Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Great. Or the new one. West and Northwestsiders going to Canada shouldn't bring their traffic downtown.
    Oh I agree 100%!! The tunnel should be strictly reserved for us Eastsiders!

And us mid-towners! I prefer the tunnel, withstanding the wet spots apparent as you go thru......

Mystery development deal pitched for Joe Louis Arena site in Detroit

Sterling Group would essentially buy the 5-acre arena site — plus the nearby 3,200-space arena garage — from the former creditor for $14.1 million. Sterling Group also would enter into a development agreement with the city that would give Detroit:

• A $2 million up-front payment.
    • Annual payments totaling $12.1 million through 2039, which would equal the city's scheduled payments on a $10 million loan for Joe Louis Arena demolition costs.
    • $7 million in reimbursements on Sterling Group's anticipated Brownfield tax-increment financing plan for the arena site's redevelopment project.
    • Relief from spending $2.8 million in currently required repairs to the arena garage.
    • Relief from spending an estimated $4 million for environmental cleanup at the arena site.

Eli Torgow, CEO of the Sterling Group, declined comment after the meeting when asked about his firm's intentions for the old arena site.
    The Sterling Group was started in 1988 and today is run by the adult children of its cofounder, Gary Torgow, now the executive chairman of TCF Financial Corp.
    Sterling Group is also a developer and future landlord for TCF's new downtown Detroit headquarters at 2047 Woodward, now under construction.
    Then there's this:
    Detroit Rising: City needs a convention hotel attached to TCF Center, Bedrock exec says

"Ideally," Leber said, a new convention hotel would be situated between Hart Plaza and TCF Center on the riverfront — on the opposite side of the former home of the Detroit Red Wings.
    "But the location of Joe Louis and the potential connectivity could be really unique," said Leber, a 2018 Crain's 40 Under 40 honoree.
    Last edited by hybridy; October-28-19 at 02:16 PM.

I must have missed other news clips about turning the old Police HQ... 1300 Beaubien into a hotel. Glad to hear that, it is such a classy building, that the city neglected for so long while it was a Police HQ. Great that Gilbert is coming thru again....

I'm surprised with The Joe almost gone, serious development talks [[apparently) happening, and 375 slated to be gone soon there isn't any talk of reconnecting this site to the rest of downtown by burying the Lodge.

I just don't see how this space can be successful without some kind of non-convoluted car/pedestrian connection to downtown.

Attachment 41799

Looks like the Sterling Group envisions a 24-story 290 feet residential tower at the former Joe Louis site with a tentative name as The Louis. It will consist of 500 studio and one bedroom units. The plan currently does not layout other possible uses in addition to the residential units. The Sterling Group has 5 years to break ground.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...uis-arena-site
    Last edited by ShadowSoarer; November-05-21 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    I'm surprised with The Joe almost gone, serious development talks [[apparently) happening, and 375 slated to be gone soon there isn't any talk of reconnecting this site to the rest of downtown by burying the Lodge.

I just don't see how this space can be successful without some kind of non-convoluted car/pedestrian connection to downtown.
    I so sooo agree, and further: the Lodge should end at 75.
    Even if so, for this project, the TCF Center would still separate it from downtown.
    At least there's the People Mover. I never appreciated it enough.
    Last edited by bust; November-05-21 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    Attachment 41799

Looks like the Sterling Group envisions a 24-story 290 feet residential tower at the former Joe Louis site with a tentative name as The Louis. It will consist of 500 studio and one bedroom units. The plan currently does not layout other possible uses in addition to the residential units. The Sterling Group has 5 years to break ground.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...uis-arena-site
    Wish I could read it, but hey: via some glitch that works to our benefit I can see an image from the article in your quote. Maybe after I post this so can everyone else.

EDIT: Now, after my response, I can see the image in your post too.
    Last edited by bust; November-05-21 at 06:11 PM.

Everyone keep in mind that this is a CONCEPTUAL design and is only one portion of the development. There's definitely more to be announced as this occupies only a fraction of the site.

Wish I could read it, but hey: via some glitch that works to our benefit I can see an image from the article in your quote. Maybe after I post this so can everyone else.

EDIT: Now, after my response, I can see the image in your post too.
    Not sure if I am allowed to post the full article, but below is part of the article. For Mac Reader View then refresh to read full.

"The owner of the former Joe Louis Arena site on the Detroit River envisions at least part of its redevelopment to include a 24-story, 290-foot residential high-rise.

The vision is laid out in a conceptual plan submitted to the city in July, which Crain's obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request on Friday. In the plan, Sterling Group — which is run by founder Gary Torgow's adult children — says the tower would tentatively be named The Louis and have 500 studio and one-bedroom units.

Specific plans for the property have not been publicly discussed since an affiliate of Sterling Group acquired the 9-acre property and the arena's 3,000-space parking deck as part of a complicated $14.1 million deal struck two years ago with the city.

A text message sent to a Sterling Group executive seeking comment on Friday was not returned.

The plan does not lay out any other possible uses in addition to the residential building, although the site has often been discussed as a mixed-use development with several components, including, potentially, a hotel."

[QUOTE=bust;617786]I so sooo agree, and further: the Lodge should end at 75.

It would be easier to end the Lodge at Michigan Ave than at I-75. Just my assessment.

I so sooo agree, and further: the Lodge should end at 75.

