Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wikileaks- Vault 7: CIA Hacking Tools Revealed

Say hi to your TV, it might be listening.

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/?ftag=...inkId=35213129

Recently, the CIA lost control of the majority of its hacking arsenal including malware, viruses, trojans, weaponized "zero day" exploits, malware remote control systems and associated documentation. This extraordinary collection, which amounts to more than several hundred million lines of code, gives its possessor the entire hacking capacity of the CIA. The archive appears to have been circulated among former U.S. government hackers and contractors in an unauthorized manner, one of whom has provided WikiLeaks with portions of the archive.

"Year Zero" introduces the scope and direction of the CIA's global covert hacking program, its malware arsenal and dozens of "zero day" weaponized exploits against a wide range of U.S. and European company products, include Apple's iPhone, Google's Android and Microsoft's Windows and even Samsung TVs, which are turned into covert microphones.

This makes the tin foil hat crowd seem respectable.

I have an Amazon Echo. It has a mute button to mute its microphone. I have always used it but I have never assumed it actually mutes anything. It's exactly what they'd use to give folks a false sense of security.

Smart tvs have been already doing this,you give them permission when you turn it on.

They listen to your conversion in the background and adjust advertising according to what you are discussing.They have said that they do not release the info to 3rd party but their systems can be hacked.

It seems like any internet search is also logged and then it follows you around to different websites with tailored advertising.

I guess it does not really bother me I just hope ad choices gives Lowell a kickback for useing his space to help defray costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    This makes the tin foil hat crowd seem respectable.

I have an Amazon Echo. It has a mute button to mute its microphone. I have always used it but I have never assumed it actually mutes anything. It's exactly what they'd use to give folks a false sense of security.

Why would you buy one of those things? I'd think Google search would get you better results.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    Why would you buy one of those things? I'd think Google search would get you better results.
    I wouldn't. It was a gift. I do appreciate it though. I use it as a radio.

I wouldn't. It was a gift. I do appreciate it though. I use it as a radio.
    Think of it as a TWO WAY RADIO! Hope the government likes Karaoke!

I heard on the news last night that contractors that the government employs don't have to pass the same background checks that it's own employees do. Is there any bottom to the level incompetence in the government ??

"Alexa" Are You Connected To The CIA?

https://youtu.be/QpDzW7YlgsQ

So who shall we trust? The CIA or WIKILEAKS...? Oh the misery of it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    So who shall we trust? The CIA or WIKILEAKS...? Oh the misery of it all!
    What if Wikileaks is an instrument of the CIA!!! OH MY!

Hah! Say it ain't so................
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-11-17 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    "Alexa" Are You Connected To The CIA?
    https://youtu.be/QpDzW7YlgsQ
    Funny comment to a similar video: "Put a rag over it and then pour water all over it then it will talk."

I get to knowingly grin and nod now when people acknowledge the wisdom of covering all of my devices' cameras that point at me with black electrical tape.

Although, I've developed what must seem a Tourette's symptom by randomly declaring, "You don't have to follow unethical orders." I do so hope that anyone unlucky enough to be tasked to listen to the On-Star microphone in my car enjoys my obsessive coaching of other drivers more than my partner.

I used to care about these things, now I feel sorry for any faction of Big Brother...willingly bludgeoned by the collective mundaneness of most of our lives. Seriously, surveillance of interesting criminals is largely boring...can you imagine...?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    ... Seriously, surveillance of interesting criminals is largely boring...can you imagine...?!
    I imagine voice recognition software can help filter out the boring parts. No doubt "interesting criminals" evade that with simple code words though.

There's no limit to how much can be overspent on security.

I need to get some of that tape [[smile). Then I hear you should basically go back to a tube TV [[I have one still running) as the new Samsung Smart TV is suppose to be able to record and listen to you. Iphones too! Great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I get to knowingly grin and nod now when people acknowledge the wisdom of covering all of my devices' cameras that point at me with black electrical tape.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-12-17 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I need to get some of that tape [[smile). Then I hear you should basically go back to a tube TV [[I have one still running) as the new Samsung Smart TV is suppose to be able to record and listen to you. Iphones too! Great!!
    Funny you mention that...everything I watch regularly is CRT. There were some really great 30-32" tubes made at the end of that technology's run, and they are so much easier on the eyes it is astounding. I just saved another from the recycler that I've yet to test. MOST tube tvs are obsolete junk, but a few widescreen models are treasures!

Spent last night at a friend's with a newish Samsung, came home to my trusty Panasonic tube and the first thing I noticed was the lack of fatigue, and a more organic look to skin. While tubes have their shortcomings, they can be calibrated to an uncanny accuracy. The fringes of their performance do not harsh the human perceptual system. Most flat panels are limited in ways that are merely mitigated with the next doubling of image-data elements...but the extremes are all harsh or abrasive to our eye/brain mechanism.

I'm not a fan of what my industry has done over the past decade or so. It is not surprising to me that turntables and cassette decks are making serious comebacks...I'm totally ready for that!

Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; March-13-17 at 04:31 AM.

I imagine voice recognition software can help filter out the boring parts. No doubt "interesting criminals" evade that with simple code words though.

There's no limit to how much can be overspent on security.
    I only speak in code now.

I understand why my cousin was learning Gaelic, too.

Gotta get back to my roots! Can't wait to invent a Gaelic/Polish mashup code language...LOL!

In Orwell's 1984, Big Brother watched people through their TVs. Back then [[1948) that must have seemed a preposterously unlikely development in the real world, yet here we are.

IIRC, only those in the Inner Party were able to turn off their TVs.

Damn, that was a good book.

In Orwell's 1984, Big Brother watched people through their TVs. Back then [[1948) that must have seemed a preposterously unlikely development in the real world, yet here we are.

IIRC, only those in the Inner Party were able to turn off their TVs.

Damn, that was a good book.
    The inner party could only turn off their Telescreens for a short period of time lest they raise suspicion. At least that was what the director at the Ministry of Truth told Winston when he had him visit him at his residence to give him the subversive book written by Goldstein.