Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 40 of 143 FirstFirst ... 30 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 50 90 140 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 3561

Yet key tower is somehow still standing! Cleveland must have some strict earthquake codes.

Cleveland designs for magnitude 6, since they had several mag 5 events
    https://www.post-gazette.com/local/r...s/201906100097

https://twitter.com/i/status/1138115270969397248

Detroit doesn't get any - civil engineers just push that thought away
    Last edited by O3H; June-10-19 at 07:12 PM.

The biggest dangers are going to be St. Louis and Memphis. The 1811 New Madrid fault [[SE Missouri) was over 8.0 I believe... and had there been many settlers near the Mississippi River back then, then damages would have been devastating. It caused the Mississippi to change direction for a while, and church bells were ringing as far off as New England due to that quake.

Any way you slice it... I wouldn't want to be near the Kew Tower, Terminal Tower, RenCen or future Hudson's Tower during any earthquake. Buildings may not topple... but there's the dreaded falling window glass to worry about...
    Last edited by Gistok; June-10-19 at 07:32 PM.

High winds- March 8, 2017
    General Motors sent employees home from the Renaissance Center
    because strong winds were posing potential building problems.

Tall buildings don't always work out as planned

Published 8:16 p.m. ET Nov. 12, 2015
    RenCen sways as wind gusts hit 50 mph

Hardly an isolated incident, happened a few times over the years
    On windy days the building can sway up to thirty inches.

It's almost 2020, there won't be any engineering oversights in the new tower
    Last edited by O3H; June-10-19 at 09:04 PM.

there is no earthquake risk in Detroit Michigan and never will be

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    there is no earthquake risk in Detroit Michigan and never will be
    Fortunately there are no local [[before the founding of Detroit in 1701) oral Native American stories that talk about any earquake, like there are in the Pacific Northwest in Washington, Oregon and British Columbia... going back to a great earthquake/tsunami that hit the area back in the year 1700. They had a really bad quake between 8.7 and 9.2...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1700_Cascadia_earthquake

If windows pop, stuff falls off, etc. that okay, right ?
    - as long as the building stays upright -

Three moderate sized [[magnitude 5) events have occurred in the 250 years of European settlement of this region, all of them in the United States - 1929, Attica, New York, 1986, near Cleveland, Ohio, and 1998, near the Pennsylvania/Ohio border.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    High winds- March 8, 2017
    General Motors sent employees home from the Renaissance Center
    because strong winds were posing potential building problems.

Tall buildings don't always work out as planned

Published 8:16 p.m. ET Nov. 12, 2015
    RenCen sways as wind gusts hit 50 mph

Hardly an isolated incident, happened a few times over the years
    On windy days the building can sway up to thirty inches.

It's almost 2020, there won't be any engineering oversights in the new tower
    How Skyscrapers Work:

In addition to the vertical force of gravity, skyscrapers also have to deal with the horizontal force of wind. Most skyscrapers can easily move several feet in either direction, like a swaying tree, without damaging their structural integrity.

Humans don't LIKE that swaying thing, it messes with equilibrium.
    Often people simply go home , leave early, don't work a full day.

Sopite syndrome
    https://outline.com/Zy7uHN

A mismatch of signals from vestibular, visual, and proprioceptive receptors
    as integrated in the brainstem and cerebellum.

Peak acceleration threshold at 5 mG is perceptible to some occupants but unlikely to cause alarm; at 10 mG, is perceptible to most occupants

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...nalCode=rbri20
    Last edited by O3H; June-11-19 at 08:18 AM.

Archfan brings up a great point, these buildings are designed to sway. March 8th, 2017 was definitely an outlier for weather.

Name:  Windy.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  87.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Bartock... I never did get the chance to welcome you back to the forum...

O3H... go back to water & sewage. I sold off all my LEGO years ago... now finishing a 9 volume LEGO Encyclopedia deal with China's leading publisher... Who knew that with a middle class of 340 million, and with LEGO [[now the worlds leading toy) now sizzling hot in China, and the building of 80 LEGO company stores there... that I will retire on book advances and royalties...

Not bad for a LEGO nerd....
    Thanks, Gistok!

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Humans don't LIKE that swaying thing, it messes with equilibrium.
    Often people simply go home , leave early, don't work a full day.

Sopite syndrome
    https://outline.com/Zy7uHN

A mismatch of signals from vestibular, visual, and proprioceptive receptors
    as integrated in the brainstem and cerebellum.

Peak acceleration threshold at 5 mG is perceptible to some occupants but unlikely to cause alarm; at 10 mG, is perceptible to most occupants

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...nalCode=rbri20

Taipei 101 has massive damper to deal with building sway during high winds and lateral events. its pretty cool engineering

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2014/0...of-taipei.html

Let's hope they don't cut corners, take shortcuts, run out of funding in the D

Buildings that were constructed in the 1950s forward in Detroit probably could handle earthquakes up to a 6.0 or maybe closer to a 7.0. The Penobscott, Guardian, Stott, and the Book Tower are the ones that we should worry about. As far as glass is concern I would want to be within a block on the RenCen if an 7.0 earthquake or an explosion from within occur in the building.

I don't think so. Prewar skyscrapers are built like fortresses. The few skyscrapers San Francisco had remained standing after the earthquake.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Archfan brings up a great point, these buildings are designed to sway. March 8th, 2017 was definitely an outlier for weather.
    Oh, it did - I was in Tower 400 at the RenCen, and it was rocking and rolling. I did find an excuse to go to a high floor, just to see what it was like.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Oh, it did - I was in Tower 400 at the RenCen, and it was rocking and rolling. I did find an excuse to go to a high floor, just to see what it was like.
    I could only imagine what it would have been like in the center tower! The other day I found a publicly accessible stairwell in the center tower and walked to the highest floor that I could from ground level. What an intimidating building from the perspective of a stairwell!

Observing the Hudsons block construction, in my humble opinion they have lost keeping up with the Bedrock timeline. They have removed most of the concrete floor where the tower is scheduled, but with two caisson machines onsite, I see nothing happening yet on the tower portion of this development.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    Observing the Hudsons block construction, in my humble opinion they have lost keeping up with the Bedrock timeline. They have removed most of the concrete floor where the tower is scheduled, but with two caisson machines onsite, I see nothing happening yet on the tower portion of this development.
    The last article from Crain's noted they are about 300 hours behind because they keep hitting the old foundation while drilling caissons.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    The last article from Crain's noted they are about 300 hours behind because they keep hitting the old foundation while drilling caissons.
    I don't think it is necessarily 300 hours behind, but rather that they have had 300 hours of delays. Delay time could be built into the timeline

The floor of the old Hudsons site indicate many circular drilling devices that they attach readily to the caisson drilling machines. So, they have the capability to drill through any issue. They did remove one of the more modern drilling machine a couple of weeks ago. I'm not criticizing anyone, just an observation.

Skyscrapers are built by really, really, really smart people ?
    The best, brightest, intelligent, with nothing overlooked, unforeseen.

https://www.facebook.com/INSH/videos/1322291704520098/

https://medium.com/@interestingshit/...d-4cb02f04adf3
    Last edited by O3H; June-12-19 at 12:38 PM.

The Book Tower renovation is very far along, so what is the damned point of that old link?

Perhaps you missed the point - of overlooking things,
    mistakes, not enough brainstorming, even on very large,
    complex, complicated projects - around the world.
    I made zero mention of any specific site, that was the point

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The Book Tower renovation is very far along, so what is the damned point of that old link?
    There was no point, it's just the usual pointless trolling from that account.

Page 40 of 143 FirstFirst ... 30 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 50 90 140 ... LastLast