Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 9 of 143 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LeightonGeo View Post
    Okla City?
    Yes.......

This isn't an official rendering or even terribly accurate, but I snagged this from the Rocket Fiber Instagram account. It gives you an idea how the skyline is going to change once Hudsons is filled in.

Name:  RocketFiberSkyline.jpg
Views: 3355
Size:  34.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    This isn't an official rendering or even terribly accurate, but I snagged this from the Rocket Fiber Instagram account. It gives you an idea how the skyline is going to change once Hudsons is filled in.

Name:  RocketFiberSkyline.jpg
Views: 3355
Size:  34.3 KB
    Name:  Rocket Fiber Future.jpg
Views: 3244
Size:  85.7 KB

Is Dan Gilbert a sneaky little tease?!?

It looks like the building is on the other side of Woodward, maybe where the Under Armour store is now.

Crains is reporting that there will be an information session this Friday for contractors on the Hudson's site project. This is getting real, folks.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...r-hudsons-site

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Crains is reporting that there will be an information session this Friday for contractors on the Hudson's site project. This is getting real, folks.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...r-hudsons-site

I can confirm. I will be present at this event.

More Hudson's site Tower renderings. Also a cool mock-up of the Fisher Tower complex if the original plan reached completion.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...wer/880337001/
    Last edited by LeightonGeo; November-20-17 at 12:53 PM.

More Hudson's site Tower renderings. Also a cool mock-up of the Fisher Tower complex if the original plan reached completion.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...wer/880337001/
    Remember the Vdara death ray in Vegas? Could this be blinding fans and ball players?

Those renderings were created by a Reddit user. Interesting to see, but I'm sure the final product will be different.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Those renderings were created by a Reddit user. Interesting to see, but I'm sure the final product will be different.
    I hope so... those renderings are so ugly!

A side note that I didn't think warranted another thread; they cut down all the trees in front of the Hudson's site on Woodward. Obviously, this is in preparation for construction, but I do hope they plant new ones in five years when the project is completed. Tree-lined streets are a very underrated addition to a downtown.

would have been nice if they filled in the empty space in the skyline. Not a criteria for building tall buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    A side note that I didn't think warranted another thread; they cut down all the trees in front of the Hudson's site on Woodward. Obviously, this is in preparation for construction, but I do hope they plant new ones in five years when the project is completed. Tree-lined streets are a very underrated addition to a downtown.
    The sad thing is that many of those trees could have remained, had the environmental laws not been what they are.

Long story short, there is an endangered bat species that could have potentially built nests in those trees next spring. If that were to happen, construction would be delayed for 9 months as to not disturb said endangered bat. Obviously a project of this scale cannot afford a 9 month bat delay, so to remove the risk, the trees were cut down. No trees = no potential bat issues.

The more I look at these mock ups the more I wish they'd add 10-15 stories to Monroe Block to help balance the skyline out. Hudsons is going to really look isolated from most views.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    The more I look at these mock ups the more I wish they'd add 10-15 stories to Monroe Block to help balance the skyline out. Hudsons is going to really look isolated from most views.
    Agreed. That's why I brought up the comparison to Oklahoma City earlier in the thread and how it's going to stick out like a sore thumb [[and not in the good way).

Beggars can't be choosers of course. It's nice that Detroit's finally getting a new tallest building. But symmetry is just as important IMO. Given there's a good chance the Hudson skyscraper will be the only new building of similar height Detroit sees for a long time [[unless a game changer like Amazon HQ2 happens), the skyline will look really unbalanced.

That's also why I suggested the addition of a crown or antenna [[similar to the Sears Tower, Key Tower, BOA Plaza, Liberty Place Tower or the Empire State Building) to make the building seem less awkward. Right now, it's painfully obvious that someone decided to suddenly pull a dick-measuring move just because.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-22-17 at 01:30 AM.

Between what we have seen publicly with design changes and from what I have heard behind the scenes from a former employee at SHoP I wouldn't be surprised if the tower undergoes another change. The top looks awkward and a more elegant crown, as suggested, would make it look better with the rest of the skyline. Plus it would add some height without a ton of extra cost.

Groundbreaking Friday!

On my phone and can't easily share a link but it's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Groundbreaking Friday!

On my phone and can't easily share a link but it's out there.
    I assume this will be with a jack hammer instead of a shovel?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    lol I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how long it's going to take them to bust out the current parking deck. It seems like it takes forever for a build to reach street level normally. I would imagine we won't see steel coming out of the ground for at least 18 months. What do you guys think?

The timeline I heard for completion is 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Haha right?! And by "Groundbreaking" they mean, they're gonna symbolically remove one of the beams and resume work in the spring while leaving some equipment to make it look like there's work.

Does anyone know if the entire garage is getting replaced? Or is it just the south portion where the tower will be that is getting redone?

Given that the non-tower portion of the development is short enough that it’s weight could be built upon the existing substructure, I didn’t know if they were going to completely start from scratch and structurally remove the existing garage in its entirety, or if they were just going to rebuild the south part of the block to hold the tower and build the north part of the Hudson development upon the existing garage.

More renderings. Pretty cool angles. Published at Crain's Nov 21.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...#&gid=1&pid=10

More renderings. Pretty cool angles. Published at Crain's Nov 21.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...#&gid=1&pid=10

These are UNOFFICIAL renderings that were made by a private citizen not affiliated with the project in any way. They are really cool just showing how the height will change our skyline but don't take them as official final renderings.

I love the rendering that shows the north-facing view from Campus Martius. The building towering over the park feels like New York

Page 9 of 143 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 59 109 ... LastLast