Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Updates on Metropolitan, Wurlitzer, Farwell and Book

Looking for someone to post some pics of the exterior progress of the ongoing restoration of these historic properties.

No pics to post, but from the exterior it appears significant work is occurring on both the Book and Wurlitzer buildings. Some progress is being made on the Metropolitan too, but from the exterior it appeared the Book and Wurlitzer were both much more active.

This is from walking around the city on 4/7/17. I did not walk by the Farwell building so no update there.

I know they've been cleaning the exterior and restoring detail on the Book Tower for awhile now, but DG still hasn't alluded to exactly what is going to go into the building. Same for the Stott. Just the run of the mill "mixed use" jargon so far. Those would be some fantastic views from the Book Tower I'd like to see.

I could imagine that there's so much clean-up to be done with both that they really don't have plans yet. Or if they do, it would be premature to say anything.

The David Stott because of its small floor footprint was said to become apartments above the base floors of the building. The Book Bldg. and Book Tower are just being described as "mixed use". But the Vinton bldg. at Congress and Woodward is nearing completion as apartments at the astounding rate of $6,000.00 - 8,000.00 per month per a representative of Bedrock Real Estate.

I don't have any "now" images of any of those buildings... but here's a pair of "then" images...

The Book Tower had arguably the highest emergency fire escape in the world, for an office building... and it would terrify anyone to have used it [[especially in its' decaying condition). What I am curious about is the fact that the inside emergency stairs is only an exterior wall away from the outside fire escape... they're right next to each other. Wonder what can replace the exterior escape, when only 1 set of interior stairs exist.

The other image is of the "rooftop garden" on the Metropolitan Building. I wonder if any exterior use is planned for this spot?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Gistok; April-16-17 at 03:27 AM.

GISTOK. It was my understanding that the exterior fire escape has to be replaced and this is going to be one of the major expenses. No other options, apparently.

I'm sure Bedrock will find a way to make a fire escape some kind of "destination" feature. I mean, they've already made it cool to hang out in alleys and look at art in parking garages...

Maybe a massive glass slide to the bottom where a ball pit awaits.

UPDATE: Wurlitzer has a new name [Siren] and an opening date.

I find the name curious. Siren? Sirens in Greek mythology were alluring women whose songs seduced sailors to steering the ships into rocks. In the Odyssey Ulysses had to fill his sailors ears with wax to keep them from wrecking his ship. And in Detroit the term siren is more negative than positive.

Siren Hotel to open in Wurlitzer Building in November

'The Siren Hotel in downtown Detroit's historic Wurlitzer Building will be ready for guests in November, following a $22 million build-out of the 55,000-square-foot space.

"The hotel, at 1509 Broadway St., will feature 98 rooms and eight suites, along with seven food and beverage spaces, two retail shops and panoramic rooftop views, according to real estate developer Ash NYC, which owns and operates the hotel. The group purchased the building in 2015 for $1.4 million.

"The name is inspired by Sirens of ancient Greek mythology, a metaphoric beckoning of people back to a revitalizing Detroit. As such, the hotel's goal is to be a mingling spot for guests and locals, providing an authentic experience in the city, said Jonathan Minkoff, co-founder and CFO of Ash NYC.

Full article with pictures at Crains >>

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    GISTOK. It was my understanding that the exterior fire escape has to be replaced and this is going to be one of the major expenses. No other options, apparently.
    I hope they hire these guys to replace it:

http://www.dironwork.com/

Siren?

"Lured to certain death" is a unique branding position and one which will never be duplicated.

Detroit has long been known for generating tag lines for a variety of brands.

"Have you driven a Ford, lately?"
    "We Do good work"
    "Closest thing to wholesale"

I would be interested in hearing catchy tag lines which will capture the essence of Hotel that promises to kill you.

Perchance: "Siren. The Last Bed You'll Need!"

Siren: Don't call us, we'll call you.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...new-brownfield

Interesting tidbit from Crain's today on the new brownfield credits and how they relate to the Book Tower & Monroe block:

It's not yet known what Rock's Book Tower or Monroe Block projects might cost. The Monroe Block project would include the historic National Theatre building and two new office and residential towers bounded by Randolph Street, Bates Street, Cadillac Square and Monroe Avenue.
    The city is scheduled to hold a meeting this month to discuss a community benefits agreement for the Monroe Block and Book Tower projects.

https://thesirenhotel.com/rooms

The siren hotel [[wurlitzer building) is set to open within the next few weeks. The website now has details of all the rooms it offers. The hotel looks beautiful! This is going to be a hell of a boutique hotel that downtown has to offer.

Also the site has some info on all the retail it's going to offer, and it is offering PLENTY! Rooms range from $139-$430 dollars a night to start, and I'm sure on weekends will increase, but those are great prices!

https://thesirenhotel.com/directory

Populace Cafe - coffee spot

Candy Bar - late night drinks spot

Albena - 8 seat restaurant only accessible by advanced reservation, all by Chef Garret Lipar!!! [[he returns to detroit!)

Pot & Box - flower shop

Karls - some sort of bakery?

The Social Grooming Club Company - Barber shop

The Roof - Rooftop bar looking into comerica park [[!!!!! finally not just for DAC members!)

Sid's Gold Request Room - Piano karaoke bar!

Siren Shop - sounds like a run of the mill hotel shop for guests

and there is one other retail spot yet to be announced

how they're fitting all these exciting retail outposts into one small boutique hotel is beyond me.. but man i'm excited.. this is going to be a jolt of energy to this part of downtown.. especiallly when the shinola hotel and the element hotel open later this year... got ourselves a great hotel district brewing!

All of this development is a bit overwhelming. For decades Detroit has been so frustrating in its inability to get out of its own way.

For example, I will point to residential loft space. Now it is all the rage and loft spaces are everywhere, but not so long ago such use was illegal and folks that lived in converted manufacturing space lived a life marked by dodging the authorities.

On Service Street, off of Russell and Gratiot, the whole scene was tinged with the edginess of being lawbreakers; essentially a colony of folks who kept the open secret of their living situation secret. There was an esprit de corps within that enclave that kept violent crime low and the sense of brotherhood high.

The maddening part was that City Hall refused to entertain the notion of loft space. Most folks eventually tired of the perpetual cat-and-mouse game and moved to legitimate housing and that meant the suburbs.

I just read the Viola Lofts sold for $2 million. $2 million before it's all fluffed up with stainless steel appliances and granite countertops.

~sigh~

The new money is great. The new hotels and stores and events are great, in fact, it's almost everything ever wished for.

I guess I miss the struggle, the esprit de corps.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

I guess I miss the struggle, the esprit de corps.
    I don't think there is any shortness of struggle left, just in different places

Anyone with connections to how the Book restoration is going? The exterior is amazing to watch. Just curious to know how the inside is going...

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    https://thesirenhotel.com/rooms

The Roof - Rooftop bar looking into comerica park [[!!!!! finally not just for DAC members!)
    The Opera House has a rooftop bar open to the public also.

I had coffee there today, it was pleasant. Another great place to enjoy nicely roasted and brewed coffee in Detroit.