Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 19 of 143 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Not only aren't those new [[and really just a mock-up by a reddit member), but there seems to be two threads on this project that need to be combined. This is the less active one as of late.
    Actually the other thread was being used for daily construction photo updates on work progress of the complex. Maybe 2 threads is OK... one for daily images, the other on discussion of the height/design. If so... some of the discussion on the height should be brought to this thread.

Also... as 912ft. is the limit with current elevator design configurations.... that number can be increased by the use of a spire. Rooftop height is not the determining height, if there is a spire above that. The RenCen's 727 ft. is only to the 74th floor [[mechanical) rooftop. By comparison, Cleveland's tallest building the Key Tower is 888 ft. to the roof top... but listed as 947 ft..... to the top of the spire.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Actually the other thread was being used for daily construction photo updates on work progress of the complex. Maybe 2 threads is OK... one for daily images, the other on discussion of the height/design. If so... some of the discussion on the height should be brought to this thread.

Also... as 912ft. is the limit with current elevator design configurations.... that number can be increased by the use of a spire. Rooftop height is not the determining height, if there is a spire above that. The RenCen's 727 ft. is only to the 74th floor [[mechanical) rooftop. By comparison, Cleveland's tallest building the Key Tower is 888 ft. to the roof top... but listed as 947 ft..... to the top of the spire.
    I was just looking up the comparison to Key Tower. I am curious to see how the design changes or if it will be just a continuation of the box. Key Tower looks good at the height where I fear that if the current tower design is just extended it will look a bit too slender and awkward. Maybe I am wrong though.

Two threads might get a little confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

Regardless, I've now found it interesting that the Hudson's Tower [[as I will call it) will, when completed, at least become the second-tallest building in the Midwest outside of Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Regardless, I've now found it interesting that the Hudson's Tower [[as I will call it) will, when completed, at least become the second-tallest building in the Midwest outside of Chicago.
    They need to make it taller than the key tower. Go higher with a spire! Lol
    ...new tallest in Midwest outside of chicago

Our little bedroom suburb of Toronto, [[actually not that little, it's pop. is bigger than Detroit), is getting a pretty cool looking 81 storey condo tower. With no land available to developers they just keep building up everywhere.

https://www.insauga.com/photos-one-o...to-mississauga

Another bump in the anticipated height. This would make it nearly 200ft taller than the RenCen.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...12-feet-height

this makes me very happy but i wish they would do 1000 ft but i think it would just swallow up the whole skyline then.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I was just looking up the comparison to Key Tower. I am curious to see how the design changes or if it will be just a continuation of the box. Key Tower looks good at the height where I fear that if the current tower design is just extended it will look a bit too slender and awkward. Maybe I am wrong though.
    Take a look at 432 Park Avenue in New York. It's a square slender building that stands 1,396 feet without a spire. It's one of the tallest residential building in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Take a look at 432 Park Avenue in New York. It's a square slender building that stands 1,396 feet without a spire. It's one of the tallest residential building in the world.
    I am aware of that building, but it has a square footprint where this is rectangular. It also doesn't have the semi awkward looking observation deck top to deal with. The simplicity of that structure makes it work while this is going to be more complex. Just my take though.

I am aware of that building, but it has a square footprint where this is rectangular. It also doesn't have the semi awkward looking observation deck top to deal with. The simplicity of that structure makes it work while this is going to be more complex. Just my take though.
    You are correct. The Park Avenue Building in New York is squarer than this building in Detroit might be unless the design has changed to accomidate the extra height. I am for it being over 900 feet tall which the RenCen had the potential of reaching that height but was limited due to the height restriction of that day. There need to be a house cleansing of the building and safety department, inspectors, and some elected officials who stall projects development for months or evens years past targeted completion dates due to politics, incompetence, and inhouse corruption

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    You are correct. The Park Avenue Building in New York is squarer than this building in Detroit might be unless the design has changed to accomidate the extra height. I am for it being over 900 feet tall which the RenCen had the potential of reaching that height but was limited due to the height restriction of that day. There need to be a house cleansing of the building and safety department, inspectors, and some elected officials who stall projects development for months or evens years past targeted completion dates due to politics, incompetence, and inhouse corruption
    You seem to feel that Dan Gilbert cannot get around any potential delays with the city beaurocracy... you have mentioned this several times on this forum. Granted that might be a problem for small time developers... but do you have any specific examples that you can point to in regards to Gilbert? With 90 buildings in his downtown portfolio... I can't recall a single one that was discussed in the media as being hindered developmentally by the city.
    Last edited by Gistok; October-08-18 at 01:16 PM.

Big activity since the last update!

There's now a very large crane in "the pit". Also, they seem to be making a large square pit inside of the "the pit". This square is over on the side where the tallest part of the building would be.

Name:  Full.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  181.6 KB

Name:  Square.jpg
Views: 1816
Size:  121.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Big activity since the last update!

There's now a very large crane in "the pit". Also, they seem to be making a large square pit inside of the "the pit". This square is over on the side where the tallest part of the building would be.

Name:  Full.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  181.6 KB

Name:  Square.jpg
Views: 1816
Size:  121.5 KB
    Interesting development. A footing on its way to bedrock?

Looks like those white beams they installed along the walling have been covered in concrete as well. I think it’s safe to say this project has moved into the foundation stage.

I would have though they'd start from scratch with the foundation instead of using what is there already, especially for a +900 feet tower.

The Free Press did say last Friday that Bedrock will file for a foundation construction permit next month.

As of now, the foundation is 140-feet deep, all the way to the bedrock. The group will seek a foundation permit in November to begin mechanical and utility work for the basement parking structure.
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ht/1533123002/
    Last edited by Dexlin; October-09-18 at 07:09 PM.

Some huge updates to the plan, as obtained in a FOIA from Crain's.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...city-documents

Name:  DpG6-dHWkAIlb52.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  33.8 KB

I am shocked. I am not sure if the market is ready to absorb a project of this scale. But I guess his people are better at projecting 5 years out than any of us are.

I am digging this tower more than the previous version.

I hope that's it too! Not bad at all

Pretty cool that they have an elevator/turntable thing for loading and unloading trucks in the basement of the building. Lots of nuggets in this giant Google doc.

Also another nugget... there may be TWO hotel operators within the building

I agree. I like that the "podium" is now 14 stories tall, as it is the majority of the footprint.

I can hardly wait to see signs of footings and the building starting to rise.

If this ends up being the final design and height, it will stand more than TWICE as tall as it's closest skyscraper neighbor, the David Stott, which stands at 437' tall

Page 19 of 143 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 29 69 119 ... LastLast