Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Downtown Building Observations

I was out & about during my lunch break and saw a couple of things this afternoon. Fort is closed east of Randolph along the Wayne County building with fencing all around it & scaffolding up on a couple of places on the side of the building. This could be either clean up work or some restoration work. I don't know.

I also saw Busybee Hardware in the Eastern Market area had a store closing/for sale sign being put up there today. Another one bites the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I also saw Busybee Hardware in the Eastern Market area had a store closing/for sale sign being put up there today. Another one bites the dust.
    That is sad news. I guess no one fixes much of anything these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That is sad news. I guess no one fixes much of anything these days.
    That's an interesting conclusion considering the rise of DIY big box stores all over the country in the last 20 years.

Anecdotally, I've lived near Busybee for just over a year now. I've attempted to go there for hardware needs on three separate occasions, none of which were after 7pm, once was on my lunch break. Never open. I stopped trying. Just started going to Lowe's in Dearborn instead. I think this closing was inevitable.

Sad to see Busy Bee go. The place was there for a very long time and once had 3 floors of merchandise, including a lot of stuff that was hard to find elsewhere. It was the place my grandfather went to get hard-to-find or discontinued items for older houses. If they didn't have it, they knew where to get it. My dad kept going there in the last few years even as he aged into his 90s.

But for the last several years the current generation running the place has been aging out, apparently with no replacements. The store contracted to one floor, the stock began to dwindle, the opening hours became erratic, and overall it was run as a low energy business. So it isn't surprising to see them go, but it is sad for it to happen at a time when that whole market area is otherwise finally booming.

If you're looking for another local hardware store, a plug here for another old-time family business run by very friendly and helpful people: Detroit Hardware on Woodward between Baltimore and Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Sad to see Busy Bee go. The place was there for a very long time and once had 3 floors of merchandise, including a lot of stuff that was hard to find elsewhere. It was the place my grandfather went to get hard-to-find or discontinued items for older houses. If they didn't have it, they knew where to get it. My dad kept going there in the last few years even as he aged into his 90s.

But for the last several years the current generation running the place has been aging out, apparently with no replacements. The store contracted to one floor, the stock began to dwindle, the opening hours became erratic, and overall it was run as a low energy business. So it isn't surprising to see them go, but it is sad for it to happen at a time when that whole market area is otherwise finally booming.

If you're looking for another local hardware store, a plug here for another old-time family business run by very friendly and helpful people: Detroit Hardware on Woodward between Baltimore and Milwaukee.
    I used to spend hours plundering through stores like that,there was one in Orlando that had a lumber yard next door that had the knives to recreate any vintage trim or molding ever made,same thing happened,land became to valuable owners put their kids through collage and they became doctors and lawyers etc and nobody to pass the torch to.

Now it becomes ebay,Craigslist,restoration hardware etc but the quality is just not there anymore.I hate it when I visit people that have recently remolded old homes,they all look like they were a home depot display every one has the same things.

Like wal-mart the box stores kinda pushed the others out,customer loyalty is only until it becomes cheaper somewhere else etc.

In the mid west they are still finding small town old hardware stores that the doors were closed in the 50s or 60s and everything is still stocked on the shelves.Anymore it becomes nothing personal just business.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Busybee Hardware may have been the WORST run store on the planet. Poor stock, HORRIBLE hours. This store wasn't there for the community around it when it needed to be....period. The Ace Hardware 2 miles or so up on Gratiot knocks this place out of the box by a LARGE margin. Not to mention the Dearborn/GP/SCS options.

This place has been "phoning it in" for a LONG time. Let's call it what it is - these folks took over a business from their parents and/or grandparents, ran it into the ground, and miraculously found a golden parachute.

I'm glad for them. Hopefully the new business in that space is better equipped to serve the community than this travesty of a hardware store.

[QUOTE=jackie5275;524238]I was out & about during my lunch break and saw a couple of things this afternoon. Fort is closed east of Randolph along the Wayne County building with fencing all around it & scaffolding up on a couple of places on the side of the building. This could be either clean up work or some restoration work. I don't know.

The owners of the building in NYC are finally going to work on building
    Hopefully they will keep it looking nice

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...bee/100905616/

Here's the Busy Bee story from today's Detroit News.

Hammer Time on Warren is closing as well

Quote Originally Posted by ParisianLesion View Post
    That's an interesting conclusion considering the rise of DIY big box stores all over the country in the last 20 years.

Anecdotally, I've lived near Busybee for just over a year now. I've attempted to go there for hardware needs on three separate occasions, none of which were after 7pm, once was on my lunch break. Never open. I stopped trying. Just started going to Lowe's in Dearborn instead. I think this closing was inevitable.
    The big box stores are primarily making their living through contractors. Everytime I go to Home Depot or Lowes, in Dearborn, and look for something simple, like a faucet washer, I get pitched to buy a complete replacement faucet set, or remodeling the bathroom. Try Detroit Hardware, Atlas Plumbing, or Pointe Hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    ...for the last several years the current generation running the place has been aging out, apparently with no replacements. The store contracted to one floor, the stock began to dwindle, the opening hours became erratic, and overall it was run as a low energy business. So it isn't surprising to see them go, but it is sad for it to happen at a time when that whole market area is otherwise finally booming.

Agreed Eastside Al...in addition to Detroit Hardware also Brooks Lumber in Corktown AND the often missed Sonnenberg Hardware at Junction and Toledo, north of Vernor Hwy.