It would be easier to end the Lodge at Michigan Ave than at I-75. Just my assessment.
    Name:  lodge ends at 75.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  97.1 KB
    since we're on the topic, i'm gonna throw you all another janky mockup here's the lodge ending at 75 but with an on-ramp via Michigan Ave. off-ramps would go to 75 or 75's service drive.

but for real there is SO much extra downtown space to be had cutting the lodge above Michigan! it would add traffic to Trumbull and 3rd as channels toward the convention center but that's really the only drawback i can think of. that whole area is dystopian concrete pasta.
    Last edited by kuuma; November-06-21 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Totally agree exit ramps into downtown and entrance ramps into the Lodge/75 from downtown should use the footprint already established by Michigan Ave.

But what a shame were the Lodge to exit West onto Michigan, and collect traffic North via onramps from there. It'd eat up as much Corktown as removing the Lodge South would provide. Not another Gratiot-Orleans.

South on the Lodge or North 75 not exiting downtown? An exit a little West would be an insignificant delay. No zooms, and what's left of Corktown could remain. Or if Corktown's where you're headed, and there's where you're coming from, go easy. Would you destroy where you're headed for a minute's gain?

Royce, your insights are spot on, as usual.
    Last edited by bust; November-06-21 at 10:45 PM.

does anyone remember this Young Architects Competition for the JLA site? of course these are all high-concept imaginations, but the results are wildly imaginative, progressive, ecological considerate. any one of these plans would be absolutely iconic additions to the skyline, yet it's looking like we're just gonna end up with a box.

i realize the new render we just got is rough and early in the process, and i am just an observer in all this, but comparing it to all these incredible concepts, it's just such a bummer to see the disconnect between what the imaginations of ambitious architects have laid out for the site, and what's left after the ringer of practicality rips it down into something with no vision. just makes me wonder if the site owners bothered to research what's been dreamed up for this place before putting forth the bare minimum. it feels like such a major missed opportunity.

It always seems to go that route unless it is a pet project by some billionaire or state run project. While I agree that functionality & the site plan should drive the design of the building, the glass box seems to be the winner more often then not. It's just hard to maximize sellable/rentable footage when you have Santiago Calatrava designing your structure. Hopefully that placeholder they have up there is truly concept only and we get something with a little more pizazz, though I'm not counting on it.

We've discussed many times what an isolated site this is. If they can put anything there it will be a minor miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    We've discussed many times what an isolated site this is. If they can put anything there it will be a minor miracle.
    Very much agree! The one thing going for that site [besides the waterfront] is that there is a People Mover station right across the street! Perhaps they will want a skybridge.

I think we're getting a little too hung up on the conceptual rendering. If this is a true residential development, I imagine it'll have some balconies, a pool and maybe even a rooftop deck. Possibly something along the lines of the plans for City Club in Midtown instead of a glass tower.

Interesting concept!

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    Name:  lodge ends at 75.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  97.1 KB
    since we're on the topic, i'm gonna throw you all another janky mockup here's the lodge ending at 75 but with an on-ramp via Michigan Ave. off-ramps would go to 75 or 75's service drive.

but for real there is SO much extra downtown space to be had cutting the lodge above Michigan! it would add traffic to Trumbull and 3rd as channels toward the convention center but that's really the only drawback i can think of. that whole area is dystopian concrete pasta.

Yea the site is hemmed in and isolated, but Rivertown & the Riverfront Towers are essentially isolated communities on the water & those are incredibly popular residential facilities. I'm not necessary advocating for some fenced in fortress community but lets be real. The Lodge isn't getting buried, to the chagrin of many, and that JLA site isn't going to be any better connected to downtown before shovels hit the ground in the next 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Yea the site is hemmed in and isolated, but Rivertown & the Riverfront Towers are essentially isolated communities on the water & those are incredibly popular residential facilities. I'm not necessary advocating for some fenced in fortress community but lets be real.
    When I lived at Riverfront Towers 1997-2002, the only isolation I & the neighbors I felt was a positive one -- the relative physical security offered by the complex & a fairly quick 1st Precinct police response we assumed was due in-part to many city government officials living there. We also had a small grocery store in the complex, though prices were high & many times, the products were past their expiration dates, and still had price labels on them from where the store owner bought them from Kroger, A&P or Meijer's! Heck, there was even a bar/restaurant there!

When I wanted to leave the confines of the Riverfront Towers complex, I could be standing near the tracks, waiting for a People Mover within about 3 minutes of leaving my apartment, or I could be on W Fort St in my car. I'd walk to the big Post Office, and sometimes walk to Hart Plaza, Greek Town, etc. though back then, I wouldn't have recommended that to most people. As part of my apartment lease for the first couple years, I received a monthly People Mover pass.

I've been away from Detroit & Michigan for almost 19 years now, but especially if things have improved and more suburbanites are looking forward to the challenges & excitement of living in downtown Detroit, I don't think any feeling of isolation at a somewhat secure residential complex on the ground of the former JLA would be negative.

I have no idea who owns Riverfront Towers now, or how they're doing financially, etc. but them building a new apartment or condo tower there may have been a good idea.

Again, paywall article, but color me surprised:
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...partment-tower

Default I thought it was just a concept, that maybe would be constructed in 10 years

Again, paywall article, but color me surprised:
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...partment-tower
    [COLOR=var[[--primary-text)]I

Big Shocker thought it was just a concept, that maybe would be constructed in 10 years
    [/COLOR]

Seems like the tower would only be one component of that site? The JLA site is pretty large, I'm wondering if there is more to come on it.

I noticed the studios start from 259 sq. ft.? An average hotel room is about 300.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast