Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Duggan in a landslide.

He is the beneficiary of a confluence of positive events. A steadily improving economy, big auto sales, Dan Gilbert appearing out of thin air and injecting billions in downtown, street lights up, bankruptcy in the rear view mirror [thank you Jones Day], city services improved, the DIA collection saved, Belle Isle off the books and improved, new projects announced weekly, cranes a common sight....

Does he deserve it? Doesn't matter. In politics if it happens on your watch you get it -- good or bad.

Oh, and Dave Bing didn't live in Detroit either.
    I listened to his State of the City address - impressive. Detroit hasn't seen this much forward momentum since it's heady days.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcitymadame View Post
    As a Native Detroiter, I just know the City deserves better and can do better! I do not see Duggan, a white man from the suburbs, who was not even a resident until 3 years ago, that changed his residency just to run for Mayor of a City he nor his family live in, as being someone that knows and has a passion for the revitalization of the entire City. We are not all so naive as to jump on the bandwagon just because he got a few street lights. It doesn't take a genius to find a vendor and allocate funding for things that need improving.
    So leaving the relative safety of a suburb to move into a dangerous city, with high taxes, and poor public services in order to run for mayor and fix the problems isn't passionate enough? That's not to say there weren't passionate people in Detroit already but he had and has the political and managerial wherewithal to want to be mayor of Detroit, arguable America's most dysfunctional city.

And no it wasn't "some" streetlights, it's literally every streetlight in the city, which has affected EVERY neighborhood.

I understand the neighborhoods need loving too [[and are getting it believe it or not) but I don't get why people expected him to suddenly change the neighborhoods from what they are to looking like Astoria or Lincoln Park or whatever. Downtown and Midtown are barely what they could be.

I feel that Duggan had done a great job especially with DDOT and the demolition of abandoned structures that previous administration had done poorly

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    " a white man from the suburbs".....identity politics strikes again!!!

As far as I recall, CYII [[formerly Joel Loving) wasn't even born in Detroit, nor Michigan for that matter. No college degree, no discernible job nor executive leadership experience, worked at either subway or Burger King and got fired from there before changing his name and runnning/winning a state rep position strictly on his father's name not on anything measurable nor identifiable that showed "any passion for the revitalization" of that city!

CYII, entire position is "vote for me because I'm black, I'm young" etc......wow seriously!

hahahha is this guy seriously trying to peddle duggan as an outsider.. ok he didn't live in the city until 2012 [[a year before the election) at least he was in the region!!!

Joel Loving [[CYII) IS A HACK AND DIDN'T LIVE IN THE STATE. HIS DAD WHO WAS ONE OF THE WORST MAYORS IN DETROITS HISTORY DENIED BEING HIS FATHER UNTIL HE WAS ALREADY A FULLY GROWN MAN BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WANT TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH HIM. This guy is clearly a hack working for Joel Loving. moving along

DUGGAN FOR DETROIT. 4 MORE YEARS

Lowell's prediction that Duggan will win in a landslide is of course correct.

What does that say about Detroit? He's actually running unopposed.

It's easy to be popular when you're spending/handing out other people's money. Your and my taxpayer dollars.

Just think what this city could be like if Dan Gilbert were running it.

And just think what it would be like if Dan Gilbert decided Cleveland was more deserving of his efforts and moved Quicken there. [[Won't happen, but the City should take out a $5 billion life insurance policy on the guy anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    So leaving the relative safety of a suburb to move into a dangerous city, with high taxes, and poor public services in order to run for mayor and fix the problems isn't passionate enough? That's not to say there weren't passionate people in Detroit already but he had and has the political and managerial wherewithal to want to be mayor of Detroit, arguable America's most dysfunctional city.

And no it wasn't "some" streetlights, it's literally every streetlight in the city, which has affected EVERY neighborhood.

I understand the neighborhoods need loving too [[and are getting it believe it or not) but I don't get why people expected him to suddenly change the neighborhoods from what they are to looking like Astoria or Lincoln Park or whatever. Downtown and Midtown are barely what they could be.
    Are you a resident? Every single street light has not been restored. That is rhetoric. I drive down streets all the time with no street lights.

Many neighborhoods are not getting any attention. Where are you getting this info? Media? Press conferences? Talk the ACTUAL residents of the City and you will understand that they feel abandoned and neglected, and rightfully so! They live on blocks with 10+ blighted properties, and crumbling sidewalks, and no one has communicated any plan from the City to resolve these issues. I myself have went to City Hall directly and spoken with the Design Director for my district and inquired about future plans, of which he said that he was not sure yet. Directed me to a website with no info, and said that he would get back to me when he found out. smdh. Transparency is a major issue. I already know from talking to local developers what is planned, ashamed that someone from the City claims to not have known. Crazy!

Mayor Duggan, Jones Day and Kevyn Orr
    The Grand Bargain that protected the pensions of Detroit employees assumed that the pension trust funds would increase by an average of 6.75 percent be year. If that did not happen, the pensions would be cut or the city would have to put much more money into the pension trust funds.
    In 2015 - within about 6 months of getting out of bankruptcy - the city of Detroit entered the bond market and found they could sell muni bonds paying 4.5 percent.
    That struck me as very odd and troubling. If a financial strained city with a recent history of bankruptcy could borrow for 4.5 percent; was it realistic to think that the pension funds could expect a 6.75% rate of return?
    Maybe Mayor Duggan does have reasons to see if those who arranged the Grand Bargain made very unrealistic assumption. It would not be the first time such a thing happened.

Are you a resident? Every single street light has not been restored. That is rhetoric. I drive down streets all the time with no street lights.

Many neighborhoods are not getting any attention. Where are you getting this info? Media? Press conferences? Talk the ACTUAL residents of the City and you will understand that they feel abandoned and neglected, and rightfully so! They live on blocks with 10+ blighted properties, and crumbling sidewalks, and no one has communicated any plan from the City to resolve these issues. I myself have went to City Hall directly and spoken with the Design Director for my district and inquired about future plans, of which he said that he was not sure yet. Directed me to a website with no info, and said that he would get back to me when he found out. smdh. Transparency is a major issue. I already know from talking to local developers what is planned, ashamed that someone from the City claims to not have known. Crazy!
    Ok, I spoke of turn but 65,000 new LED streetlights, the largest collection of such in any American city, is not "some" streetlights.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...lled/95497310/

You seemed to have raised the bar for Duggan unreasonably high and now because we aren't 2,000,000 people with thriving commercial and economic centers throughout out town, you want him out. Sorry, rebuilding a city doesn't work that way.

So yeah, we're still waiting to hear which candidate you work for...

I am an actual resident of the city. I have seen the transformation occur since Duggan took over in 2013. He has the mayoral office and the city council actually working together for the first time in 30 years. He has done many things to benefit the city. There is zero way you're going to convince majority of voters to not vote for him

Race bait all you want man, it's not going to make a difference and just makes you look pathetic.

DUGGAN FOR DETROIT

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    CYII, entire position is "vote for me because I'm black, I'm young" etc.
    That was Kwame's campaign mantra his first time around too. What did he do to improve Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    That was Kwame's campaign mantra his first time around too. What did he do to improve Detroit?
    He actually did pretty well in the improvement department. The issue was he did even better improving his own financial status.

Hey motorcitymadame!!!

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...oreUserAgent=1

oh man another neighborhood seeing huge investment being supported by duggan.. how does this fit your narrative? It doesn't.

Yawn, moving on can't wait to see Duggan reelected

Find out who is funding the campaign of each them you will know who's tune each would dance to instead of the residents

As a Native Detroiter, I just know the City deserves better and can do better! I do not see Duggan, a white man from the suburbs, who was not even a resident until 3 years ago, that changed his residency just to run for Mayor of a City he nor his family live in, as being someone that knows and has a passion for the revitalization of the entire City. We are not all so naive as to jump on the bandwagon just because he got a few street lights. It doesn't take a genius to find a vendor and allocate funding for things that need improving.

