Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Oakland County Is Coyote Country!

So screams the headline of Oakland County's official blog of March 10, an info posting that was a good read. Coyote sitings are increasingly common in SE Michigan. Although I have not seen any, I have seen tracks, dens and their distinctive squat several times. The must be wily coyotes. Does anyone have coyote sitings or stories?

Oakland County is Coyote Country. Coyotes are learning and adapting to our ways far faster than we even try to learn their ways, however living together in peace is practical and possible. There is no reason to be frightened by a simple sighting of a coyote. Unfortunately, print and television media sometimes respond to increasingly common sightings with sensational fear-inducing news stories using phrases such as “The coyote was seen lurking in the woods.” Coyotes do not “lurk” in the woods any more than a deer or squirrel “lurks” in the woods. For the past few weeks sightings have increased in Oakland County as they do this time of the year. It’s usually only a fleeting glimpse, or an image captured by a motion-activated camera trap.

I lived in Pontiac in the late 90s/early 00s and can recall occasionally seeing coyotes around Opdyke and South Blvd, as well as a little further south in the area of Opdyke and Kensington Rd by the tracks. I also have heard of reports of them around Oakland University, but never saw any in that area myself.

When I was younger my family had a Weimaraner that was attacked and almost had to have her ear amputated due to damage from a coyote. The neighbor saw the coyote attack the dog, but she couldn't scare it off. Weimaraners have rather thin fur, so they can get torn up rather easily. That wasn't the only time she had to get stitched back up due to a run in with a coyote, but it was definitely the worst. You have to keep a close watch on small to medium sized dogs if there are coyotes around [[Even if they are leashed fenced in). Coyotes are quite skilled at luring them away, and to someone not accustomed to the behavior it may look like they're just playing. They're not.

I don't actively hunt them much anymore, but I still shoot one or two just about every year in my yard [[In Milford). Normally in the early Summer when the Mulberries are on the trees. Coyotes love Mulberries, and it's just about the only time they'll stand still out in the open for any period of time.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; March-28-17 at 09:55 PM.

I've seen coyotes twice in daylight around Birmingham, and small dogs have been killed in my neighborhood. They're definitely around in suburbia, often hiding in golf course underbrush and the like.

Heck, coyotes have been spotted in Manhattan. They've made it to Central Park. There's a series of wooded parkland from the Hudson Valley down into Manhattan, and they take this route, even crossing urban bridges.
    Last edited by Bham1982; March-29-17 at 06:43 AM.

Was walking my pups at the nature center at 13 mile and Dequinder a few years ago, as I was walking this coyote started coming towards me and my pups as I arrived at the parking lot, I saw a Oakland County sheriff deputy, and told them a coyote was following me, he kind of laughe,d at that minute here came the coyote, into the parking lot and ran off towards the golf course

We get reports of them at least a few times a year in our densely populated [[for Rochester Hills) neighborhood bounded by Auburn, John R, Hamlin, and Rochester Roads.

It's not unusual to see coyote roadkill on I-94, especially around the airport. They are also prevalent in Washtenaw County.

I lived in Brush Park [[Crosswinds) between 2006-2009. I saw coyotes down there 3 different times. Nobody ever believed me when I would tell them, though.

I've seen them in southern wayne county and northern monroe county.

I moved from Saint Clair Shores to Ray Township about 9 months ago I have two living in my backyard [[My yard goes back a full 1/2 mile) I see the scat and droppings but I have only seen them on my trail cams at night

There is a family of them living in my neighborhood around the Ford Engineering complex-Oakwood [[now Beaumont) Hospital area. There is a large wooded area in the neighborhood where they have their den. They roam the neighborhood for food.

I also used to see them on the property of the Eloise complex when I worked there years ago. They seemed to keep close to the wooded area by the river over there, but would emerge from time to time.

Saw a video of one jogging out on the ice of Lake St. Clair, parallel to Jefferson, about fifty yards out a couple years ago.

Saw a coyote today where Hayes meets Utica road walking about 20 ft from the road

Wild turkeys are taking over Harrison Township. I've seen Facebook videos of them near Selfridge but a friend had them in his yard closer to Jefferson and Crocker area. They were in a group of at least six and they are huge.