Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default St. Rita Apartments, 35 Owen

So far as I know, the first Detroit building to be listed in 2017 on the National Register of Historic Sites is the St. Rita Apartment building at 35 Owen in the North End district of Detroit. I find little information about this building or why it is now listed on the National Register. It is undergoing renovation. Does anyone know more of the story? Thank you.

Ren, next time check HDAA.
    Designed by Harry C. Stevens. Saint Rita Apartments 35 Owen built in 1916 North End Detroit, MI. Includes an article featuring the building from a 1916 issue of the Detroit Free Press.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

There is a nice article on Model D today about the St. Rita. I have always thought that the terracotta made this building beautiful and its great to see it being brought back after many years of vacancy.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/...ock+of+Detroit
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; December-12-17 at 01:46 PM.

I’m glad to see they are replicating the original framing of the windows. I hope they install some reasonably historically accurate double hung widows.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I’m glad to see they are replicating the original framing of the windows. I hope they install some reasonably historically accurate double hung widows.
    in theory, if the project receives historic reuse grants/funds the look of the fenestration would be replicated. we know that's not always followed though ex: wright-kay bldg + bedrock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright...ng#cite_note-6

Abandoned or under-used schools, warehouses, factories, churches, retail stores, apartments, hotels, houses, and offices in many cities have been restored to life in a manner that retains their historic character. The Preservation Tax Incentives have also helped to create moderate and low-income housing in historic buildings.
    https://www.nps.gov/TPS/tax-incentiv...sentials_1.htm