Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Hostel Coming to the Cass Corridor

http://detroit.curbed.com/2017/3/13/...-cass-corridor

More investment going into the new arena area

Awesome, very much what Detroit needs. Young people and travelers do visit but they all can't afford $180-300 stays downtown.

cool new option for the young folk

That picture of the hotel back in the day makes me cry in my heart.

sleep with your wallet

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    sleep with your wallet
    Stayed in a hostel in Athens once and one of the roomies [[10/dorm) would help himself to everyone's cloths. Gotta expect some crazy business

I would happily consider a hostel in Helsinki. A hostel in Detroit though?? There's Hostel Detroit, which has great reviews. Am I just crazy?

They're looking at the long term with their location. Right by Cass Park, a short walk from Woodward and the future arena stuff. And while the area is kind of sketchy now it's not hard to imagine that changing in a few years.

Best wishes to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    They're looking at the long term with their location. Right by Cass Park, a short walk from Woodward and the future arena stuff. And while the area is kind of sketchy now it's not hard to imagine that changing in a few years.
    Cass Avenue is a little more sketchy in the wee smalls than Woodward, but, yes, that will change. Look at how far Woodward has come: new arena, light-rail up to DIA/WSU, close proximity to Comerica Park and Foxtown, walking distance to Downtown...

so what is the setup in a typical hostel? Cash only? one bathroom per floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Really just depends what the owners choose, or if there are any rules set by Detroit/Michigan. I've been in hostels where every room had it's own bathroom. I've also been in hostels where there were only two or three bathrooms per floor. And any modern hostel would likely prefer credit card but still take cash.

Hostels are as diverse like the cities they're found in. Most have both shared and private rooms and are usually well secured especially by the fact those who stay there are on the same economic boat. That's not to say there aren't thieves but for the most part the hostel community is on the same boat of traveling, learning, and having fun doing it.

It's the 21st century, very little is cash only. A young traveler today knows the value in debit cards vs. carrying too much cash.

Some have one bathroom shared by all genders [[one person at a time), most have separate bathrooms for men and women.

Some hostels can feel very corporate like [[i.e. spick 'n span with rules) and others are very chill, unique places.

It just depends.

This is the hostel in Helsinki that this guy currently has. https://www.cheapsleep.fi/ So you can see it's pretty nice looking.

Go catch any one of the "hostel" movies. It's pretty well layed out.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Hostels are as diverse like the cities they're found in. Most have both shared and private rooms and are usually well secured especially by the fact those who stay there are on the same economic boat. That's not to say there aren't thieves but for the most part the hostel community is on the same boat of traveling, learning, and having fun doing it.

It's the 21st century, very little is cash only. A young traveler today knows the value in debit cards vs. carrying too much cash.

Some have one bathroom shared by all genders [[one person at a time), most have separate bathrooms for men and women.

Some hostels can feel very corporate like [[i.e. spick 'n span with rules) and others are very chill, unique places.

It just depends.
    Sounds like a hostel environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Sounds like a hostel environment.
    Hostel la vista, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Go catch any one of the "hostel" movies. It's pretty well layed out.
    I see what you did there.

Awesome, I'm all for it. These travelers may not bring a lot of revenue but non-$300 rooms a night is a big need nowadays [[look at Airbnb).

The arena area is a strange place to do it though. Isn't very interesting, but the upside could be a "safer" feel from the new facilities and isolation being in that big complex.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    The arena area is a strange place to do it though. Isn't very interesting, but the upside could be a "safer" feel from the new facilities and isolation being in that big complex.
    going after the concert crowd

Prime area to invest in! Especially if Olympia actually follows through on the "District" and not just the Arena. Quite a few other attractive building right there on second that could be rehabbed.