Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum

This place was mentioned on a thread here last year and I've been wanting to take our grandson for a look-see ever since.

We went the other day and it was great! Hubby and grandson had fun playing the games, and I walked around looking at all the terrific stuff there. Oh, I did put two quarters in Mr. Brain for him to give me a card with my fortune! [[I've always been a sucker for those fortune telling thingies ) The day was a lot of fun and the place is not all that far from home. The grandson loved it and if grandma would have had a never ending supply of quarters, we would probably still be there.

So for some local fun - check it out.

http://www.marvin3m.com/

You'll leave smiling we did!

I forgot about that place. I live in Chicago and my kids will be with my folks in WB all next week. Bingo!

Great vintage machines, some from Coney Island [[and I ain't talkin' ones with mustard & onions). Marvin also has an amazing collection of old magician advertising posters displayed there.

You see something new every visit. A cool Metro Detroit tradition!

Marvin and his family owned the old Sams Drugs on Fenkell and Freeland for years. The store was always clean and smelled like cotton candy and popcorn. They also had a mini-arcade inside the store during the early 1980's.

Having seen the place on the History Channel and reading about it on here, I need to stop in one day. Haven't been there since the Talley Hall days.

Tally Hall, please.... I was goin to M3 back when I was in grade school.

I always loved that this place was in a freaking non-descript STRIP MALL in Farmington Hills.

I knew Marvin since I was 4 or 5 [[79' or 78') as my grandparents lived a few houses down on S. Harwich in Farmington. His son and I also went to high school together, he is either one or two years older than me. Tally Hall brings back memories of my older sister and her girlfriends dragging me through that place and making me try on costume jewelry when I was like 10! That was before it the place turned into an F&M and then a strip center. In fact now that I think about it when we were in high school my sister worked at the Max & Erma's. It is the Farmington Hills side of 14 mile road.

Fondest memories of my childhood was going to Tally Hall to buy Garbage Pail Kid cards. I remember there was some really good Lebanese food as well.

A couple kids from Andover H.S. a couple years back made a band called Tally Hall, I believe they've been quite successful the past couple of years, I think I caught them on Jimmy Kimmel a year ago.

jesus I'm getting old. My childhood memories all involve having to chop holes in the ice to fetch water for ma. Garbage Pail Kids: anyone from Riverview.

"Fondest memories of my childhood was going to Tally Hall to buy Garbage Pail Kid cards. I remember there was some really good Lebanese food as well."

I used to buy those there as well. My favorite thing there was the the place where you bought the killer french fries. They cam in a brown cup with french fries on them. Anyone remember those being great or am I just remembering them that way because I was young?

Quote Originally Posted by Grundyke View Post
    I used to buy those there as well. My favorite thing there was the the place where you bought the killer french fries. They cam in a brown cup with french fries on them. Anyone remember those being great or am I just remembering them that way because I was young?
    Super Spud is the name. Yes, I know I'm responding to an antiquated thread, but Tally Hall was the Shizznit! Marvin's was next to the San-Rio store, and it started with the vibrtated/shaking coin-op kiddie rides [[helicoper, train, etc.), started to get a lovetester or two, some vintage pinball or baseball-like items, and before long, the entire center of Tally Hall was Marvin-land.
    Also, I worked for a Herman Ugoda at McVee's in Southfield as a busboy in the '90s [[ran into a Cass Corridor "working girl" who had a Chicago boss whose been trying to edge in on my identity). When I walked into the M4, I saw a sign above the Simpsons game that had a word balloon coming out of Bart's mouth thanking Marvin Ugoda. Sure enough, when I asked, he confirmed he was related. Blantz.

Marvin's is so much fun for kids this thread should be bumped a couple of times every winter.

They have an amazing collection of non-game stuff, too. A complete set of anamatronic figures from Showbiz Pizza, anyone?

http://www.showbizpizza.com/photos/m...ins/index.html

On a related note, the Rock-A-Fire Explosion documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yNitSBXzsA

This place is awesome. Used to go there a lot in the late 90's when we were in high school.

My wife and I were out on the side of town a few years ago, had to stop in for old time's sake.

Someone online said they first played a video game at M4 when it was in Tally Hall. He did not start bringing in video games until after Tally hall closed up.

Marvin was just a really nice person who was engaging with the customers in a super friendly way and always had a big smile and a quarter for you to play one of his favorite machines. He always had time for everyone, especially the children.

He will be deeply missed, indisputably one of the rare best people you will meet in life.

It's a relief that his museum will remain open as a monument to the man and his passion under the care of his children.

My deepest sympathies to his family for his loss and a thanks for sharing him with all of us when he was with us.

Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum in Farmington Hills used to be F&M drug store, before that, it used to be Tally Hall international restaurant.

People leave their mark in various ways. Marvin leaves behind fond memories and smiles. He accomplished something good. Condolences.

kudos, rest in peace Mr. Marvin: Very cool unique place, deserves to be kept around!

Marvin's Museum, a Farmington Hills mainstay, fighting plan to replace it with a Meijer

Marvin’s Marvelous Mechanical Museum — a suburban Detroit attraction that has delighted vintage arcade lovers for years — may be facing the wrecking ball to make way for a new Meijer, according to city plans, the museum owner and news reports....

The issue is on the Farmington Hills Planning Commission agenda for 7:30 p.m. Thursday....

An online petition, Save Marvin’s Marvelous Mechanical Museum, on Change.org points out: "Now is the time to act before we lose this eighth wonder of the world." As of early Thursday, had about 18,000 signatures.....

It would be a sad day if we lost Marvin's because they wanted to build a Meijers. There are lots of Meijers, there's only one Marvin's.

One could hope it could find another home, but I imagine moving that stuff would be both expensive and fraught with peril.

Marvelous Marvin's is cultural and historical jewel. The online petition, as the below screen snap shows, is gaining big numbers. I just added mine to it. Add your support here >
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Last edited by Jimaz; November-16-23 at 09:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast