Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Oakland Raiders moving to Las Vegas

Lot of smiles on the Las Vegas Strip and elsewhere in southern Nevada today. The NFL voted 31-1 [[Miami was the "no") to move the Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas. This follows the awarding of an NHL franchise to Vegas with the team starting this fall.

No, I'll still be pulling hard for the Lions and the Red Wings. You can take the man out of Detroit, but you can't........well, you know how it goes.

-- Ray1936 from Henderson, NV

Couple of post-scripts: Raiders will stay in Oakland until 2019 while a new stadium is being built in Las Vegas. For those of you familiar with Vegas, it will be at the se corner of I-15 and Russell road.

Also -- and this just crossed my mind -- since California has a brutal state income tax [[even steeper than Michigan) and Nevada has none, the players and other employees will in effect be getting a 7% and better pay raise. Same to all the other NFL teams who play the Raiders then -- they won't have to pay any CA income tax either.

Las Vegas Raiders!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Las Vegas Raiders!
    Yup. And the new NHL team will be the Vegas Golden Knights. Doesn't flow as well as "Detroit Red Wings", but I guess it'll do.

Wonder if the new stadium will be built using taxpayer backed bonds like they do here in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Wonder if the new stadium will be built using taxpayer backed bonds like they do here in Detroit.

Congratulations to LV, Ray!

We are also edging toward getting a new baseball club in Montreal. In the news this week, Stephen Bronfman and other investors said they weee waiting for a call from MLB commissioners to pick up an ailing franchise from another city. Mexico City is also in the race for a team. I'm hoping that the stadium part.of the equation doesn't come to strangle us again. The only possible lot big enough to accomodate a new one is at Peel Basin near the Old Port with harbor and skyline views that would be quite a sight.

Montreal deserves a team. It's a shame the Expos couldn't resolve their problems in a more satisfactory way. But that's life, I guess.