What difference does it make whether there is a white man or a black man who is Mayor? Your main concern should be what's getting done in Detroit, and from where I sit, I see quite a few "white men and white women" who are making a difference in Detroit and moving it forward. Gilbert, the Llitch family, are all white and have done more for Detroit than some others who claim they want to move Detroit forward. The destruction of Detroit can't be fixed overnight, Duggan is doing a fine job and he would have my vote if I could vote in Detroit.

You forgot POTUS with no experience...

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    To those who say they want a mayor with no experience...

Do you also want a surgeon with no experience when you go under the knife for your operation?

Do you also want a financial planner with no experience managing your retirement accounts?

Do you also want an airline pilot with no flying experience landing your next flight into DTW?

If yes to above, then I can see why you would think someone with no experience in politics or running a major organization would be great to serve as the mayor of the state's largest city.

Default Discernment is fundamental!

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Hey motorcitymadame!!!

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...oreUserAgent=1

oh man another neighborhood seeing huge investment being supported by duggan.. how does this fit your narrative? It doesn't.

Yawn, moving on can't wait to see Duggan reelected
    I was actually at the press conference for this today. I am well aware of this project, and guess what? It is one neighborhood out of 105 neighborhoods in the City.

Even if we deduct Downtown, Midtown and the 8-10 other areas getting strategic funding from private stakeholders and foundation investments...there are still at least 90+ more neighborhoods that need to be addressed. As a matter of fact, I inquired about the status of the rest of the City and how they intended to deal with the remaining blighted areas, and was told that this is a pilot and if this works they will "try" to implement it in the rest of the City. But, the catch is. . .this is at least a 5-7 year initiative alone. So that means that at that rate, we have about 150 more years before the City is fully restored. Oh, and Duggan will be on to running for Governor. . .so he won't be much concerned. I know a political stunt when I see one!

If you could have seen Duggan and his obligatory photo ops in front of blighted properties or with the grandmother and her 3 grandkids that lived on the block, you would feel as disheartened as I do. It's sad to see the people be exploited! Sad!!!
    Last edited by motorcitymadame; April-05-17 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    What difference does it make whether there is a white man or a black man who is Mayor? Your main concern should be what's getting done in Detroit, and from where I sit, I see quite a few "white men and white women" who are making a difference in Detroit and moving it forward. Gilbert, the Llitch family, are all white and have done more for Detroit than some others who claim they want to move Detroit forward. The destruction of Detroit can't be fixed overnight, Duggan is doing a fine job and he would have my vote if I could vote in Detroit.
    Somehow I just knew you were not a resident of Detroit. Call it a hunch?!

I was actually at the press conference for this today. I am well aware of this project, and guess what? It is one neighborhood out of 105 neighborhoods in the City.

Even if we deduct Downtown, Midtown and the 8-10 other areas getting strategic funding from private stakeholders and foundation investments...there are still at least 90+ more neighborhoods that need to be addressed. As a matter of fact, I inquired about the status of the rest of the City and how they intended to deal with the remaining blighted areas, and was told that this is a pilot and if this works they will "try" to implement it in the rest of the City. But, the catch is. . .this is at least a 5-7 year initiative alone. So that means that at that rate, we have about 150 more years before the City is fully restored. Oh, and Duggan will be on to running for Governor. . .so he won't be much concerned. I know a political stunt when I see one!

If you could have seen Duggan and his obligatory photo ops in front of blighted properties or with the grandmother and her 3 grandkids that lived on the block, you would feel as disheartened as I do. It's sad to see the people be exploited! Sad!!!
    look at you ending your paragraph with Sad!.. you sound like a certain POTUS

so now he is doing something for the neighborhoods and it's not enough? he has to tackle all 105 neighborhoods at once? He is focusing his entire campaign on the neighborhoods you race-baiting loser.

you know nothing about what you're talking about. you will never convince the majority that duggan is not the best candidate.

DUGGAN FOR DETROIT

Somehow I just knew you were not a resident of Detroit. Call it a hunch?!

why don't you actually respond to the extremely well-made points from cla1945??? instead of just race-baiting per usual.

