Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default RIP "Mr. Belvedere"

I remember this guy's commercials so well. Condolences to his family. RIP 8-7100.

I remember old Detroit TV commercials better than most of the shows they aired on!

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...dies/99687482/

Suggestion for his tombstone.

"I did good work"

Kudos to him, if for nothing else, for creating possibly the most strongly imprinted slogan in Detroit ad history. I'll bet any Detroiter over 35 can finish the sentence "We do good _____" And who remember the phone number?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

"I did good work"

Kudos to him, if for nothing else, for creating possibly the most strongly imprinted slogan in Detroit ad history. I'll bet any Detroiter over 35 can finish the sentence "We do good _____" And who remember the phone number?
    I agree with investing in that tombstone. You'll look at it, you'll love it, you'll take your time paying for it.

"I did good work"

I had a couple of occasions to represent his company in the WCCC when they were insured with CNA. A couple of their repairs were on the sour side which led to the litigation. I met him on one occasion, and Mr. Belvedere did not want to settle either of the suits but chose to fix the problems to the satisfaction of the customer.

Just as long as the tombstone is eventually remodeled, and covered with "canyon stone".

Maybe a nice aluminum awning on one side of it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    Just as long as the tombstone is eventually remodeled, and covered with "canyon stone".

Maybe a nice aluminum awning on one side of it, too.
    Too funny! Canyon stone was definitely a Belvedere icon. I'm still trying to find a picture I have of his W. Grand Blvd office. In the meantime...
    Name:  Mr-Belvedere.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  25.8 KB

Too funny! Canyon stone was definitely a Belvedere icon. I'm still trying to find a picture I have of his W. Grand Blvd office. In the meantime...

Attachment 33030
    Dead link, Lowell

TY8-7100?

[[Strictly from memory)

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    TY8-7100?

[[Strictly from memory)
    This makes me want to start a "famous phone numbers of Detroit ads" thread. You are right: TYler 8-7100. Here's another one: Charles Kent Reaver and his "just dial diamond: D-I-A [[pause) -M-O-N-Deeeeeee".

I remember him as having an incredibly deadpan style of delivery in his commercials.

He must have agreed, judging by this video called Vintage Detroit: Mr. Belvedere Commercial with Robot in which it's suggested that he's related to the robot.

At the end the robot says "It just runs in the family."
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-30-17 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    This makes me want to start a "famous phone numbers of Detroit ads" thread. You are right: TYler 8-7100. Here's another one: Charles Kent Reaver and his "just dial diamond: D-I-A [[pause) -M-O-N-Deeeeeee".
    The last 30 years:

1-800 Call Sam

1-800 Lee Free

855 Mike Wins

Fieger Law Fights and Wins for You 1-800-A-Winner

Of course the city went bankrupt and only half the residents can afford insurance anymore but we still have a handful of phone numbers everyone will never forget!

Wasn't this guy on Rita Bell quite a bit? Like a LOT?

Or am I thinking of somebody else?

I remember another ad for some TV repair place, they usually had them on Bill Kennedy, and they'd say their phone number twice, once in English, and again in Polish. Something like: dwa pienc siedem - osiem osiem zero zero. And that's how I started to learn to count in Polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Dead link, Lowell
    Fixed and once more for feeling…

Name:  Mr-Belvedere.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  25.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    "dwa pienc siedem - osiem osiem zero zero"
    257-8800, That was Pennway TV Service.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    257-8800, That was Pennway TV Service.
    Thanks!

I was hoping to wake up in the middle of the night remembering that, but only came up with penn-something.

Who didn't love Mr. Belvedere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf4lBSjcpck
    Gotta love that sweet porches song! Sounds like a Michigan summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxnzaJaaaC8
    Mr. Belvedere on architectural history and your Detroit home.

RIP Maurice "Mr. Belvedere" Lezell.

I love that second commercial, EastsideAl. The Colleseum!.....the Taj Mahal!.....a bungalow in Allen Park!
    He was a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    IMr. Belvedere did not want to settle either of the suits but chose to fix the problems to the satisfaction of the customer.
    That's because "if you're not completely satisfied, HEADS WILL ROLL". One of my favorite quotes of his!