Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 8 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitNightLights View Post
    Does anyone else feel that the renderings were changed to court Amazon?

The whole complex reminds me of the Seattle Amazon complex in function. It has huge colored glass panels and huge greenhouse atriums. The amount of old style carts is very Amazon. The tech spaces are divided like they are at Amazon, with the names giving hints of what each could become. Then there are the drones carrying boxes.
    If you're referring to the Monroe Block, the changes were made before Amazon announced their plans.

To add, Dan Gilbert mentioned that he did need the extra space to house this employees, as they've run out of rooms in the buildings they currently occupy. The Monroe Block project would address this.

I thought there was a new hotel being built for Cobo.

I agree about the stadium.
    Ah yes, I think you're referring to the 2nd tower for the Crowne Plaza.

That's still in the early planning stages. No details/renderings have been released and it hasn't been approved by the city. It's in the same boat as the Woodward / Grand Blvd project.

Besides the Monroe / Hudson, the only other "high-rise" I would hold my breath for is The Ashton on 3rd & Howard. The developer for that land owns the land, the fencing is up around the site, they have the financing in places and complete rendering / building specifications have been released.

Anyone else notice in the updated renderings of the Hudson site that there are drones [[one of which carrying a package) flying around? Easter egg?

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanViews View Post
    Anyone else notice in the updated renderings of the Hudson site that there are drones [[one of which carrying a package) flying around? Easter egg?
    I did notice that as well, but I wasn't sure what to think of it. Clearly an Amazon reference but not sure if they're suggesting this could be a potential spot for their second world headquarters or something else...

Quote Originally Posted by detroitpride313 View Post
    I did notice that as well, but I wasn't sure what to think of it. Clearly an Amazon reference but not sure if they're suggesting this could be a potential spot for their second world headquarters or something else...
    Right? It's obvious the reference. I would also think it is obvious that Amazon wouldn't locate to the Hudson site if they were to bring HQ2 to Detorit. Still, I figured it should be discussed as to why SHoP would include such an obvious Easter Egg in their newest renderings on the heels of the announcement that Detroit is under consideration for HQ2.

I think you're both reading too deeply into it.

It's simply Gilbert's [[or perhaps the designer's) vision of what Detroit will look like when the project is complete. Amazon is actively working on delivering their packages using drone technology, so it's not completely unrealistic to expect drones carrying packages to become common place everywhere in the near future [[regardless of what city Amazon chooses for their HQ2).

DetroitNightLights Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I think you're both reading too deeply into it.

It's simply Gilbert's [[or perhaps the designer's) vision of what Detroit will look like when the project is complete. Amazon is actively working on delivering their packages using drone technology, so it's not completely unrealistic to expect drones carrying packages to become common place everywhere in the near future [[regardless of what city Amazon chooses for their HQ2).
    Would having the option to locate in one of Gilbert's prominent sites and the state's tallest building make Detroit more attractive for Amazon?

I agree. They are marketing it to Amazon.

Would having the option to locate in one of Gilbert's prominent sites and the state's tallest building make Detroit more attractive for Amazon?

I agree. They are marketing it to Amazon.
    The Hudson site is residential, but as far as the Monroe Block, I personally wouldn't prefer it because I'd rather Amazon develop the other vacant parcels downtown [[I.E. Lafayette Block or the lots in Bricktown). That said, it's certainly a possibility.

I think Amazon would not be in the current "downtown" proper: I think they have indicated they want something of a campus, and not one office building. A collection of mostly new & a few restored buildings on the perimeter of the the downtown/midtown area are much more likely, I think, than a downtown plan. But that's assuming Detroit has much of a chance [[which I think we don't, because I suspect Amazon has already decided where they want to go). If I were Amazon and I picked Detroit, I would seek to build either in west Corktown [[and include MCS) or the Packard site.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I think Amazon would not be in the current "downtown" proper: I think they have indicated they want something of a campus, and not one office building.
    Amazon just wants a place with a ton of vacant land.

Where Detroit differs from most other major cities is that it has no shortage of vacant land in its downtown proper. Thus, in Detroit's case, downtown proper would be a very good candidate for them.

Furthermore, if you look at Seattle, I doubt they're looking for a contiguous piece of land, but vacant land that's all in relatively close proximity to each other [[again, another check for downtown proper).

It would be easier to assemble land for a campus in downtown. Corktown is a bunch of small lots owned by a bunch of different people and there would be a lot of pushback from residents who don't want a dozen skyscrapers and hoards of amazon workers looming over their neighborhood.

One of Detroit's main advantages is they have a lot of easy and affordable options for building right in the heart of a major downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    It would be easier to assemble land for a campus in downtown. Corktown is a bunch of small lots owned by a bunch of different people and there would be a lot of pushback from residents who don't want a dozen skyscrapers and hoards of amazon workers looming over their neighborhood.

One of Detroit's main advantages is they have a lot of easy and affordable options for building right in the heart of a major downtown.
    Give those parking lot owners a 7-figure check [[a pittance for a company like Amazon) and they'll hand over that land faster than you can say "Prosperity Bomb."
    Last edited by 313WX; September-16-17 at 10:09 AM.

Amazon just wants a place with a ton of vacant land.

