Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default How do I apply to designate a public alley into a private alley?

I have an alley adjacent to my property, beside my garage. The alley is in bad shape but my request for the city to repair and/or resurface the alley was rejected since they will only repair it if there is a sink hole[[s).

1) Is there anything else I can do to get the city to fix city owned property such as the alley?

2) Failing 1), I've read here and there alley's can be privatized. If I acquire the alley as my own, I can make repairs on my own. However, I cannot find anything on the City of Detroit on how to do this.

You will have to file a petition to vacate the alley. If you want the valley completely vacated you will need the concurrence of all public utilities, as most alleys include an easement for public utilities. You will also need the consent of all other property owners abutting the alley. Good luck - it's a long, drawn out process.

Sounds like it might be easier to create a sink hole[[s).

But I wouldn't suggest such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Sounds like it might be easier to create a sink hole[[s).

But I wouldn't suggest such a thing.
    Tee-hee...

Here's an old thread on the subject: DetroitYES Forums » Discuss Detroit » Closing an alley?