Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 7 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 57 107 ... LastLast

I am glad that that swirling former design was changed to something more practical. I am also happy that the design follows the streetwall of Woodward [[and other streets I assume).

What I like abouth this building is that it almost forces you to WANT to look at it...

Now the fact that they had to go from 734 ft. in height to over 800 ft.... damn that verkokte Monroe Block building... see what you had to make them do here with the Hudsons Block!!! .... lol

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Height has been upgraded from 734 to above 800 feet.

...wow...
    Besides Chicago & NYC, only Atlanta has 3 buildings taller than it east of the Mississippi.

Now doesn't that look better....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would not be surprised if Monroe gets a bit taller now too.

Honestly I liked the other design better and although some people didnt like the swirls **cough, Gistok, cough** I did like that it added a type of architecture not seen in Detroit. This is still interesting but to me a bit more tame. The tower also looks awkward as hell. I hope they release more soon with a better look at the observation deck.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I would not be surprised if Monroe gets a bit taller now too.

Honestly I liked the other design better and although some people didnt like the swirls **cough, Gistok, cough** I did like that it added a type of architecture not seen in Detroit. This is still interesting but to me a bit more tame. The tower also looks awkward as hell. I hope they release more soon with a better look at the observation deck.
    While I also thought the previous renderings were more interesting, the practical side in me likes the new design better. I think maintenance costs will be much less with this new design, and more importantly I think the new design will age much better than the old design would. Just my two cents, and I am not an architect so what do I know...

I preferred the previous design as well. The sweeping Woodward view had a lot more "wow". Too bad they didn't incorporate the new tower with the previous base...

I'm trying to figure out what that thingy on the top of the tower is.... with the tower it reminds me of something I can't place at the moment... [[cough "bottle opener").....

It's hard to tell from the renderings what exactly is going on and whether it makes any sense.

But, I think it makes sense to separate it into two buildings and I think the new pedestrian space is good. The pedestrian space will be a good scale, and it also kind of replaces the pedestrian path on Gratiot to make a higher quality pedestrian experience. The back of the compuware building is a bunch of doors and vents and stuff, and also street traffic, and the new space is definitely preferable to that. The pedestrian space also provides deeper access into the site, so they don't have to try doing the shopping mall/atrium circulation system in the middle anymore.

I think the massing does a good job of conforming to the beaux arts logic of the site, while introducing some looseness.

I'm really curious about what is going on with the big glass boxes in the middle. Is it really all event space and what are the individual spaces? What is the giant glass room at the bottom of the residential tower?

It also looks like a bunch of the windows will be capable of showing video? Along with a bunch of the ceilings? It's kind of funny to me how it's yuppie fruit market in the back, and bladerunner in the front.

Looks like they have some Minoru Yamasaki coffered ceiling panels on the bottom of the office portion.

And lol at the kitchen backsplash tiles on the ground floor. And the observation deck is hard to see but I hope it doesn't look goofy because observation decks often look goofy.

I still think a lot of the design is superficial aesthetics for the purposes of branding and excitement rather than architectural principles, but I'm not the one designing it.
    Last edited by Jason; September-13-17 at 07:20 PM.

Upon a closer look, the observation deck looks like it sticks out over the side with a round glass floor. Kind of a "me too" design since Chicago and several other cities have one. I'm not too thrilled about that. Overall on first viewing, the base seems too blocky.

Now I miss the previous design. While it wasn't exactly restrained, there were basically two two vertical planes on the facade and the curves softened the whole thing.

This new design puts me in the mindset of Mega Bloks and is too busy for my taste.

Funny that some of you mention "blocky" as a description for the new design. The old design also has a certain "blocky" look to it. In LEGO these are called "short shots"... and they are parts that didn't get enough of the heated [[ABS) plastic into the mold to complete it.

The old design is very reminiscent of a "short shot"... and it too is blocky... but as one incomplete block....

For me personally... I really don't care which design they use... both do a pretty good job with the streetwall. But since the rest of Woodward consists of individual buildings as part of a larger whole... I don't understand why it wouldn't make sense to continue that type of design by breaking up the Hudson Block into separate looking parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; September-14-17 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Funny that some of you mention "blocky" as a description for the new design. The old design also has a certain "blocky" look to it. In LEGO these are called "short shots"... and they are parts that didn't get enough of the heated [[ABS) plastic into the mold to complete it.

The old design is very reminiscent of a "short shot"... and it too is blocky... but as one incomplete block....
    To clarify, the first design is certainly a big block, but to me the channels and observation deck look like they were carved out of said block. It's got a kind of sculptural quality and the visually busier facade at the bottom is fairly well balanced by the glass at the top. Admittedly, it had to grow on me for awhile.

The new design has, three or four different setbacks, about five different facades, is top heavy, and has floors at different levels? It looks cobbled together.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Besides Chicago & NYC, only Atlanta has 3 buildings taller than it east of the Mississippi.
    Key Tower in Cleveland

I really think you should go back, review your above statement and do some research before you post. Philadelphia has two buildings; Indianapolis, Charlotte and Pittsburgh each have one building that are over 800 feet. And if you want to get technical Minneapolis does as well.

all of the slender curvaceous quality has been value-engineered out. and the timeline moved out. no surprise there. the street level is very lacking. its merely glazed storefront with some kind of 'glass tile' looking brow. the intriguing component I notice is the large red art piece in a fishbowl beneath the tower. I don't believe they make seamless glazing that tall.

That piece of art looks like and Alexander Calder that they just placed into the rendering. I am curious to see what the programming is for much of the public spaces and I hope there is a big helping of public art.

I tend to agree about the value engineering. While this is flashier I think I much prefer the Monroe Block development now.

Curbed Detroit has a couple "fun illustrations" from SHoP:

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/9/13...rings-released

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    I really think you should go back, review your above statement and do some research before you post.
    While I appreciate you contributing to my post, the snark wasn't necessary.

I really think you should learn how to talk to other people.

While I appreciate you contributing to my post, the snark wasn't necessary.

I really think you should learn how to talk to other people.
    Point taken. Many apologies.

A section! I think the offices will be a really enjoyable place to work. It looks like you can see what they were talking about with the transformable event space, you can see how the floor can move up and down.

DetroitNightLights Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Now doesn't that look better....
    Thank you. That looks beautiful. Will you be able to see any other new skyscrapers from Windsor? I know there is the Monroe Block. Isn't there some new skyscrapers planned for Cobo Hall and Greektown?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitNightLights View Post
    Thank you. That looks beautiful. Will you be able to see any other new skyscrapers from Windsor? I know there is the Monroe Block. Isn't there some new skyscrapers planned for Cobo Hall and Greektown?
    There's a 12-story condo project on 3rd and Howard that's set to break ground soon.

Another develoers that owns a 64,000 sq. ft. parcel on the SW corner of Woodward and Grand Blvd may be planning a high rise ,[[could be as tall as 35 stories).

Otherwise, there's not much else going on. I know Dan Gilbert had a few more high rises in his conceptual drawing for the soccer stadium, but I'd be surprised if they're actually included in the final design [[and frankly, the stadium would be better off without them).

DetroitNightLights Guest

Does anyone else feel that the renderings were changed to court Amazon?

The whole complex reminds me of the Seattle Amazon complex in function. It has huge colored glass panels and huge greenhouse atriums. The amount of old style carts is very Amazon. The tech spaces are divided like they are at Amazon, with the names giving hints of what each could become. Then there are the drones carrying boxes.

DetroitNightLights Guest

There's a 12-story condo project on 3rd and Howard that's set to break ground soon.

Another develoers that owns a 64,000 sq. ft. parcel on the SW corner of Woodward and Grand Blvd may be planning a high rise ,[[could be as tall as 35 stories).

Otherwise, there's not much else going on. I know Dan Gilbert had a few more high rises in his conceptual drawing for the soccer stadium, but I'd be surprised if they're actually included in the final design [[and frankly, the stadium would be better off without them).
    I thought there was a new hotel being built for Cobo.

I agree about the stadium.

Page 7 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 57 107 ... LastLast