Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default 2017 Detroit Lions

The big question going into the draft is will the running game significantly improve with the addition of Rick Wagner and T.J. Lang on the O line and can Abdullah, Riddick and Zenner handle the work or does Quinn think he needs to draft a RB high? Draft defense before a back is my thought.

I would pass on a cap eating free agent QB. There is already enough money invested in that position and that's even before a new contract is offered to Stafford.

Seven rounds of the draft. Include the best of two DL, two LB, and three DB.

Lions are 25 : 1 in Vegas to win the NFC.

They are my surprise 2017 NFL team.

Should be 25-1 to win the NFC North....considering they haven't accomplished that in a 4 team division for 23 years.

"Just one before I die."

Here-to-fore, I thought that snarky bumper-snicker line was a joke.

Another year and the best part of the season is the off-season. Another year and we will hear that the reason the Lions play on Sunday is because the defense is holey. Another year and there will be a run on paper bag masks come November.

Draft a quarterback in the first round and sit his ass down for three years. Seriously. There is no use pretending we can get out of the first round with Stafford at the wheel.

Just draft for the future.

The future starts today.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Lions are 25 : 1 in Vegas to win the NFC.

They are my surprise 2017 NFL team.
    Im one of the biggest Lions fans you'll ever see, I bleed blue and silver. However, I have also learned that you cannot get over optimistic or even somewhat optimistic about this team. It always, and I mean ALWAYS leads to disappointment. There's a huge difference between a fan who supports his team and a slappy. Personally, I'm done being a slappy.

Quin seems to know what he's doing. I can't say the last time I thought that about a Lions GM this far into his tenure. Probably not in my life.

Addressing the offensive line makes the running game and passing game better. At least in theory, but it usually holds up pretty well. If Stafford has more time, his receivers can break routes, something you never saw happen last season but is pretty common with teams that have a good offensive line. Plus, Wagner is strong in run blocking so he should help open up some lanes for the backs, again something you didn't see happen at all last year.

I don't think they need to draft a RB high. Many teams have shown that they can plug in RBs and have success. But that only works when you have the right surrounding cast to allow the running game to work. They have a good QB. They have good WRs. Now they have a good offensive line. This formula has worked very well for the Patriots , and Quin seems to have learned quite a bit there.

The draft is deep with players on the d-line which is their biggest need. I could see them hit hard and hit often in the draft just like they did on the offensive line in last years draft. The draft also has good depth in the secondary, so expect Quin to get at least 1-2 players there as well.

If the draft goes as I would expect it to, 2-3 d-lineman, 1-2 secondary, 1 TE, 1 WR, and 1-2 other depth/development players, it would leave LB as their biggest problem spot. That isn't ideal but what team doesn't have holes somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    If the draft goes as I would expect it to, 2-3 d-lineman, 1-2 secondary, 1 TE, 1 WR, and 1-2 other depth/development players, it would leave LB as their biggest problem spot. That isn't ideal but what team doesn't have holes somewhere.
    It is a very, very deep draft for LB. No reson not to find a capable one in the late rounds.

I don't think they need to draft a RB high.
    Well neither do I...and that's sayin' something !

But seriously, I totally agree. I think a situational power back who can block and catch would suit us just fine. I like Zenner, and I think he's the type of player that's going to get better in his second year. Never under-estimate anyone with North Dakota connections. They're all fighters. He's also a salary cap cheat with virgin knees. A 3 man rotation now seems the norm. A little health would go a long way here, and no offense towards him, but I should never have to see Bell wearing a Lion uniform again.

What I like is adding Lang, Wagner and a TE.

I believe the new TE is a very good blocker and could set up next to Wagner to 'chip' the DE.

My guess is that the running game will be much better.

If so, watch the offense. I have always been a huge Stafford fan. Put a good OL together and both the running and passing games improve.

I'm still wondering why not go after Blount? Quinn have reservations? Salary cap issues?

I've always liked Blount. I wanted the Lions to draft him and couldn't believe when he went undrafted.

I've watched his career and I think he's really choosy as to where he plays. He goes where he can be successful. I would have to imagine that over the subsequent years, the Lions have expressed interest, but with their notorious history of a poor running game, I doubt the Lions have ever made his short list.

Please sign Adrian Peterson. At least he comes across as a guy who gives a shit.

I agree with our last two posters. I'd love to have Blount or Peterson.

I'd love to have another TE. No way does O.J. Howard [[think I got the name right) from Alabama fall to the Lions, but here is hoping against hope. Michael Roberts out of Toledo is one big horse.

