Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Old Detroit Telephone exchange from 1960s

I am trying to get and old phone number for Matthew Boucher who lived in Detroit just off Dickerson and Promenade. Can anyone help?

Most city directories are on-line now. Hard copies can be found at the Burton Library on the first floor of the Main Library.

Hmm...no residential phone number listed.

The 1967 Polk's directory lists him at 13001 Promenade - northeast corner of Dickerson - and the owner of Mickey's Market at 7752 E Forest. Phone number for the market was WA2-9010.

Name:  p2a.jpg
Views: 5308
Size:  70.9 KB

Promenade,vicinity of Dickerson [[misspelled Kickerson):

Name:  p5a.jpg
Views: 5258
Size:  59.3 KB

The 1961 white pages has no residential listing at all; just a listing for the market. Makes me think he didn't have a phone at that time or chose to have an unlisted number.

Name:  p4a.jpg
Views: 7364
Size:  72.4 KB
    Last edited by MikeM; April-25-17 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks for all your help. Maybe the home phone was unlisted. Thanks Again I really appreciated you finding this so quickly for me.

Do you have a listing for Love at 14063 E State Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by craigk View Post
    Isn't that the old "haunted house"?

Shown vacant in '67. Have a first name? There's about 80 entries for last name Love.

Name:  20180316_092310.jpg
Views: 4838
Size:  83.2 KB

Sorry, can't get that photo to load vertically.
    Last edited by MikeM; March-16-18 at 08:31 AM.

Name could have been Edna, Alma, or Leona

Name could have been Edna, Alma, or Leona
    Not finding anyone with that name in either the 1961 phone book or the 1967 Polk's directory. A scan of all the Loves in both doesn't show any on State Fair.

Try the last name Daniel

I remember my grandmothers party line in Detroit with another old lady's raspy breathing on line listening in. No encryption back then.

And Mickey Shorr Seat Covers Inc., had Quadraphonic seat covers back in the day? Way ahead of his time!!!
    Went with the under dash 45 players and reverb. Hot stuff back then.

"CKLW" the motor city. [[Not). Now.
    Last edited by Bigb23; March-18-18 at 05:09 AM.

Try the last name Daniel
    Are you talking about the only large, farmhouse type place that was on the north side of State Fair west of Anvil?

There was a family named Daniel living there in 1930 with 3 daughters named Alma, Leona and Esther. Name:  Daniel.jpg
Views: 4540
Size:  48.9 KB
    The father passed away in 1944; I haven't been able to find a census record or phone directory number yet

Yes, the older sister was Edna. My brother and I were in that house in the 50's and 60's. Everyone referred to the lady living there as "Old Lady Love". And a lot of people harassed her calling it a haunted house. She did tell us some stories about family being buried there. Don't see any records for those years.

1961: Christine Daniel

Name:  20180318_115500.jpg
Views: 4731
Size:  240.2 KB

Used to drive by there all the time with my parents on the way to my sister's house on Manning and Joann during the era you mention above. I think kids called it haunted because we never saw anyone outside and the house was so different than all the other houses around it. Lived about a mile and 1/2 from it so never walked around that area. It was just old looking so = haunted.

I think Christine was the mother; she would have been in her 80's in '61

No Alma, Edna, Leona, or Christine in the '67 Polk's [[I only have the east side volume). And I don't know why Polk didn't show the Anvil cross street. I find lots of mistakes in it. They listed Reno as a cross street twice, once in the correct location and once with Hoyt.

I think Christine passed away in 1948 according to records. We called the lady that lived there Mrs Love. I have a friend who kept the phone listed in her Mothers name after she died.

Yes, she did pass in 1948.
    Here's part of Edna's marriage license to Mr Love. They were living in Saline, MI in 1940 census
    Name:  edna love.jpg
Views: 4583
Size:  106.5 KB

Just so I follow correctly...

Edward & Christine Daniel lived on E State Fair in 1930

One of their daughters - Esther, who goes by Edna - married Thomas Love in 1928 in Washtenaw County, but she [[they?) is still living on State Fair in 1930.

Her parents, Edward and Christine, passed in 1944 and 1948.

Edna continues to live there into the 1960s, by her married name Love, but uses her mother's name, Christine Daniel, for the phone listing?

The house is vacant by 1967.

Atlas plats for the late 1890s, early 1900s show the land in that area owned by an H. Daniels and the road that would become State Fair has 3 houses along the north side, one in the approximate location of this address.

I drove past today. The lot certainly looks ancient and...haunted. Higher ground, overgrown with ratty pines or cedars. I could picture a dilapidated farm house there. It clearly stands out in older aerial photos, and the area certainly developed quickly between 1949 and 1952:

Name:  1949.jpg
Views: 4553
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  1952.jpg
Views: 4452
Size:  79.9 KB

I'm sure these types of house were in most every town across the country in the 40s, 50s and 60s, having been built decades earlier, but falling into disrepair as the families aged.

But you have to wonder if they weren't in the back of someone's mind when they conceived the notion of families with names like Addams or Munster. [[Yes, I know the comic strip goes back much farther, just a thought exercise.)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Just so I follow correctly...

Edward & Christine Daniel lived on E State Fair in 1930

One of their daughters - Esther, who goes by Edna - married Thomas Love in 1928 in Washtenaw County, but she [[they?) is still living on State Fair in 1930.

Her parents, Edward and Christine, passed in 1944 and 1948.

Edna continues to live there into the 1960s, by her married name Love, but uses her mother's name, Christine Daniel, for the phone listing?

The house is vacant by 1967.

Atlas plats for the late 1890s, early 1900s show the land in that area owned by an H. Daniels and the road that would become State Fair has 3 houses along the north side, one in the approximate location of this address.

I drove past today. The lot certainly looks ancient and...haunted. Higher ground, overgrown with ratty pines or cedars. I could picture a dilapidated farm house there. It clearly stands out in older aerial photos, and the area certainly developed quickly between 1949 and 1952:

Name:  1949.jpg
Views: 4553
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  1952.jpg
Views: 4452
Size:  79.9 KB
    Edna and Esther were sisters, not the same. But you've got the rest correct as far as I can tell

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Edna and Esther were sisters, not the same. But you've got the rest correct as far as I can tell
    Ok, I just see daughters Alma, Leona, and Esther listed in your census snapshot.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Ok, I just see daughters Alma, Leona, and Esther listed in your census snapshot.
    Edna was quite a bit older. She was 7 in the 1910 census and married by the 1930 that I posted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast