Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 89X Closes American Offices

Well, there goes that...

It seems all the American DJs were also let go.

"Windsor-based alternative rock station 89X [[CIMX-FM) has closed its American office and is cutting several members of its on-air staff, effective immediately.

The cuts were part of a larger restructuring at Bell Media, which runs 89X, 93.9 the River [[CIDR-FM), Memories 580 [[CKWW-AM), and AM 800 [[CKLW-AM). The four stations will retain their current formats and their signals will continue to carry into the Detroit market, according to Bell Media news director Matthew Garrow.

“Cal and Co.,” 89X’s morning show, aired its last broadcast on Thursday morning. Host Cal Cagno tweeted Thursday afternoon, “I no longer work at 89X. After 18 years..it’s over. I hope to be back on the air soon but if not...thanks to the listeners for a great run.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ent...hers/99835170/

I think radio is in serious trouble with streaming music apps and podcasts growing in popularity.

Though I've never heard them, I'm sure “Cal and Co.” is exactly the type of programming that made me turn the radio off so many years ago and switch to recorded music only. No motormouths, MY choice of music and no commercials.

I agree, radio is in serious trouble. Some of it self inflicted. Who listens to the same 300 songs over and over again? Very few stations have any true variety, creativity or host control. I mean who listens to Dave and Chuck the Freak? [[used to be on 89X, now on WRIF) Its all middle school humor - fart jokes, kinky sex, bodily functions. I cringe thinking adults listen to this shit and then go out and vote.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Who listens to the same 300 songs over and over again?
    That was Dr. Johnny Fever's pitch on WKRP. He always wanted to play HIS choices of music and it always got him in trouble.

Yeah, I know that was TV about radio, but that would be my gig ... MY choices, not the bot programming of CloudedChannel.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Who listens to the same 300 songs over and over again?
    300 songs? How about 30? That seems to be the format for "classic rock".Play the same effin Led Zeppelin, Foreigner, and Journey songs over and over.

While agree they have competition from streaming music the radio station has just plain gotten boring ! I started listening to the station right from the start when they were only on half a day playing truly great original alternative music.
    Now when I listen all the songs pretty much all sound alike and blend together I would have to say its not alternative its more like water downed rock and pop music

there needs to be more HD radio channels, with different formats. Even most car radios are not equipped with HD receivers.
    More locally-based programming is needed. 'national' playlists need not be driving programming.
    Local music artists need more of a platform to get terrestrial radio play.

Looks like they dropped the Sunday morning Time Warp show, which is about the only time I listened to them lately. So bubbye.