I am a proud citizen of detroit and guess what? i do get to vote this november. guess who i'm voting for... hint: NOT JOEL LOVING

Quite a contrast between motorcitymadame's account of today's press conference in Fitzgerald and the one published in the Michigan Chronicle.

Detroit’s Fitzgerald neighborhood looking at a much brighter future
    https://michronicleonline.com/2017/0...ighter-future/

The facts they present are different too. The article says the plans are to complete the 2-acre park by the end of this year, the bikeway by next spring, and that all 115 of the vacant homes they're renovating must be completed and occupied in 2 years.

Maurice Cox is quoted offering words about how to tackle Detroit's daunting challenges: "You start one neighborhood at a time."
    Last edited by bust; April-06-17 at 03:42 AM.

There simply isn't enough money to work on every on neighborhood and have a big impact at once. That's reality. If you have a better plan I'd love to hear it.

Maybe you can offer up the billions of dollars it's going to take to transform the city of Detroit into a world class city again. It didn't realize it should only take 4 years to change a city that took nearly 60 years to become like it has.

I mean it did take 250 years for Detroit to go from a provincial fort/village to an industrial powerhouse...and then to loose it. And you expect 4 years for everything to change and become functional again? No more crime? Better schools? Hundreds of thousands of new middle class families? Better transit? All in 4 years?!?! HA!

I am not sure if you guys are residents, but some of you sound a bit naive to what is actually happening on the ground in 90% of the communities in the City.

People are suffering and struggling to survive all over the City.

Homes are STILL being foreclosed on because of taxes, which accounts for a large part of the problem. National and International investors are able to buy property, that they have no intention on living in, for a fraction of the taxes that a person that has lived in their property 10, 20, 30 years even owes. Meanwhile, they have not had City services, taxes reassessed since the 1960's, street lights, jobs, or a basic quality education.

The federal demolition funding has been put on hold because of mismanagement of funds, and therefore the thousands and thousands of blighted properties will remain.

People are still having their water shut off, often not because of a bill.

Over 100,000 are living without water.

Communities will continue to rot.

Residents will continue to move.

LandBank owns 100,000 properties.

If our City government were concerned they would be taking care of the Citizens basic needs. Food, water, housing, safety. We all know that none of these have been a priority in this administration whatsoever. You can go in any direction outside of the 7.2 and see that it is blatantly obvious. Anybody that does not see that is blind!!

You can like Duggan, but don't sugarcoat it as if it is because he has done so much! He has not done more than was expected. Hence the reason I say Detroit was low hanging fruit. If I had a 2 BILLION dollar budget and millions in nonprofit and foundation investments dollars. . .there is no way at least the people would not be cared for. We understand the capital need for physical development, but let's just start with caring for the people. ie. no foreclosures, not cutting off water, and access to healthy food and educational alternatives. C'mon. This is not that hard people!!

This is clearly a land grab! Mark my words. 10 years, watch and see what happens.

Let's see who will inhabit this new "Neighborhood"!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Quite a contrast between motorcitymadame's account of today's press conference in Fitzgerald and the one published in the Michigan Chronicle.

Detroit’s Fitzgerald neighborhood looking at a much brighter future
    https://michronicleonline.com/2017/0...ighter-future/

The facts they present are different too. The article says the plans are to complete the 2-acre park by the end of this year, the bikeway by next spring, and that all 115 of the vacant homes they're renovating must be completed and occupied in 2 years.

Maurice Cox is quoted offering words about how to tackle Detroit's daunting challenges: "You start one neighborhood at a time."
    You have clearly never been to that neighborhood? They need more than some bike lanes and a park!

And also, I stated clearly, this is their "model"/ template/ pilot if you will. "If" this works, using term loosely because I already know who will be investing in this new neighborhood" they will use it in the rest of the City.

So, let's just do the math. 2 years [[which that does not include commercial corridors) for each neighborhood x on the low end 90 neighborhoods that need to be revitalized = how many years that the people will continue to suffer and wait? [[hint: they will be dead)
    Last edited by motorcitymadame; April-06-17 at 10:51 AM.

You bemoan alot of valid problems, what are your solutions?

"Getting rid of Duggan for not waving is magic wand" is not an answer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast