Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit: The 67 Riot Movie: Looks like this is going to be a good movie

Detroit Movie coming August 4th
    Based on the 1967 riots and featuring heavy the Algiers Hotel incident

No thanks, saw the original. [[Me in the tear gas vest. Hot.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Lolol....touche'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Lol good point Ray

I feel a little like Ray on this. Lived through the first one, don't really want to see the remake.

That's a badass photo Ray

The trailer makes the film look like a low budget work - something about the cinematography.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    That's a badass photo Ray
    Yeah, it is. Was taken on the first day of the riot. I think this is Pingree, just east of 12th Street. We were covering a couple of fire units fighting a fire on the corner who reported they were being stoned, and the photo was taken by a DFD photographer. We put in a 16 hour day that day, got some rest, and went to 12 hour days for about ten days. All that brought about a funny incident three weeks later, and I've got to share it...........

Needless to say, there was a lot of overtime pay that came out of that mess. I decided to buy a color TV for the family. Did so, and then went to Olson Electronics on Grand River and Greenfield to buy a good antenna. Took my young son with me. Picked out the antenna and peeled out a Michigan bankroll [[$20 bill on the outside, bunch of singles inside) to pay. Son says "Gee pop, that's a bunch of money. Did you get that in the riot?" Evil looks from clerk and adjacent customers. Quick explanation seemed to resolve the matter, but I still laugh today thinking about it.

I remember having to take the Joy Road bus downtown to get to work on Day 2. Express wasn't running. It was just the driver and me, going down the silent streets. NOBODY was out. At Grand River and the Boulevard, there were those tanks and troops. It felt like there was a bull's eye on my back the entire trip. Hardly anyone was at work. I can't remember why I went, but if I didn't go, I didn't get paid, and I was saving for school in the fall. The bad old days.

I had a birds-eye view. I was flying in from NYC with my family and the flight path to DFW was across the 8 Mile/Woodward area. It was an Electra prop plane as I recall and we came in low. It was eerie to see numerous fires burning out of control with no fire trucks in sight. There was a new hardware store on Livernois just south of 8 Mile burning out of control; the pilot made no announcement that there was a riot in progress.

Driving from the airport to Green Acres we saw 1bout 40 State police cars gassing up at a station on 8 Mile and although there wasn't much news on the radio we did learn of the riot and where the center of activity was located. There had been a riot in Newark the week before the one in Detroit started, which lasted a week and I believe all,the publicity re that one sparked the riot in Detroit.

I had an office in the 5 Mile/Livernois area and spent a lot of time outside viewing the fires. There was a party atmosphere and there was no racial animosity at all between the whites and blacks milling around. In fact it was very friendly. It was definitely not a race riot as the one in 1943 obviously was.