Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 43 of 142 FirstFirst ... 33 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 53 93 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 3540

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I watched the latest video; still can't make out what that is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz0NEp9PYvI&t=0s
    To me it looks like a trench box - used when installing underground utilities. Name:  Heavy-Duty-Trench-Shoring.jpg
Views: 2983
Size:  55.8 KB

Hey folks!

I don't think it's a trench box, but I can't explain what it is. It seems to be a device that holds fluids, but I'm not sure what fluid or why.

I don't see any sign of a crane, but I'm holding out hope.

Name:  ORange THing.jpg
Views: 2867
Size:  79.6 KB

48307 - you are correct and does look like something to hold fluids or water, wonder what that is used for.

48307 - thanks for the close up view of whatever that is, definitely not a trench box.

Thanks for the closeup. It's a frac tank, which is typically used to hold fluid for drilling. Get yours today! https://www.adlertankrentals.com/purchase

Thanks for the closeup. It's a frac tank, which is typically used to hold fluid for drilling. Get yours today! https://www.adlertankrentals.com/purchase
    Nice work! We did notice that they have holes drilled with hoses going to them.

They were tearing up Gratiot between One Campus Martius and the site today. Probably some kind of utility work? Or are they connecting OCM to the new building?

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Hey folks!

I don't think it's a trench box, but I can't explain what it is. It seems to be a device that holds fluids, but I'm not sure what fluid or why.

I don't see any sign of a crane, but I'm holding out hope.

Name:  ORange THing.jpg
Views: 2867
Size:  79.6 KB
    Don't get your hopes up. They need to file with the FAA for a crane permit 45 days in advance, and as of right now there is no filing. It's also worth noting that none of the other major developments have crane permits filed right now such as Monroe or Ilitch empty promise du jour [[google "FAA circle search for cases")

They were tearing up Gratiot between One Campus Martius and the site today. Probably some kind of utility work? Or are they connecting OCM to the new building?
    I thought a connection was a possibility. I walked down to the underground where the connection would be relative to the work and there is no sign of work in the underground of OCM other than the bottom most parking level is completely empty of cars. I think they shut down the bottom level because of congestion issues with the Gratiot near Woodward entrance being closed.

Here are some pictures from today:

Name:  IMG_20190718_090237153_HDR.jpg
Views: 2536
Size:  123.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20190718_121109878_HDR.jpg
Views: 2534
Size:  137.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20190718_121149297_HDR 1.jpg
Views: 2527
Size:  127.8 KB

According to the construction timeline I have seen, steel erection is due to start sometime this fall with frame work reaching beyond street level by Spring 2020.

The Vista Tower in Chicago has been topped out at almost 1200' if you observe the construction that started in 2016 there was a huge steel reinforced base before upward construction was started, video is on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    According to the construction timeline I have seen, steel erection is due to start sometime this fall with frame work reaching beyond street level by Spring 2020.
    I'm not surprised to hear those timelines. This project involved a massive demolition phase unlike most projects in urban areas today.

Some kind of cylinder [[bottom left corner of the pit) has been sticking out of the ground for three days now. Not sure if that will get dropped into the hole, or this is the first "upward" construction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaSxOjjQy2Y

Some kind of cylinder [[bottom left corner of the pit) has been sticking out of the ground for three days now. Not sure if that will get dropped into the hole, or this is the first "upward" construction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaSxOjjQy2Y
    My previous speculations were wrong, but my current speculation is that they're going to put rebar into it and pour concrete. This could be the first vertical progress.

Name:  IMG_20190726_102200246.jpg
Views: 1886
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20190726_103243477_HDR.jpg
Views: 1821
Size:  84.6 KB

While searching for something else on Google Maps, I noticed that there is a label and defined area known as "Hudson Quarter" which incorporates the Hudson block and adjacent areas of Farmer, Library, Gratiot, Randolph and Monroe. Is this a designated area now, like Capital Park or Greektown, or did someone just get creative with their naming. I do like it though!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hu...!4d-83.0465421

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    While searching for something else on Google Maps, I noticed that there is a label and defined area known as "Hudson Quarter" which incorporates the Hudson block and adjacent areas of Farmer, Library, Gratiot, Randolph and Monroe. Is this a designated area now, like Capital Park or Greektown, or did someone just get creative with their naming. I do like it though!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hu...!4d-83.0465421
    Looks more like the "Skillman Quarter" surrounding the library. It seems odd to include the One Campus Martius garage in the Hudsons Quarter, and not the OCM building.