I'd love to have Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan as a possible 1st rounder.

Draft defense with all the other picks...

I want to see Stafford and the Lions put up a ton of points on the board... We may lose our share of games, but at least it will be fun to watch.

I agree with our last two posters. I'd love to have Blount or Peterson.

I'd love to have another TE. No way does O.J. Howard [[think I got the name right) from Alabama fall to the Lions, but here is hoping against hope. Michael Roberts out of Toledo is one big horse.

I'd love to have Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan as a possible 1st rounder.

Draft defense with all the other picks...

I want to see Stafford and the Lions put up a ton of points on the board... We may lose our share of games, but at least it will be fun to watch.
    Gutsy call there Steve. Nothing like going all in. A first round TE in this town would turn the heat up on Stafford and Quinn not to mention the kid from Bama.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; March-28-17 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Gutsy call there Steve. Nothing like going all in. A first round TE in this town would turn the heat up on Stafford and Quinn not to mention the kid from Bama.
    No doubt. Expectations will be high for the Lions, esp. their offense.

Add A.P. or Blount and maybe another offensive weapon in the first round and the expectations will be sky high [[at least by Lions' standards).

I would like either Fournette [[top 1/3 of first round) or Howard [[top 1/2 of first round), so I'll pivot to a DE, Taco Charlton, who might still be on the board at #21.

Corey Davis [[10 - 21) the Western MI WR is my dark horse.

I love Kareem Hunt, RB, [[Toledo) in the 3rd round.

You think they take a shot at Jabril Peppers, if he's still on the board? Some NFL draft talking-heads seem to think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    You think they take a shot at Jabril Peppers, if he's still on the board? Some NFL draft talking-heads seem to think so.
    Peppers seems to be a luxury pick, and with the Lions still having significant holes in many spots along the defense, I don't think they're the type of team that can afford to make that pick.

I liked Cleveland's moves until they used that traded down pick on Peppers. He's a luxury the Browns didn't need at this point.

Davis is a fine pick for the Lions. Not only did we need a Levy replacement, our defense needs a play caller and leader. Wouldn't be surprised if the Lions take another linebacker in the 4th or 5th round. We need some depth. Pick 2 or 3 will be a defensive lineman. Plenty available in this draft.

It was just all-out nuts today...just as we thought we would lose it all, we end up with three touchdowns in the fourth quarter minutes apart as Stafford again saves the day like he did eight times last season helping us win our season opener, home opener and our first win against the Cardinals since...2005!

Pretty much all of me says that this will be quite similar to, if not better than, last season. Up next we go on the road for a Monday Night Football matchup against the Giants where a 2-0 start is very possible depending on how well they do against the Cowboys tonight.

I would like either Fournette [[top 1/3 of first round) or Howard [[top 1/2 of first round), so I'll pivot to a DE, Taco Charlton, who might still be on the board at #21.

Corey Davis [[10 - 21) the Western MI WR is my dark horse.

I love Kareem Hunt, RB, [[Toledo) in the 3rd round.
    This is a post of mine in March.

I wanted Kareem Hunt, but the Lions traded down [[correct?) and then selected Golladay.

Either would be fine today!!!

Both teams played awful.....and what the hell was that butter-finger end zone hero-play by the rookie kicker trying to run the ball [[Kasey Redfern was forced to leave the field on a cart towards the locker room)? Short career, very.....

It could be how NFL teams are playing the 4-game pre-season schedules.

The games are mostly for draftees, rookies, etc. and really limited play to get ready for the regular season.

I attended the game, and it sure did seem like 'SOL' for most of the first half. We were playing a good defense, and I was quite impressed by our 2nd half performance. Usually that's when we're both outcoached and outplayed. Not the case yesterday, and a lot of young players performed quite well. Carson Palmer struggled, and that helped our cause. I had a close view of the sidelines, and Prater was pretty disgusted with himself until he banged that long one.

Ford Field renovations looked good. However I'm continually amazed at the lousy treatment a smoker receives at Ford Field. $150 + a ticket and you have one smoking section per level. They might want to consider how that impacts their concessions as people circle half the stadium blocking the concourses trying to grab a smoke once in 4 hours. I'm guessing the 10 extra cops and staff blocking each of the other exits are there to provide directions to human cattle that are still silly enough to smoke. It seemed to be the only service they were actually providing....MOOO !

Can someone smoke in Ford Field?

I thought smoking was off limits for both college and pro facilities?

No?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast