and Campus Martius Park into a gathering place that will include public art installations, pedestrian walkways, food trucks, seating, live entertainment and other attractions, the Detroit-based company announced Thursday.
    The esplanade is part of Quicken Loans owner Dan Gilbert's 2013 "A Placemaking Vision For Downtown Detroit." It will help connect the downtown core to the riverfront.
    The park will be illuminated with 12-foot tall walkway arches that serve as a display platform for artists, the release said. It will also feature swings, seating, interactive cubes and paintings.

Thank you for that. They did a pretty good job.

Whats the deal with the Metropole building having a larger building superimposed over it in that picture? They have put too much work into it to make me believe they would replace it.

It also doesn't show the Q-Line on the southbound side of Woodward. I wouldn't put too much stock into the rendering for anything other than the esplanade.

It looks great by the way. Many people were using it to get to the station as well as utilizing the table and chairs they placed there.

Seen the landscaped section of the median Friday night and it looks very nice. The led "arches" were very cool!