Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What do we think of the 2017 Mayoral Candidates?

We know that Duggan is a scandal away from being exposed as an opportunist and has no real interest in taking care of the people of Detroit * see current federal demolition investigations* and Coleman A . Young II [[fka Joel Loving who changed his name conveniently) is running on his Dad's legacy and is not taken seriously in most political circles.

So who's next??

This is a list of the candidates that have filed so far? What do we think of them?

Myya Jones?
    Ingrid LaFleur?
    Ken Snapp?
    Jeffery Robinson?
    Last edited by motorcitymadame; April-04-17 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcitymadame View Post
    I don't know who she is but I love her name. It's like it's right out of an Agatha Christie novel or something...

Anyway, Duggan will most likely win. Money, the unions, and the black church all still matter [[he was just endorsed by 100 faith leaders, predominately black pastors).

I think Duggan will probably get reelected and that he's mostly doing a good job. I'm not familiar with these other candidates listed. Interested to hear what people say about them.

I have no idea who the folks running are - glad not to see little Coleman or Sam Riddle on the list. I feel Duggan has done a good job, I will vote for him. We've got street lights, garbage and bulk pickup on schedule and soon will have our streets cleaned again. Crime is an issue, but watching the news anymore, I think Macomb runs a good second, so can't blame that on Duggan.

Kwame may be in jail but his spirit of corruption is alive and well in Detroit's governance.

I wish there were a viable mayoral opponent as I would be his/her largest financial supporter.

I like the name Ingrid LaFleur too.

I like the concept of an artist running for Mayor. These corrupt politicians are a joke. Why not let another class of Citizen run the City for a change that actually cares about the people?

I like the concept of an artist running for Mayor. These corrupt politicians are a joke. Why not let another class of Citizen run the City for a change that actually cares about the people?
    Yes, I was reading her about page and seems genuinely interesting and caring about her city. However, that doesn't mean she's qualified. I love the arts, but I'm not pinning to be the DIA director. And any "corruption" in the Duggan administration is palpable to the actual corruption that took place under Kilpatrick.

Duggan all the way. The change is real in Detroit, city is functioning again. No brainer

Dugan for re-election; totally a no-brained considering his resume, track-record, accomplishments etc. which are many especially when compared to the people that are running as well. None of these people appear remotely qualified to run a billion $$ ++ organization......it doesn't appear many of those other candidates even even have a college degree, let alone executive level management experience nor any executive level skill sets. I'm all for younger people getting involved; but geesh start at the precinct delegate level, then move to community group involvement, state rep etc not jumping right into a mayoral run.....seriously!!

Maybe we can talk Martha Reeves into running for Mayor? She once advocated to put statues of Motown artists on street corners. That's kinda artsy.

Bishop: "Track record?" "Accomplishments?"

The Jones Day law firm was correct when it responded to his threat to sue the firm in connection with it's representation of the City during the bankruptcy. They weren't slightly intimidated and called him out for what he is. A hack. Incompetent. Strong but accurate words. Everyone ought to copy Jones Day's letter [[printed in the Freep) responding to Duggan's hollow threat and hang it where it won't be forgotten.

First he was Deputy County Exec under McNamara, and therefore crooked by definition in my opinion. Let's wait for the Feds to drop the hammer and see what they have to say. Usually where there's smoke there's fire.

Talk with senior, career prosecutors who were there when he was the Wayne County Prosecutor. I'm told he was viewed as an empty suit. My opinion.

Look at his tenure as director of the Detroit Medical Center. It's true he made some cosmetic changes and improvements, turned around and sold it. The buyer sold it within a year for $100,000,000 more than they paid for it as I recall. He's the last guy I'd want managing my money. He left a nice pot of money on the table on that deal.

We should be praying for a viable opponent. Even Dennis Archer would be an improvement, not much of one, but a little better at least.

Why do people give Duggan so much credit? He started his tenure with no debt and $2 Billion budget. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where the issues are, and hire someone to improve them. Police response, street lights, trash removal, and green spotlights at dangerous gas stations don't seem that major. In other Cities it is a given, but this is Detroit, and our expectations are soooo low. It's sad!

How about we talk about water shutoffs, tax foreclosure, high crime rate, and overwhelming blights [[which he has no immediate plans to address according to our current Director of Urban Planning).

It is so blatantly clear by the way that the vast majority of citizens of Detroit are still neglected and suffering that he has no interest in people, and this seems like just a stepping stone to his higher political aspirations.

He lived in Livonia. Detroit was a low hanging fruit. Move here and run for Mayor? Do the bare minimum to give an illusion of being a "fixer", knowing that all of the things he has claimed were already in progress and had funds and plans allocated to them, ie street lights.

He seems like a classic opportunist, and the fact that he worked for McNamara and has been part of the same corrupt system of governance should be evidence enough. But, clearly folks like to be exploited. smdh.

knock off Coleman Young is running fyi

I'm not shy to criticize Duggan or any other politician [[see my previous screeds against some of the decisions of the DDA and the DEGC). And yes, Duggan is benefiting from some socio-economic factors that have nothing to do with his decisions as mayor [[a renewed interest in urbanity, a recognition among many that the pendulum swing away from the city was due for a return, Gilbert...), but thus far it seems to me he's done better for the city than anyone else has in decades. [[I'll give Archer credit for trying, but let's face it: he mostly failed.)

You call Duggan an opportunist. Mortorcitymadame you come across as an operative for one of the candidates who opposes him. Not yet sure which one. But I'll be reading your posts with a heavy block of salt from now on.

I'm not saying Detroit can't do better, but you definitely have not yet proven your point about Duggan. Neither have you made a case yet for anyone competing against him. Welcome to the forum.

Totally unrelated and irrelevant but when I read LeFleur it brings back LeFlore memories.
    Last edited by bust; April-04-17 at 05:06 PM.

Why do people give Duggan so much credit? He started his tenure with no debt and $2 Billion budget. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where the issues are, and hire someone to improve them. Police response, street lights, trash removal, and green spotlights at dangerous gas stations don't seem that major. In other Cities it is a given, but this is Detroit, and our expectations are soooo low. It's sad!

How about we talk about water shutoffs, tax foreclosure, high crime rate, and overwhelming blights [[which he has no immediate plans to address according to our current Director of Urban Planning).

It is so blatantly clear by the way that the vast majority of citizens of Detroit are still neglected and suffering that he has no interest in people, and this seems like just a stepping stone to his higher political aspirations.

He lived in Livonia. Detroit was a low hanging fruit. Move here and run for Mayor? Do the bare minimum to give an illusion of being a "fixer", knowing that all of the things he has claimed were already in progress and had funds and plans allocated to them, ie street lights.

He seems like a classic opportunist, and the fact that he worked for McNamara and has been part of the same corrupt system of governance should be evidence enough. But, clearly folks like to be exploited. smdh.
    No, he did not start with "no debt" he started when the city was in bankruptcy proceedings [[thanks to the previous mayors and city councils).

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    Bishop: "Track record?" "Accomplishments?"

The Jones Day law firm was correct when it responded to his threat to sue the firm in connection with it's representation of the City during the bankruptcy. They weren't slightly intimidated and called him out for what he is. A hack. Incompetent. Strong but accurate words. Everyone ought to copy Jones Day's letter [[printed in the Freep) responding to Duggan's hollow threat and hang it where it won't be forgotten.

First he was Deputy County Exec under McNamara, and therefore crooked by definition in my opinion. Let's wait for the Feds to drop the hammer and see what they have to say. Usually where there's smoke there's fire.

Talk with senior, career prosecutors who were there when he was the Wayne County Prosecutor. I'm told he was viewed as an empty suit. My opinion.

Look at his tenure as director of the Detroit Medical Center. It's true he made some cosmetic changes and improvements, turned around and sold it. The buyer sold it within a year for $100,000,000 more than they paid for it as I recall. He's the last guy I'd want managing my money. He left a nice pot of money on the table on that deal.

We should be praying for a viable opponent. Even Dennis Archer would be an improvement, not much of one, but a little better at least.
    . Not really surprising that Jones Day acts like a venom spewing bully, given their ties to Trump. http://abovethelaw.com/2017/01/jones...dministration/

Lol. Sorry, but I find it hysterical that anyone would believe that 'Mayor of Detroit' is a "stepping stone to his higher political aspirations". Might want to go back to the drawing board on that one.

To those who say they want a mayor with no experience...

Do you also want a surgeon with no experience when you go under the knife for your operation?

Do you also want a financial planner with no experience managing your retirement accounts?

Do you also want an airline pilot with no flying experience landing your next flight into DTW?

If yes to above, then I can see why you would think someone with no experience in politics or running a major organization would be great to serve as the mayor of the state's largest city.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I'm not shy to criticize Duggan or any other politician [[see my previous screeds against some of the decisions of the DDA and the DEGC). And yes, Duggan is benefiting from some socio-economic factors that have nothing to do with his decisions as mayor [[a renewed interest in urbanity, a recognition among many that the pendulum swing away from the city was due for a return, Gilbert...), but thus far it seems to me he's done better for the city than anyone else has in decades. [[I'll give Archer credit for trying, but let's face it: he mostly failed.)

You call Duggan an opportunist. Mortorcitymadame you come across as an operative for one of the candidates who opposes him. Not yet sure which one. But I'll be reading your posts with a heavy block of salt from now on.

I'm not saying Detroit can't do better, but you definitely have not yet proven your point about Duggan. Neither have you made a case yet for anyone competing against him. Welcome to the forum.

Totally unrelated and irrelevant but when I read LeFleur it brings back LeFlore memories.
    As a Native Detroiter, I just know the City deserves better and can do better! I do not see Duggan, a white man from the suburbs, who was not even a resident until 3 years ago, that changed his residency just to run for Mayor of a City he nor his family live in, as being someone that knows and has a passion for the revitalization of the entire City. We are not all so naive as to jump on the bandwagon just because he got a few street lights. It doesn't take a genius to find a vendor and allocate funding for things that need improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    To those who say they want a mayor with no experience...

Do you also want a surgeon with no experience when you go under the knife for your operation?

Do you also want a financial planner with no experience managing your retirement accounts?

Do you also want an airline pilot with no flying experience landing your next flight into DTW?

If yes to above, then I can see why you would think someone with no experience in politics or running a major organization would be great to serve as the mayor of the state's largest city.
    You do realize there have been thousands and thousands of politicians from Mayors to Governors [[see Arnold Schwarzenegger) to Presidents [[see Donald Trump) whom have no political experience.

DetroiterOnTheWestCoast: West Coast? The People's Republic of California by any chance?

Jones Day is hardly a "venom spewing bully."

The nitwit mayor's lawyer threatened JD with a specious law suit related to its representation of Detroit in its bankruptcy. [[Had JD not represented Detroit and given the creditors a greater screwing than had the City been represented by other lesser counsel, the creditors would own most of the art in the DIA.)

Now, it takes lots of balls for a pissant city like Detroit to threaten the largest law firm in the country, a firm with offices all over the world, and one that represents most major corporations at one time or another [[it represented GM in its bankruptcy) and many governments, a law firm that just saved its ass.

Rather than spouting venom, JD just recited the facts, called out Duggan for what he is, and dared the City to follow through on its threat, after which JD would have ripped it a new figurative asshole, and collected enough damages to hasten Detroit's next bankruptcy.

Poking the bear is one thing when you have some ammo in your musket, but doing it standing there naked often leads to a lot of unpleasantness. You can't cure stupid.

" a white man from the suburbs".....identity politics strikes again!!!

As far as I recall, CYII [[formerly Joel Loving) wasn't even born in Detroit, nor Michigan for that matter. No college degree, no discernible job nor executive leadership experience, worked at either subway or Burger King and got fired from there before changing his name and runnning/winning a state rep position strictly on his father's name not on anything measurable nor identifiable that showed "any passion for the revitalization" of that city!

CYII, entire position is "vote for me because I'm black, I'm young" etc......wow seriously!

Duggan in a landslide.

He is the beneficiary of a confluence of positive events. A steadily improving economy, big auto sales, Dan Gilbert appearing out of thin air and injecting billions in downtown, street lights up, bankruptcy in the rear view mirror [thank you Jones Day], city services improved, the DIA collection saved, Belle Isle off the books and improved, new projects announced weekly, cranes a common sight....

Does he deserve it? Doesn't matter. In politics if it happens on your watch you get it -- good or bad.

Oh, and Dave Bing didn't live in Detroit either.

...These corrupt politicians are a joke. Why not let another class of Citizen run the City for a change that actually cares about the people?
    Isn't that how we got Trump? No thanks!
    I'd rather have someone, even a less corrupt politician, with some the actual experience other posters have listed here.

As a Native Detroiter, I just know the City deserves better and can do better! I do not see Duggan, a white man from the suburbs, who was not even a resident until 3 years ago, that changed his residency just to run for Mayor of a City he nor his family live in, as being someone that knows and has a passion for the revitalization of the entire City. We are not all so naive as to jump on the bandwagon just because he got a few street lights. It doesn't take a genius to find a vendor and allocate funding for things that need improving.
    The street lighting came in ahead of schedule and under budget. Anyone can know what problem but a you have to get right people to do it.

You say he's not passionate about helping the entire city. You have things like the 20 minute neighborhoods initiative, Motor City Match that are already paying dividends in neighborhoods outside of downtown like Fitzgerald. Parts of the city that haven't seen investment in a long time are starting to see them that he's only lived in city for three seems irrelevant

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast