"What about the neighborhoods?" is the most common counter question poised when news of the booming 7.2 square mile 'green zone' of Downtown to New Center is touted when citing the rise of Detroit.

In bits and pieces there is neighborhood progress. So I thought I would start a thread that highlights that.

As with this opening story, these are not Dan Gilbert giant steps but in their totality I believe they are balancing the gain vs loss ratio, the point when the going down is being balanced by the coming up -- and hopefully going beyond to surpass it.

Making over Detroit, street by street
Louis Aguilar , The Detroit News May 1, 2017

Name:  CenturyInvestments.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  57.7 KB
Three years ago, Atkinson Street became a test case for a pair of successful millennials who wanted to see how much change they could create on one Detroit street by purchasing blighted homes and renovating them.

Their plan to focus on one street appears to be working and now city officials believe the pair’s work on Atkinson Street is a model that can be used to revive many Detroit neighborhoods....

So far, the team has fixed up 19 residential units in 10 properties. All but one of those properties were empty before the overhauls. In the sole occupied property, the resident was paying rent to someone who no longer owned the home, Alade said.

All of their properties are now occupied, with rents ranging from $500 to $1,500 a month.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...eet/101140024/