Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Police, 1903

Great old photo of the Sergeants of the Detroit Police Department in 1903. Photo after that is a page from the 1903 annual report of the DPD which [[in part) listed the entire roster of the Department. Notice that all their home addresses are listed. The unions would have a shitfit about that today, but those were different times, I guess. No, I'm not in the photo there......I was just a Patrolman in that year. Or close to it, anyway.

Hi Ray, does the name Tom Picking ring a bell?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Great old photo of the Sergeants of the Detroit Police Department in 1903. Photo after that is a page from the 1903 annual report of the DPD which [[in part) listed the entire roster of the Department. Notice that all their home addresses are listed. The unions would have a shitfit about that today, but those were different times, I guess. No, I'm not in the photo there......I was just a Patrolman in that year. Or close to it, anyway.
    Cool photo Ray. Those were indeed different times, but if I were a cop today I would certainly want my union to have a shitfit about having my home address published.
    As a side note, my dad was a hostage in a bar stickup gone wrong on the Southwest side in the 1960s. One of the bad guys held a gun to his head when the cops showed up. The holdup guys finally agreed to drop their guns. Anyway, my dad kept a News of Free Press newspaper clipping about the incident, and the article included my dad's name and our home address! So I guess if the holdup men wanted to come over later and apologize or something, they knew where to find my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by caldogven View Post
    Hi Ray, does the name Tom Picking ring a bell?
    Sorry to say it does not. But often my grey cells don't click so well.

Hi Ray,
    thats a great old photo and I'll bet the DPD would appreciate a copy of it for the new archive museum they've established in the new headquarters.

Yes it's odd how home addresses were so freely shared back when. I have old Tigers programs that list the home addresses of the players, so you could drop in at the Kaline's in Lathrup Village if the mood struck I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Hi Ray,
    thats a great old photo and I'll bet the DPD would appreciate a copy of it for the new archive museum they've established in the new headquarters.
    I don't have a copy of the report. It's on Google Books on the internet.

No secret around here where officers, deputies and Troopers live.

They park their fully marked cars in their driveways when they're home.

Meddle....Same here in Santa Fe...two of my neighbors keep their marked cars in their driveways. Ditto when I lived in Albuquerque.
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; April-23-17 at 05:51 AM.

We were allowed to take our motorcycles home, but they had to be garaged. But no one took marked cars home, ever. They were on the road nearly 24/7.

We were allowed to take our motorcycles home, but they had to be garaged. But no one took marked cars home, ever. They were on the road nearly 24/7.
    Attachment 33215

Thank you Ray, I can only hope to be you in my 80's.

Pic - American Picker Boner edition.

Love it! Thank you for sharing