Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Samsung Manufacturing jobs

How bout Duggan making a bid for some of these jobs.
    I would like to see the old Kelvinator facility on Plymouth Rd. once again building refrigerators.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/samsung...ico-1488985610

That would be some "explosive" news!

I kid, I really like my Galazy S7.

News Flash! Manufacturing jobs aren't "coming back" again. The number jobs that "come back" will pale in comparison to how many are lost as a result of automation. This is what Trump misses and his supporters will be sadly disappointed.

But bigger story is that even "white collar" jobs will be automated, like accountants, service jobs and even programmers, as computers will do much of the coding automatically. Rather than preparing our workforce for jobs of the past we should be training more artists, designers, liberal arts majors and other analytical and critical thinkers as these roles can't be automated.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    News Flash! Manufacturing jobs aren't "coming back" again. The number jobs that "come back" will pale in comparison to how many are lost as a result of automation. This is what Trump misses and his supporters will be sadly disappointed.

But bigger story is that even "white collar" jobs will be automated, like accountants, service jobs and even programmers, as computers will do much of the coding automatically. Rather than preparing our workforce for jobs of the past we should be training more artists, designers, liberal arts majors and other analytical and critical thinkers as these roles can't be automated.
    Great, more planners, not doers.
    There will always be a role for hands on jobs.
    Yes a vast majority of assembly jobs will be automated and a smaller work force needed when compared to the past, but some one has to repair the robots, interact with the customer and care for the aging populace. Robots only can do so much.
    FYI... a robot didn't write this response!

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/samsung...ico-1488985610

How bout Duggan making a bid for some of these jobs.
    I would like to see the old Kelvinator facility on Plymouth Rd. once again building refridgerators.
    aim a little higher

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...le-nikkei-says

Foxconn’s prospective U.S. plans remain preliminary. The envisioned facility could cost more than $7 billion and may create 30,000 to 50,000 jobs

Yes a vast majority of assembly jobs will be automated and a smaller work force needed when compared to the past, but some one has to repair the robots, interact with the customer and care for the aging populace. Robots only can do so much.
    Are we sure about that? You could be an artificial intelligence bot...

I agree with you, but at the same time, the jobs related to automation, such as robot repair, computer engineering, and software development is going to require college and training. These manufacturing jobs that people are pining for to come back aren't going to be working on a line assembling a product or manual labor that almost anyone can do. The "new" manufacturing of goods is not going to be 1970's grunt labor but sophisticated processes that trained and educated technicians will need to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Yeah that would be cool too. I just have nostalgic reasons for wanting to see the Plymouth road plant build refrigerators again. Besides, Samsung was looking at Ohio as a potential location. What's a move a few miles North gonna hurt? Think of the corporate PR gained by rehabbing an existing facility that used to manufacture the same product 65yrs prior in an area that is badly in need of Jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post

I agree with you, but at the same time, the jobs related to automation, such as robot repair, computer engineering, and software development is going to require college and training. These manufacturing jobs that people are pining for to come back aren't going to be working on a line assembling a product or manual labor that almost anyone can do. The "new" manufacturing of goods is not going to be 1970's grunt labor but sophisticated processes that trained and educated technicians will need to handle.
    True but robotic repair jobs are a skilled trade job that you can make an honest living off of.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    My wife would question the "intelligence" part of that statement.

Customer care is already being replaced by bots [[Amazon Echo, Facebook Messenger, chat bots, etc.)

I don't think there are any guaranteed "safe" jobs when it comes to robots. I for one, welcome our robot overlords.

don't forget about solar

https://www.bls.gov/green/solar_power/

Selected scientific occupations Median annual wages, 2010[[1)
    Physicists $106,370
    Chemists 68,320
    Materials scientists 84,720
    Footnote:
    [[1) The Occupational Employment Statistics data are available at www.bls.gov/oes. The data do not include benefits.

Selected engineering and computer occupations in the semiconductor and other electronic component manufacturing industry group Median annual wages, 2010[[1)
    Materials engineers $86,380
    Chemical engineers 92,820
    Electrical engineers 92,070
    Industrial engineers 83,620
    Mechanical engineers 78,910
    Software developers, applications 96,230
    Electrical and electronics engineering technicians 51,060
    Footnote:
    [[1) The Occupational Employment Statistics data are available at www.bls.gov/oes. The data do not include benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Customer care is already being replaced by bots [[Amazon Echo, Facebook Messenger, chat bots, etc.)

I don't think there are any guaranteed "safe" jobs when it comes to robots. I for one, welcome our robot overlords.
    Yes there are those customer care avenues that "triage" a call. In the end a human must make a decision based on ethical, financial and consumer relation interests.
    I have a relative that just lost one customer service job and landed another.
    People understand people. Robots just pretend to.

This thread makes me SO glad to be retired. Every day is Saturday.

Steel is being manufactured somewhere in the world other than Detroit...Too many people in Detroit and the surrounding area are out of work. Bring as much manufacturing back to Detroit.

Is there anywhere else on earth besides metro Detroit where people are convinced that robots will take everyone's jobs? The UAW has been pushing that mantra for a long time around here. Instead of changing the changes were made to us. We have been getting our asses kicked for decades.

Ether compete and win or be happy with being #33. Other states and regional economies are not throwing in the towel on jobs. They are fighting hard for them.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ohio/98517812/

... But bigger story is that even "white collar" jobs will be automated, like accountants, service jobs and even programmers, as computers will do much of the coding automatically....
    Programming has always been automated as much as possible. Nobody ever wanted to do all that bit twiddling.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Is there anywhere else on earth besides metro Detroit where people are convinced that robots will take everyone's jobs? The UAW has been pushing that mantra for a long time around here. Instead of changing the changes were made to us. We have been getting our asses kicked for decades.

Ether compete and win or be happy with being #33. Other states and regional economies are not throwing in the towel on jobs. They are fighting hard for them.

I am not surprised about Massachusetts being in #1 spot re your article. I am in Boston for the week and was walking around Cambridge exploring Harvard and MIT. The Wikipedia article on Harvard says that there are 64 Billionaires among the living alumni. Who can beat that? The endowment fund is like 35 billion dollars...
    Needless to say the windows are washed, the grass is mown and there is plenty left over for the future. Boston takes education seriously. I haven't come across too many tattoo parlors and liquor stores here and the city is as spiffy as any in Europe. Makes Montreal look like a third world hideaway. We drove down to Providence and Plymouth and I swear there are. Probably more potholes and tie-rodovaur cracks on my one city block than all the freeways I've travelled in Mass.

There uses to be a massive plant on Dickson street in East end Montreal that manufactured appliances. A Mexican company [[MABE) bought it from GE, ran it for a number of years and shuttered it to move those jobs to Mexico. None of those jobs are coming back folks.

Yep, eventually we'll be left with only lawyers, politicians and
    sex workers...

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Yep, eventually we'll be left with only lawyers, politicians and
    sex workers...
    Only one of those professions mentioned is in the service industry.

Only one of those professions mentioned is in the service industry.
    They all consider whoring to be a respectable trade.

The sitting mayor needs to be actively pitching for all types of companies to set up shop in the city. Not just manufacturing but as many industries as possible.
    the abandoned factory areas should be a priority for renovation and redevelopment

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post

I would argue that metro Detroit is one of the last places where large numbers of people believe we can bring back the 1950s economy of a middle-class lifestyle for large numbers of people with just a high-school education. Auto plants don't run themselves, but they need a lot fewer people than they used to. I agree we shouldn't throw in the towel on jobs, it's just the jobs of the future will be different than the jobs of the past and will need different skills and different education and training. Anyone pitching the idea that there's an easy way to bring back the auto manufacturing jobs of years past is selling snake oil to the masses.

As someone who works in manufacturing and automation I agree with this totally. It frustrates me to hear people always talk about automation not realizing that it’s not the future it’s the present. People think we make cars the same way we did 60 years ago. For those of us under 50 those jobs people talk about not coming back never existed in our working lifetime. The automation discussion always revolves around manufacturing pre-1980 vs post 2016. This ignores the rapid technological advances in manufacturing over the last 30+ years. We will still need unskilled people. Just not in the capacity as the 30s, 40s, and 60s, but we haven’t need people like that in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    The sitting mayor needs to be actively pitching for all types of companies to set up shop in the city. Not just manufacturing but as many industries as possible.
    the abandoned factory areas should be a priority for renovation and redevelopment
    I agree. Now that we are a RTW state, I thought we would always be in top consideration for opportunities like this.