Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 10 Year Vision for Highland Park

No doubt Highland Park has seen better days... this plan would be interesting if it comes to fruition. thoughts?

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/5/2/...strategic-plan

I wish them well, and hope for their success, but when I saw the headline, my first thought was that they planned involved disbanding the city and/or returning it to township status.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitpride313 View Post
    No doubt Highland Park has seen better days... this plan would be interesting if it comes to fruition. thoughts?

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/5/2/...strategic-plan
    It has a chance. As midtown becomes more desirable and expensive, and with the new DDOT mid-city loop route to connect people to Woodward from the nearby neighborhoods, it is natural to expect that development will expand to the north, where there is still inexpensive property to be had and rehabbed.

There needs to be something done about the storefronts "downtown" that are just north of the Davison. To be blunt, they look like shit. I don't know what it is about HP, but it's even more depressing to go through it than a typical run down Detroit neighborhood.

I hope a plan can bring them better days...

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    There needs to be something done about the storefronts "downtown" that are just north of the Davison. To be blunt, they look like shit. I don't know what it is about HP, but it's even more depressing to go through it than a typical run down Detroit neighborhood.

I hope a plan can bring them better days...
    So true.Back in the early 80's I was living in Hamtramck and I decided to take a walk through HP to Woodward.That was the day I decided I wanted to move far away. It looked like post WW][ Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    So true.Back in the early 80's I was living in Hamtramck and I decided to take a walk through HP to Woodward.That was the day I decided I wanted to move far away. It looked like post WW][ Europe.
    For all that though there are parts of Highland Park that still have some very nice housing stock. Particularly on the state-named streets in the southeast part of the town [[where I believe Lowell lived for some years) and up in the northwest part, where there are even some craftsman bungalows, a style that's pretty rare in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    For all that though there are parts of Highland Park that still have some very nice housing stock. Particularly on the state-named streets in the southeast part of the town [[where I believe Lowell lived for some years) and up in the northwest part, where there are even some craftsman bungalows, a style that's pretty rare in this area.
    I believe a good many of the craftsman-style bungalows were built as Sears kit houses.

I saw this yesterday and it seems reasonable enough. The city is acquiring ownership of the larger buildings and is going to start incentivizing activity.

But does HP have any money? I remember there was discussion of HP's debts and service cuts during the Detroit bankruptcy and never heard of any real resolution. Unless, of course, they have balanced the budget by being a speed trap.

There are two State of Michigan Historic Districts in Highland Park: Highland Heights-Stevens and Medbury-Grove Lawn. The stock of housing in these districts includes many desirable homes, especially if higher speed public transit is extended along Woodward.

Yeah but then there's this: http://www.secondwavemedia.com/metro...or-050417.aspx

A guy contacts Highland Park asking about the library and it takes a month of calling every day before the director of community and economic development responds. Later on the same person no-shows during an arranged walkthrough regarding mold abatement.

Highland Park's biggest advantage [[aside from its location which is both a blessing and a curse) is that it's a small city, so hypothetically the government could be quicker on its feet. And any improvements would have a bigger impact on the city overall. But apparently the city isn't even capable of responding to phone calls or keeping appointments.

I think pop up things and most of that other stuff are superficial gimmicks. But if it means those parts won't look like a zombie apocalypse then that's a genuine improvement.
    Last edited by Jason; May-07-17 at 07:35 PM.