Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Solar Eclipse - August 21st, 2017

Anybody making arrangements to see this event ? I've always wanted to witness one first-hand, and this will be the best opportunity in our lifetime. I'll be heading to a favorite motel at the Western end of Iowa. I'll then drive in to Nebraska to the totality zone. I'm heading West instead of Tennessee/Kentucky to reduce the odds of an overcast day. It's my understanding that SE Michigan will see 80% totality.

Here's a map to peruse with some details..... https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/solar.html

Thanks for the link!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    ...I'll be heading to a favorite motel at the Western end of Iowa. I'll then drive in to Nebraska to the totality zone....
    That's some dedication. I usually wait for eclipses to come to me.

If you happen to be near a tree, note the effect the eclipse has on its shadow. Each pinhole in the canopy acts like a pinhole camera and projects a reversed image of the eclipse on the ground. It makes the whole shadow look like it was repainted by an artist using only C-shaped brush strokes.

I assume you have a safe filter. If not, you can make a pinhole camera out of a shoebox & put some white paper where the image lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

If you happen to be near a tree, note the effect the eclipse has on its shadow. Each pinhole in the canopy acts like a pinhole camera and projects a reversed image of the eclipse on the ground. It makes the whole shadow look like it was repainted by an artist using only C-shaped brush strokes.
    Yup. Here's a shot of the front of my house during a partial that took place in May of 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yup. Here's a shot of the front of my house during a partial that took place in May of 2012.
    Thanks for the photo! A photo shows it so much better than words.

That is so freaking cool!

After August, the next total solar eclipse visible in the United States will be on April 8, 2024. Path of totality should include Toledo.

Yes. Totally tripped out!

seeetotaleclipse-intreeshadows

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    That is so freaking cool!
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-20-17 at 09:28 PM.

When was the last big one significantly viewable to our area?

After August, the next total solar eclipse visible in the United States will be on April 8, 2024. Path of totality should include Toledo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    When was the last big one significantly viewable to our area?
    The last big one significantly viewable to our area I remember was in the latter part of the 80s. If you've never experienced one it's really interesting, like the leaves [[I remember that) and pay attention to the response from birds.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-20-17 at 11:46 PM.

And that's why I'm so willing to make a day drive to Iowa/Nebraska. I've lived here long enough to know the odds of a clear day in April. Great pics !

I recall that now HT! Getting the box with a hole and trying to see the half moon imaging. No luck on my part that time. HAH!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The last big one significantly viewable to our area I remember was in the latter part of the 80s. If you've never experienced one it's really interesting, like the leaves [[I remember that) and pay attention to the response from birds.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-21-17 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I recall that now HT! Getting the box with a hole and trying to see the half moon imaging. No luck on my part that time. HAH!
    We went out hiking Downtown during the peak on our lunch hour. One of the women I worked with made one of those viewers out of spare office supplies and it worked quite well. There was a welding shop in Rivertown and the guys were outside looking @ the eclipse with welding goggles. They let us try them, they worked great. TV stations set up cameras and monitors in Hart Plaza so you could see it on TV and not stare into the sun. Fun stuff.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-21-17 at 02:11 PM.

I get to travel outside to my backyard where I'm almost directly under the path.

I'm expecting storms that day however.

We want to go stay overnight down Clarksville, TN way, and find a good viewing spot. Or maybe eastern Tennessee, as we have relatives there.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; April-26-17 at 09:09 PM.

Just an fyi that solar eclipse glasses are available at any E-Z Storage location in the Metro Area for only a dollar. Any Public Library is supposed to also have a limited supply available for free.

Was just reading that the Yellowstone/Teton area is expecting an extra 100,000 visitors to witness the eclipse. All hotels & campgrounds are booked. Admission to both Nat'l Parks are free due to traffic concerns.

"We are Stardust....We are Golden"

I'll pass on staring at the sun with dollar glasses! JUST JOKING!!! Indeed we are 'Stardust.......' The images should be pretty spectacular!!

How's about that! I am looking forward to those images caught in tree leaf shadows. Those are so cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ....There was a welding shop in Rivertown and the guys were outside looking @ the eclipse with welding goggles. They let us try them, they worked great. TV stations set up cameras and monitors in Hart Plaza so you could see it on TV and not stare into the sun. Fun stuff.

I just found this article that lists a lot of local eclipse events:
    Celebrating solar splendor.

It says locally we'll see "maybe about 80-85 percent coverage, but even if it's cloudy that day, it will get darker and cooler outside."

Eclipse glasses - check. Reservations for lodging - check. We're heading to St. Louis, Missouri to view the eclipse.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this in the media. Can't you use your cell phone to view the solar eclipse by basically taking a selfie and catching the eclipse behind you? That's definitely a way to view the eclipse without looking directly at it.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this in the media. Can't you use your cell phone to view the solar eclipse by basically taking a selfie and catching the eclipse behind you? That's definitely a way to view the eclipse without looking directly at it.
    It has been mentioned all over social media and do it only if you want to risk burning up your phone's lens. There are different things being said for different phones. IPhone's lens is large enough that it lets in enough light to burn the lens. I don't know about all the others, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to risk a $500 phone when I can look at the eclipse in a puddle or on a wall.

Not the lens. The digital imaging sensor chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Not the lens. The digital imaging sensor chip.
    Yes. The lens is transparent so it will focus all that heat onto the chip.

Astronomers use a lot of filters, color filters for viewing planets, light pollution filters, etc. These filters are typically screwed onto the back of the eyepiece.

Telescope solar filters are special though. They must be attached to the big objective end of the telescope to block all that heat from entering and damaging the internals.
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-21-17 at 09:21 AM.

Some welders are recommending a #14 filter glass for safe viewing.
    My auto darkening helmet is not enough.
    I will be at work and watching on TV / computer.

Just a re-post of Nasa's live link:

https://www.nasa.gov/eclipse2017

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast