Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Windmill Park

Default Windmill Park

Took a drive around Grosse Pointe and came across Windmill Park. Was wondering whether this was open to anyone? Looked like a great place to take the nephews.

It's Windmill Pointe Park. Grosse Pointe parks are only open to residents with a valid park pass and their guests.

That is a major bummer... I fell in love with the park driving by it, and was hoping to get a closer look...

I'm interested in moving to the area, can I ask whether it depends if you're in Grosse Point Shore, etc. does it apply to the neighboring villages?

That is a major bummer... I fell in love with the park driving by it, and was hoping to get a closer look...

I'm interested in moving to the area, can I ask whether it depends if you're in Grosse Point Shore, etc. does it apply to the neighboring villages?
    Yes it matters. Each GP has it's own park [[GPP actually has two) that are for the residents and guests of residents of each city. There is no reciprocity.

Personally I think GPP'S Parks are pretty much the best. Windmill Pointe Park recently had a major upgrade and now has movie theater, full sized indoor basketball court, full gym and banquet facilities along with the standard pools, tennis courts, and marina. GPP also has Three Mile Park that is more of an open green space with cross training tracks, ice rink, putting and chipping greens and racks for canoes and kayaks.

Lorax Guest

Hi, saw this thread- was raised in Grosse Pointe Park, and enjoyed Windmill Pointe Park enormously. My dad kept a berth for his boat there for many years.

I just found this link to a lovely old home only a couple of blocks from there which is one of the more affordable ones in the area. If you're looking for one, that is.

http://www.realestateone.com/vp/List...0&cd_MLS=54388

Quote Originally Posted by vanta View Post
    How could you fall in love with it if you couldn't go in? There's nothing remarkable about that park from doing a drive-by.

I got out of the car and walked up to the park... I didn't see the movie theatre, but the overall view, the pool, the fountain, I just loved the idea of a park of that calibre available for the neighborhood... I fell in love with it all, the homes, the architecture, it was my first time in that area. I was leaning towards Birmingham, but not as much since visiting GP. Book-Cadilac is still in the running, especially with the reduced pricing.

Thanks for the link Lorax, it doesn't look like a foreclosure, doesn't that seem pretty low?

I visited the Park for my friends Grad Party. Very nice park.

I got out of the car and walked up to the park... I didn't see the movie theatre, but the overall view, the pool, the fountain, I just loved the idea of a park of that calibre available for the neighborhood... I fell in love with it all, the homes, the architecture, it was my first time in that area. I was leaning towards Birmingham, but not as much since visiting GP. Book-Cadilac is still in the running, especially with the reduced pricing.

Thanks for the link Lorax, it doesn't look like a foreclosure, doesn't that seem pretty low?

Actually, that is about the going rate on Barrington right now. Shop around- you can get a beautiful old mansion in a really nice area for less than you would think- not many people realize how low the prices in the Grosse Pointes are.

Lorax Guest

You're welcome. It is low, but not the lowest, I'm sure, just close to the park.

There was one on Pemberton, an art deco house that looks like a ship, now painted a dull taupe- it used to be white 30 years ago.

It was a foreclosure, that I'm sure has sold now [[it was available for quite a while at 119,000) and it's fallen off the MLS listings.

It had Vitrolite glass walled bathrooms and kitchen, and porthole windows. Really super. I would have bought it, but I wasn't aware of it until I bought my house in Southfield.

2blocksaway Guest

The Pointes have some of the best real estate deals around right now.

As a Park resident I can tell you that you won;t regret moving here.

You will get a beautiful architecturally detailed house, probably with leaded glass, plaster walls, and all that good sh*t everyone here talks about having in their Detroit houses.

We also have great parks [[the reason for this thread), safe streets, and one of the best school systems in the state if not the country.

You will pay higher taxes for all of this but I don't think they are unreasonable.

Just be careful because that foreclosure you are going to fall in love with for sale at $180,000 is probably has a taxable value around 200,000 [[half the assessed value). You will be in for a fight come February and March when you can appeal.

In the grand scheme, GP taxes are quite low. Comparable communities on the coasts are two to five times the tax load, I've found, for residential property.

Windmill Point Park is great. Thankfully, Detroit has a pleasant park right next door enjoying the same basic view. It doesn't have a movie theatre or pool, but I don't think that's what parkland is all about, anyway.

crawford Guest

The Pointes are cheap right now; much cheaper than Birmingham [[to say nothing of Bloomfield). I am surprised people would even compare the two, at least in 2009.

If you like Birmingham and the Pointes equally, there is no question you should go for the Pointes.

I think there is good reason Birmingham is more much expensive, but your decision is obviously motivated by your own preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    The Pointes are cheap right now; much cheaper than Birmingham [[to say nothing of Bloomfield). I am surprised people would even compare the two, at least in 2009.

If you like Birmingham and the Pointes equally, there is no question you should go for the Pointes.

I think there is good reason Birmingham is more much expensive, but your decision is obviously motivated by your own preferences.
    An affinity for water and waterfronts is one plus for the Grosse Pointe communities. Nothing quite like Lakeshore Drive in Birmingham/Bloomfield.

2blocksaway Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post

Windmill Point Park is great. Thankfully, Detroit has a pleasant park right next door enjoying the same basic view. It doesn't have a movie theatre or pool, but I don't think that's what parkland is all about, anyway.
    The view is about the only thing that is the same. That is if you can even see the water through the 6 foot tall grass at Lakefront Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Hi, saw this thread- was raised in Grosse Pointe Park, and enjoyed Windmill Pointe Park enormously. My dad kept a berth for his boat there for many years.

I just found this link to a lovely old home only a couple of blocks from there which is one of the more affordable ones in the area. If you're looking for one, that is.

http://www.realestateone.com/vp/List...0&cd_MLS=54388
    That house is gorgeous. Wow! I can't believe it is going for that price.

Welcome Vanta, you mentioned that the Book-Cadillac was still "in the running". I'm curious what you think about the Book, whether you looked at the Fork Shelby and the difference between the two.

From your inclusion of the BC, I surmise you don't have any little ones running around, hence the consideration of GPP seems like a real existential shift. In BC you have a fledgling urbanist lifestyle, and in downtown Birmingham they have the real thing in, but GPP is a move to lawns and bbqs, polo ponies and croquet.

Not to pry, but why the 180 shift?

Gnome,

I guess the major reason I'm considering the BC is the recent price drops, the NEZ and the proximity to my office. I live in Franklin Village and simply detest the commute in the winter. Birmingam would be more of the same, so GP is such an amazing option. It's still a drive, but more manageable.

I haven't had a chance to see the Fort Shelby, but think if I was to pick a condo/loft in the city, it would be the BC. I like the luxury factor, having the restaurants [[ROOM SERVICE!) and parking/valet, etc. and I've heard that there's a possibility for the hotel to rent out rooms if the owners are not living full time in them. If I ever leave the state, which I may have to in the next couple of years, I love that option.

I've already got my agent looking at some homes.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...homes-in-reach

Either way, you'll be free from the misery of low water pressure and hauling 600 pounds of salt down to the basement. Franklin is lovely, the taxes are lowish and the services are good, but the water situation is a toughie.

If you decide on the BC, maybe a cute little Vespa could be if your future.

Hmm, a VantaVespa sounds kinda cool.

I have to tell you, that water pressure is a biggie for me after living in Franklin Village for a couple of years... when I took a look at the BC the first thing I thought about was the water pressure. I'd give up my short walk to the Cider Mill for decent water pressure in the shower any day!