Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ok, that makes sense. So at some point, she moves back to her parent's house on State Fair.

Some time after 1940 because she was still in Saline on the 1940 census. Her father died in 44 and mother in 48; I can't find a death or divorce record for her husband, so I don't know if he went with her or not

Thanks for finding all of that info. Edna had a daughter also named Edna born 1930 and a son Thomas in 1933. So that clears up the name question. It was no ordinary house, 3 story and had a roofed cement porch across the front. Wooden staircase, wide wood casings.

I remember the house during the 60's when we drove past it weekly on my way to see my older sister. It was so different than the little bungalows around it that it still stands out in my memory

I love finding those historical anomalies around town.

Two aerial photos from 1967 and 1981. The house was razed sometime between.

Name:  1967.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  1981.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  103.6 KB

As I mentioned earlier, around the turn of the century, the land was owned by someone with the last name of Daniels. Coincidence or ancestor with a slight name change? From a 1904 atlas. Probably the house in question at the bottom center of the plot.

Name:  1904.jpg.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  89.1 KB

Searching for Edna's father, Edward C Daniel, I see him listed in the 1915 phone book nearby, in Halfway [[Eastpointe).

Name:  1915.jpg.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  167.5 KB

And in 1918 at an address I can't make sense of. Would it be the name of an apartment building? The Lincoln phone exchange was based at a central office on Van Dyke just north of Gratiot.

Name:  1918.jpg.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  192.1 KB

And in 1929 on State Fair:

Name:  929.jpg.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  144.3 KB

Christine's listing in the 1947 phone book, since Edward had already passed a few years earlier.

Name:  1947.jpg.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  164.8 KB

Edward's father's name was Henry according to Edward and Christine's wedding cert.
    Also in 1900 Edward was still at home with Henry and family in Gratiot Twp, which I believe encompassed most of the far NE side and suburbs.
    Last edited by jcole; March-28-18 at 10:06 AM.

Hmm. That was definitely Gratiot Twp at the time. And his name starts with H. Maybe father's and/or grandfather's farm?

Henry[[Heinrich) was born in Germany in 1827 so I would guess it was his farm purchased after he moved here.

Looking for number of Herman Mack 1590 Hurlbut, started with "Valley"

Have you got a year? I come up with the 1940 census but no directories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine Huebner View Post
    Last edited by jcole; June-13-19 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Huebner View Post
    VAlley2-8127 in the 1961 phone book.

Default I'm looking for an address for the Andreski family mid 60's

Trying to find Francis "Frank" Andreski family living in the Detroit area in the mid 60's. I'm looking for what high school their oldest, Frank L Andreski Jr. went to. Born 1947 so probably graduated 1964 or 1965?? Thanks for help with the address.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, around the turn of the century, the land was owned by someone with the last name of Daniels. Coincidence or ancestor with a slight name change? From a 1904 atlas. Probably the house in question at the bottom center of the plot.

Name:  1904.jpg.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  89.1 KB

Searching for Edna's father, Edward C Daniel, I see him listed in the 1915 phone book nearby, in Halfway [[Eastpointe).

Name:  1915.jpg.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  167.5 KB

And in 1918 at an address I can't make sense of. Would it be the name of an apartment building? The Lincoln phone exchange was based at a central office on Van Dyke just north of Gratiot.

Name:  1918.jpg.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  192.1 KB
    Fisher Rd near Gratiot. I found this in the 1920 census. It was a farm in Gratiot Twp.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Fisher Rd near Gratiot.
    Thanks jcole, makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by lindym View Post
    Trying to find Francis "Frank" Andreski family living in the Detroit area in the mid 60's. I'm looking for what high school their oldest, Frank L Andreski Jr. went to. Born 1947 so probably graduated 1964 or 1965?? Thanks for help with the address.
    Sorry I missed this.

If he lived on the eastside, there was a Frank [[& Lorraine) Andreski, machine operator at Wire & Iron Products, living at 2142 Adele Street, which was two streets north of Harper, running between St Aubin and Chene. Now long gone with the Poletown project. Not sure which school district that would put him in.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Sorry I missed this.

If he lived on the eastside, there was a Frank [[& Lorraine) Andreski, machine operator at Wire & Iron Products, living at 2142 Adele Street, which was two streets north of Harper, running between St Aubin and Chene. Now long gone with the Poletown project. Not sure which school district that would put him in.
    Might have been the old Northeastern High School at Warren & Grandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Most city directories are on-line now. Hard copies can be found at the Burton Library on the first floor of the Main Library.
    So happy to hear this. Do they have phone books from multiple years? That would be great. Phone books are a great historical record few people appreciate.

I've been looking for old Detroit phone books and haven't been able to find them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2