Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Video update. And comments about more development proposals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7w3i9-GQh0

Drove by a couple of weeks ago. Moving along but still slow. Looks like the south side of Alfred will be completed by late August at best.
    I think the new announcement could involve the former Brewster Douglass sure or maybe those patches flanking Adelaide between John R and Brush streets.

Could this be the new development in BP?
    https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/6/4/...-park#comments

The whole thing is ugly, and I'm an architect

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    I do think it's funny how what are now "urban towns" used to be walk-up apartments, considered the cheapest form of housing.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I do think it's funny how what are now "urban towns" used to be walk-up apartments, considered the cheapest form of housing.
    If they continued to call them "walk up apartments" no one would pay through the nose to live in a cracker-box.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    that's just like, your wrong opinion bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    that's just like, your wrong opinion bro.
    Yes he is wrong... it is BUTT UGLY!! These black and gray shoe boxes have no nuance with the surviving victorian houses. The difference in architecture between them is so jarring, as to make it very unappealing. As much as I hear some on this forum grousing about the outcome of Orleans Landing... had those been built here instead of along Atwater... their brick colors would at least have matched somewhat with what survived before. What we have now reminds me of Habitat 1967 in Montreal... and will likely appear dated with the random window placement within 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yes he is wrong... it is BUTT UGLY!! These black and gray shoe boxes have no nuance with the surviving victorian houses. The difference in architecture between them is so jarring, as to make it very unappealing. As much as I hear some on this forum grousing about the outcome of Orleans Landing... had those been built here instead of along Atwater... their brick colors would at least have matched somewhat with what survived before. What we have now reminds me of Habitat 1967 in Montreal... and will likely appear dated with the random window placement within 20 years.
    Homes in Habitat 67 are well sought-after, so that would be an achievement for City Modern regardless of your opinion on its aesthetics.

Is the butt ugly comment a criticism of City Modern... Really? Has there been a more successful project in Detroit in a half century? Where does the money flow? Not public money for specious projects that wouldn't be viable without it. Where do real people want to spend?

Gistok, we agree on most things except contemporary architecture. You seem to be in the same camp as Prince Charles, the laughingstock of architecture criticism. Uh oh...

I support preserving historical architecture, like you do. I'll happily join you on your tours. I do NOT support trying to build historical architecture today. Learn from what worked and what hasn't, imagine what best serves, and apply contemporary possibilities in the ways they do best.
    Last edited by bust; June-06-19 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Homes in Habitat 67 are well sought-after, so that would be an achievement for City Modern regardless of your opinion on its aesthetics.
    Any residences with waterfront views and terraces are well sought-after...

City Modern Town Homes are my type of place. Well laid out, large windows, unobstructed city views and no damn basements.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    City Modern Town Homes are my type of place. Well laid out, large windows, unobstructed city views and no damn basements.
    It does have a certain Du Charme to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    If they continued to call them "walk up apartments" no one would pay through the nose to live in a cracker-box.

About 90 percent of millennials just brought those Cracker Jack Boxes up to $900,000. Luxury housing style has changed over the past 70 years. Get used to the George Jetson-esque architecture.

Yes 90% of millennials prefer walkable meaningful housing as opposed to some detached crap box in Canton. that is true.

George Jetson-esque? While there is some mid century influence here it is very watered down and modernized.

The new townhomes will have red brick and a more basic look so rejoice.

City Modern is the best residential development in Detroit in over 50 years.

In fairness architecture has been shit since the start of the 1940s so..eh

I'm with you Gistok.. The brick color, the window placement, it feels like just a step-up [[or shall I say "walk-up") from the Woodward Place.. Just add in the suburban subdivision sign for City Modern and there you have it.. These townhomes look nothing like the renderings and videos, which were exciting due to the collaboration between firms from around the country. Something happened between then and now, was it cost cutting? Was it laziness?

It literally looks exactly like the renders. You people are mad.

Should have known better. I'm not going to update this thread again since it just runs with absolute idiocy like this. If you don't like it, good for you! you want a cookie? a prize maybe? news flash nobody gives a flying shit.
    Last edited by Worldsgreatest; June-05-19 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    It literally looks exactly like the renders. You people are mad.
    Right? The best, they’re sold out!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Worldsgreatest... some of us on this forum can agree to disagree [[we never agree 100% on anything)... and we just state our opinion and move on, without making a scene, or getting ad hominem.

You on the other hand just need to put on your big boy pants and stop the pouting...

Worldsgreatest... some of us on this forum can agree to disagree [[we never agree 100% on anything)... and we just state our opinion and move on, without making a scene, or getting ad hominem.

You on the other hand just need to put on your big boy pants and stop the pouting...
    ^^^ this... how old are you anyways?

The material that has been used looks cheap.. cheaper than in that rendering.. and I would have preferred the gray, in contrast to the red brick, but we got this ugly tan color from 1998 McMansions..

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    ^^^ this... how old are you anyways?

The material that has been used looks cheap.. cheaper than in that rendering.. and I would have preferred the gray, in contrast to the red brick, but we got this ugly tan color from 1998 McMansions..
    I don't care about your opinions on the aesthetics but interested to know why you think the materials used are cheap. Have any evidence? Really want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I've been a fan of this development since the beginning, but they should have had basements. And I agree: the glazed grey brick in the renders looked much better.

I'm still a fan.
    Last edited by bust; June-06-19 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I've been a fan of this development since the beginning, but they should have had basements. And I agree: the glazed grey brick in the renders looked much better.

I'm still a fan.
    The gray brick your seeing are homes next to ransom gillis that have not been built yet.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast