Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Black History Month and Michigan Historic Sites and Markers in Detroit

I believe there are 27 sites involving the city's racial history that have been recognized as official Miigan Historic sites, many with those green historical markers. There are at least three additional commemoration that might be considered.

Rosa Park - She lived in Detroit for 39 years and continued her active role here.

Zachariah Chandler - He was, arguably, the city's most prominent abolitionist and, while in the Senate and as Secretary of the Interior, strongly defended the rights of the Freedmen and Native Americans.

Ralph Bunche - This Detroit native was the first African-American to win the Noble peace prize.

If any one wishes a list of the 27 sites, send an e-mail to 1701Motown@gmail.com

Is the Conant Gardens neighborhood on the list?

Yes, there is a State of Michigan Conant Gardens Historic District. And, the last time I was
    there, there was a Michigan Historic marker near Nevada and Conant.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    Ralph Bunche - This Detroit native was the first African-American to win the Nobel peace prize.
    There used to be a plaque for Ralph Bunche's birthplace just off Fort St. It was, at the time I remember seeing it, on an abandoned former Farmer Jack's supermarket. That plaque, like the supermarket, seems to have disappeared. Since the site is now a community health facility though [[CHASS), you wouldn't think it would be that hard to get a marker back up there.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-23-17 at 04:46 PM.

You are correct about Ralph Bunche. There once was a marker commemorating his birthplace. Replacing it on the new CHASS building seems highly appropriate.

The other day I learned that Rosa Parks was John Conyer's receptionist and secretary [[until the late 80s) which is incredible. Imagine calling your representative and getting Rosa Parks on the other end!

True enough. I have heard several stories about what happened to Rosa Parks after she was mugged in her apartment. One story is that Alfred Taubman encouraged her to move into his towers along the Detroit riverfront and never asked for any rent. Another is that Michael Ilitch paid her rent to Mr. Taubman. Both might be true. Does anyone know the details?

I was wondering about that too. Wikipedia has conflicting stories. I'm sure all of them have some truth to them though.

May fav is the Frederick Douglass - John Brown Meeting. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall listening to those two passionate fireballs.

Name:  Douglass-Brown-Meeting-Marker.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  94.0 KB