Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default GM, Opel and PSA

Until recently, GM was building about 100 Opel Ampuras each month at Hamtramck Assembly for sale in Europe. I assume that has come to an end. Also, it seems likely that Buick will cease importing Cascadas from Poland since it is an Opel product. That was a brief experiment for Buick.

Do I recall that GM briefly some Vauxhalls in the US after World War II.
    Thank you.

Opel and Vauxhall were competitive in Europe until the Japanese invasion. GM hasn't turned a profit in Europe [[Opel/Vauxhall) since 1999. Time to cut the losses and concentrate on the North American and Chinese markets.

A lot of Opels were sold in the US or brought into the US by returning servicemen. Many Buick dealers also had Opel franchises selling Opel Kadets. Vauxhalls were quite rare.

I remember those Opels sold in the U.S. Our down the street neighbor who worked for GM gave his twin kids his and hers Opel Kadetts for their 16th birthday. We were all jealous until the things started to rust out after a year in Michigan conditions. My cousin bought an Opel GT after he returned from the army in the early '70s. It was being marketed by Buick as a sort of poor man's Corvette, and it was pretty fast, but steered like a pig. Also, the hidden headlights were manually operated [[!!) by a handle that was hard as hell to turn, and almost impossible in the cold. It too rusted out in just a few years.