Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 50's Detroit Video

Hello everyone. Never posted here before but I check out the site all the time.

I came across this video on YouTube and found it fascinating....I'm sure most of you have seen it but I'm wondering if there is some repository of more old footage like this. With the new '67 documentary coming out soon it got me thinking about what else could be pulled together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Gwvq6zdSw

Thanks for posting this! I came across this for the first time earlier this week and it's quite astonishing! I was really impressed to see footage of the foot of Washington at Michigan where there used to be a street wall of buildings. Now today Washington continues towards Cobo. I believe that southern end even had a different name but it escapes me. So different downtown was back then I wonder if I ever would have recognized it at all...

OMG the Russians were on the front page News apologizing for hacking back then!!!

HaHaHa...

Seriously, thanks for sharing that video.

That Qwikee Donuts sign with the dunking donut is so cool! I've never seen that before

Its really striking the loss of commercial space that video confirms.

The portion of Washington Blvd. south of Michigan was called Wayne until 1960.

The newspapers, the banners on the sides of the streets, and the brief shots of a parade show this film to be from 1951, the year that the 250th anniversary of Detroit's founding was celebrated.

My mom took me to Hudsons for Christmas in 1962? [[MAYBE) and one of my very vauge memories is of the dunking dounut. And also the amount of brass inside Hudsons.

/good one,Gman
    Last edited by RaumVogel; March-25-17 at 02:58 PM.

Those clips were the Detroit I knew. It saddens me so to see it today.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    That Qwikee Donuts sign with the dunking donut is so cool! I've never seen that before
    I think "Qwikee"
    has a different connotation now then it had back in the 50' as I viewed those old donut shops that I remember so well!
    And what also caught the eye of this old boat buff is the very introductory shots taken from the Windsor waterfront showing a T. J. McCarthy boat in the far background that carried automobiles to Cleveland.

I was amazed at the amount of pollution in the air. We don't seem to have as much. I can't say if it's from the loss of industry, better regulations, or both.

I still miss the exact taste and texture of the Qwikee yellow-cake plain donut. Back when I was in high school I used to get one or two of 'em most days when I had a little money, along with a cup of coffee with extra cream to go, for the long stand in the cold wind-swept dankness of the Capitol Park bus station waiting on the Vernor bus.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I was amazed at the amount of pollution in the air. We don't seem to have as much. I can't say if it's from the loss of industry, better regulations, or both.
    It will soon be back.