Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Great DetroitYES Outage

Welcome back DetroitYES members and audience.

We have recovered from our longest outage in over ten years. It began sporadically Sunday morning and went full down in the afternoon.

There is a chance that some posts made just prior to the crash have been lost. So if your post is missing please make it again.

These things just happen some time and it was our turn these past two days.

Carry on!

For us tech nerds:

The server hosting DetroitYES and SoulfulDetroit failed due to a rare hardware issue. This necessitated provisioning a new server and retrieving in data from the offsite backup. Differences in the new hardware required further tweaking.

Fortunately we have used RackAid, an outstanding small independent server management company for over ten years. They have been on top of this crisis from the first outages to the end, keeping us informed hourly of the challenges and progress.

I thought it was me

^^ Yeah, I had to do some checking to find out it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Welcome back DetroitYES members and audience....
    A few minutes after it came back up, I checked Who Is Online and found only six members but three pages of guests already.

It's always amazing how many guests this site supports. I'm just guessing they find it through search engines. Looking at which threads they're reading is a great way to get a random cross section of the whole forum going deep into time instead of just the current topics.

Try it when you're bored sometime.

Stuff happens. I did think maybe my old computer was dying, but then realized every other favorite link was coming up just fine. I gotta upgrade some day anyway, Windows Vista just ain't worth a shoot any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I thought it was me
    DownForEveryoneOrJustMe.com is worth bookmarking for these occasions.

Those damn Russians, Trump sucks! [[Ok, carry on...)

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Those damn Russians, Trump sucks! [[Ok, carry on...)
    Man those Russians are good. They're everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Stuff happens. I did think maybe my old computer was dying, but then realized every other favorite link was coming up just fine. I gotta upgrade some day anyway, Windows Vista just ain't worth a shoot any more.
    When Windows 10 first came out, I believe you could have upgraded for free, Ray. Just a thought.

There have been an increase in outages on other sites as well...Honky may be correct

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    When Windows 10 first came out, I believe you could have upgraded for free, Ray. Just a thought.
    Do NOT try to upgrade an old computer to Windows10!

Lowell, do I understand that you are not cloud-hosted? Rare these days. Bravo to you.

Agreed. I have an older Mac and take care in updates. You have to know what you computer can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post

I kinda figured when both Detroit Yes AND Detroit Funk were unobtainable, there was a problem with the hosting site. I didn't look at SDF, but it would be logical that it would go down too.

This work computer is all buggy and slow lately so I barely noticed
    the issue with Detroit Yes, not to mention I can't see really well
    having just had cataract surgery out of pocket with ratepayer dollars.
    Should all be back to normal or better next month.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    totally agree! not too long ago, turned on my old dell laptop [[lasted me 6 years) and it was automatically updating to windows 10. it finally fried shortly thereafter. I was a hold out on the MacBooks because I didn't want to spend the money. was able to get a great deal on a MacBook Air recently at best buy. within a month of purchasing it, noticed on the Best Buy website that it was a "deal of the day" and got another $150.00 credit.

Unsolicited tech advice: You can still buy Windows 7. It's far less annoying than Vista and designed for a desktop, not the tablet you probably don't have. It's also still currently supported by Microsoft so you can get updates. Hopefully by the time that runs out Microsoft will release a decent OS again. Then again, there have been so few...

And yeah, Macs have their own problems. Planned obsolescence chief among them. But at least the prices have come down. Their laptops offer some advantages. At least you're not constantly frustrated by the OS.
    Last edited by bust; April-05-17 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks for all your hard work in keeping this great site up!