U am excited about the tallest building in Michigan being built on the site but as someone had mentioned The RenCen complex has 6 towers not including the hotel that stacked in in threes each would had dwarfed the twin towers in New York which were considered to be condemned due to asbestos before 911. I was thinking a few years back that 3, 39 story glass buildings could had been built with a plaza in the middle. It would had been nice to see two 300 foot buildings with the most state of the art unique design were pedestrians from Woodward could see the hustle and bustle that could be going on in the buildings instead of a tall 999 ft tall tower that will take more to fill up with tenants

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    U am excited about the tallest building in Michigan being built on the site but as someone had mentioned The RenCen complex has 6 towers not including the hotel that stacked in in threes each would had dwarfed the twin towers in New York which were considered to be condemned due to asbestos before 911. I was thinking a few years back that 3, 39 story glass buildings could had been built with a plaza in the middle. It would had been nice to see two 300 foot buildings with the most state of the art unique design were pedestrians from Woodward could see the hustle and bustle that could be going on in the buildings instead of a tall 999 ft tall tower that will take more to fill up with tenants
    Not 100% sure what your point is here stasu1213... but if it's about the 912 ft. Hudson's Tower... remember that it doesn't include office space. Office space will be in the 14 story block building. The tower will be residential, two hotels, and some other space [[exhibition,ballrooms, fitness, etc?). So having it all as one tower is fine....

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I’d gladly take a taller tower over a complex of shorter ones like the RenCen. That being said, the RenCen is still very impressive and it’s cool Detroit is where it was built. It ages well too.

I am excited about the 912 feet tall tower. I was thinking on the practical side of it. The RenCen aged well due to it having a glass shell and the improvements done to it in the past 20 years. As far as retail the RenCen is grossly under utilized. GM had dropped the ball on getting high end retail in the complex especially the Wintergardens. I am glad that something is being built in the heart of Merchant's Row instead of on the riverfront. I still would rather see the neighborhoods make a come back which could draw people to live in Detroit and have a front and backyard instead of living on top of one another as New Yorkers and Chicagoans do. It is good to have an attractive downtown but let's focus on making Detroit a much more livable place where young people would want to come to

It seems as if the young people of today prefer the high density environment. A much higher percentage of them are ditching their cars in lieu of public transportation. Lots of
    studies
    show that these last couple of generations what to spend their money on experiences rather than things. While the neighborhood revival is essential for the vibrancy of any city do not expect it to look like what it used to.

GM didn't drop the ball.... there was never a ball to drop.

I remember going there on opening day in 1977, and seeing all high end shops... Cartier... Ungaro... Givenchy... etc. They were enticed to stay for one year with sweetheart deals... and in one year they were all gone.

Just because the Renaissance Center has a world class look, does not mean that they can entice world class shopping... since there was no nearby market of customers. It was a good idea for GM to build the Wintergarten, but the clientele never showed up. Detroit could not, nor can it yet sustain a "Miracle Mile" or "5th Avenue" customer base. Maybe at some point in the future... but even now is not yet the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

I remember going there on opening day in 1977, and seeing all high end shops... Cartier... Ungaro... Givenchy... etc. They were enticed to stay for one year with sweetheart deals... and in one year they were all gone.

Just because the Renaissance Center has a world class look, does not mean that they can entice world class shopping... since there was no nearby market of customers. It was a good idea for GM to build the Wintergarten, but the clientele never showed up. Detroit could not, nor can it yet sustain a "Miracle Mile" or "5th Avenue" customer base. Maybe at some point in the future... but even now is not yet the time...
    Agreed with your miracle mile comment. The kind of retail that cities like Chicago can support is a long ways off in a downtown market like Detroit’s. However, that being said, I am impressed with the progress that’s been made in the last decade. A lot of retail stores have come down that I never would have imagined. Now if only they can lure target in the SOMA development and that Meijer store gets built with the apartments on East Jefferson.

Agreed. The only way GM dropped the ball was by putting any retail in the Wintergarden when there was clearly no market for them. It was fine to build something to open up the riverfront side but just the restaurant spaces and a public overlook to the river from a couple of floors up would have made more sense.
    Last edited by 401don; August-01-19 at 07:18 AM.

Yes GM had dropped the ball due to poor management that could not get any good retail in the Rencen. Starbucks should had been in the Wintergardens instead of next to the post office on the 3 floor. The Wintergardens is underutilized and could have more cafes and shops there

Page 43 of 142 FirstFirst ... 33 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 53 93 ... LastLast