Where Detroit differs from most other major cities is that it has no shortage of vacant land in its downtown proper. Thus, in Detroit's case, downtown proper would be a very good candidate for them.

Furthermore, if you look at Seattle, I doubt they're looking for a contiguous piece of land, but vacant land that's all in relatively close proximity to each other [[again, another check for downtown proper).
    It's hard to look at this graphic of Amazon's Seattle footprint and not be reminded of about six different areas in the heart of downtown/midtown/New Center that would offer comparable contiguous vacant space. That has to be a plus.

Name:  AmazonFootprint.PNG
Views: 2423
Size:  192.6 KB

I have a question about the Hudson's site:

Had a lot of underground parking which will be forever gone? Right?

Adds a ton of commercial and residential space. Where do the cars go???

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Jason,

Do you think any reason why the River Front [[St. Antoine and Atwater) wouldn't be the location to be marketed to Bezos?

Can build one or two towers there and then sprinkle other satellite buildings throughout the downtown area.

That area is just begging for a headquarters building[[s).
    Last edited by emu steve; September-17-17 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I have a question about the Hudson's site:

Had a lot of underground parking which will be forever gone? Right?

Adds a ton of commercial and residential space. Where do the cars go???
    Articles have stated there will be a new 700 space underground garage.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Articles have stated there will be a new 700 space underground garage.
    Thank you. And that sounds perfect to me.

I knew that will have to demolish the existing garage. I just didn't know if they were going to replace the lost parking spaces and with how many.

BTW, I Googled and found this article:

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...ance/98641776/

Parking and traffic will probably be a total mess while construction occurs with construction equipment, construction workers' vehicles, etc. etc.

Wasn't it stated that the project won't be finished until 2020 or even 21?

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    BTW, I Googled and found this article:

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...ance/98641776/

Parking and traffic will probably be a total mess while construction occurs with construction equipment, construction workers' vehicles, etc. etc.

Wasn't it stated that the project won't be finished until 2020 or even 21?
    I remember getting a chuckle reading that article. Farmer, Gratiot and even Woodward are not exactly busy streets. Try putting up an 80 story building with one street available for construction in downtown Toronto, Chicago, etc.

I've been waiting for months to see some decent renderings of the overall Detroit skyline with this Hudson's site building inserted. GSGeorge did a fantastic job with that. How exacting are those in terms of positioning and height? I think that another comment here mentioned that this new tower still won't overshadow the RenCen from the riverfront views. I totally agree. Even at 800ft. I tried a half-assed mockup myself. I used the Stott Building as my height reference since it is almot exactly the same distance from the river as the Hudson's site. I just created a rectangle that is 1.7 times the height Stott's 450ft peak.. then placed it behind One Campus Martius. I don't think it will be prominent at all while looking straight down Woodward from the water. But on a slight angle like seen in the first picture it looks great. It's even more dramatic from the perspective of the Packard area.

Name:  Detroit Skyline with Hudsons Block RenderingFLT.jpg
Views: 2761
Size:  64.6 KB
    Name:  12745786_10153283986121906_3285250864255038097_n RENDERING small.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  48.3 KB
    Last edited by LeightonGeo; September-26-17 at 09:32 PM.

Oh wow that Packard shot looks incredible. Great work!

DetroitNightLights Guest

Default Hudson's tower design has its head in the clouds but keeps its eyes on the street

Are those Detroit pewabic pottery tiles!? Those used to be all over downtown, and many of the buildings still have them around their entrance floors and a few walls. That is awesome!

Remember, Gilbert is being presented with designs, and he then passes them to the people to gauge the public response. This guy should be a role model for others who want to move their businesses to any downtown across the country, let alone Detroit. One of our city's wealthiest citizens is actually being part of the community. Very nice Sir!

Hudson's tower design has its head in the clouds but keeps its eyes on the street

Quote Originally Posted by LeightonGeo View Post
    I've been waiting for months to see some decent renderings of the overall Detroit skyline with this Hudson's site building inserted. GSGeorge did a fantastic job with that. How exacting are those in terms of positioning and height? I think that another comment here mentioned that this new tower still won't overshadow the RenCen from the riverfront views. I totally agree. Even at 800ft. I tried a half-assed mockup myself. I used the Stott Building as my height reference since it is almot exactly the same distance from the river as the Hudson's site. I just created a rectangle that is 1.7 times the height Stott's 450ft peak.. then placed it behind One Campus Martius. I don't think it will be prominent at all while looking straight down Woodward from the water. But on a slight angle like seen in the first picture it looks great. It's even more dramatic from the perspective of the Packard area.

Name:  Detroit Skyline with Hudsons Block RenderingFLT.jpg
Views: 2761
Size:  64.6 KB
    Name:  12745786_10153283986121906_3285250864255038097_n RENDERING small.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  48.3 KB
    I mus say, when I see those pictures, I can't help but think of this:

Name:  8-oklahoma-city-oklahoma.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  64.8 KB

It could use a crown.
    Last edited by 313WX; October-02-17 at 06:07 PM.

I mus say, when I see those pictures, I can't help but think of this:

Name:  8-oklahoma-city-oklahoma.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  64.8 KB

It could use a crown.
    Okla City?

Page 8 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 58 108 ... LastLast